Why Liquid Loops Stop When Full

1 hour ago, TaeganRiles said:

Depends on what your goal is I suppose, but why dump liquid out of a cooling loop and spend extra power to pump it back in when you can use reservoirs to do effectively the same thing without consuming additional power?

For the same reason stated upthread... 

Not that I understood it. 

But as to why spend power? Because sometimes you need a reservoir of infinite size. 

If you need a reservoir of infinite size and can spare the power then sure, use whatever works best for you.  Personally I don't do that unless I'm storing large quantities of liquid.

I made my build because I needed something compact with low power consumption that I can just set up, forget about, and not be concerned about the minimal power load of a 10w liquid shutoff.  It isn't over-engineering to solve a problem within given limitations.  I set myself a goal and I feel I accomplished it nicely.  I shared it here in case other players might benefit from it.

On 9/23/2019 at 3:30 PM, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Nope, just stress tested it, it does not fill up. toggle it on and off as much as you'd like. No stagnant packets or pipe blockages. I hope Zan likes the name cause I dub it the Quadruple Bridge Bypass.

5d89471d9742c_AquatunerBypassQuadrupleBridge.thumb.png.f0f5334f76b11650b6376d2a147c206a.png

Wait it can be improved!

Reveal hidden contents

2019-09-10.thumb.png.6ee280cb35fdcaa06ed435eaec60b589.thumb.png.c1a6e69a4f2fe492870c7e6de7990d82.png

:p

Maybe I'm not getting what you're trying to accomplish, but this build lets you hook up your liquid piping and let it stay connected. You could just as easily remove the liquid input and have a closed system, but this just gives it flexibility say if you wanted to filter liquid out by temperature, germs, or type.

I am honored to have my construction named. Thanks!

It may be worth noting that this was my original design using a reservoir in this regard and may help in understanding the way it works:

2019-09-26.thumb.jpg.9083b64f9e1cd9288cbc8466779200a9.jpg

This will not overfill even with the input connected. In steady state, the output of the reservoir will never have a gap, and thus the system will never overfill. When the aquatuner turns on, it will start blocking the bypass bridge. If that happens without the overflow piping, then the packet will stall at the entrance of the bridge. With the overflow pipe it can merge into the output at the T junction. Since the reservoir has extra space, stalling the output to make room for the overflow packet does not stall the input, and the loop continues functioning. When the aquatuner turns off, a gap may be created on the aquatuner output since the packets don't reach the bypass bridge in time to fill it. When this happens an extra packet is used from the reservoir, but since it has extra liquid from the last time the aquatuner turned on, the input does not stall the output. My examination of the problem showed that the full reservoir was unnecessary as it either held 10kg or 20kg, never more, and the same buffer could be constructed on the pipe layer with two bridges, bringing the total to four.

I would be very interested to know how or why a system like the quad bridge fails during save/load and if so does using a full reservoir instead of a dual bridge buffer solve the problem.

I'm glad I haven't fully checked out of this topic yet, I came close to.

11 minutes ago, ZanthraSW said:

I would be very interested to know how or why a system like the quad bridge fails during save/load and if so does using a full reservoir instead of a dual bridge buffer solve the problem.

I was under the under the impression that it had survived save/load, but I could be wrong. There seems to be an ever growing list of save/load bugs. If you save a game, shouldn't all packets be in the same location? The only thing I can think of that could change would be power or automation blips when you load in.

On 9/23/2019 at 6:54 PM, Chthonicone said:

I have had similar systems fail during reload, are you certain there are no reload shenanigans that can happen?

That question was mostly in response to this comment. I should have quoted it directly in the previous post.

Archived