Recommended Posts

BLACKBERREST3    232

I've finally gotten around to building that thing I wanted to build. I haven't seen any of these so far and the ones that I have seen try to feed the whole stack of hatches at different intervals which is very inefficient as only a handful of hatches will eat the materials while the rest starve out without producing eggs. I present to you a concept of batch processing hatches. Sorry it's not pretty, I'm just tired of working on it today. This took way too long. A brief overview; this build batch processes X amount of hatches letting them eat for X amount of time after they hatch and before they are dumped into their final holding chamber. The process then repeats. This ensures that hatches have enough calories to lay an egg before they pass on.

math

Spoiler

From the math I did which may or may not be accurate, hatches start with 6300kcal and max at 7000kcal. how many cycles should you feed them before you send them on their way? Reproduction is 1.66%/cycle when glum I believe because of rounding errors. 100/1.66=60.24cycles to reproduce 1 egg. When glum, hatches lose 140kcal/cycle. 7000/140=50cycles until starvation+10 more cycles to pass on while starving. My math could be wrong and I do not know the exact numbers, but it seems to me that you could get by with feeding a hatch for 1 cycle before passing them on to a crowding chamber.

Critter Sensor 1: set to above X amount of hatches you want to process

Critter Sensor 2: set to below 1

Critter Sensor 3: set to above 0

Filter Gate 1: used to prevent trap entrance door from opening too soon

Filter Gate 2: used to prevent premature resetting just in case a hatch jumps back in while the other enters the trap room

Filter Gate 3: used in conjunction with a xor gate to send a short timed green pulse

Filter Gate 4: part of another premade build I call the off-on pulse, the filter controls how long the trap exit door stays open while the adjacent buffer controls how long it is shut for. as long as critter sensor 3 is green, it will continue to open and close regardless if 1 or 64 hatches are in the trap room.

I use a simple 1 blob water valve-shutoff clock to control up to 10,000 seconds or 16.67 cycles

water level should be > 350kg, this number varies on what type of liquid you use as to control hatch movements. Hatches are able to jump down to eat and then return to the top of the door.

I built this with my cookie cutter base in mind let me know if there is any extraneous automation or another method/build to mass ranch hatches, I'd like to see them. I'm hoping someone creates a better one :D

Spoiler

5d8589fb6cbfe_HatchBatchProcesstemp-Automation_LI.thumb.jpg.0c2160cc748e98d98f51bab0420d8575.jpg

image.thumb.png.465247c8f1c41375e51b95a228e153af.png

5d858734aab5d_HatchBatchProcesstemp-Automation.thumb.png.d9ea7247350c9c6974addd7cd6e939eb.png

 

 

Hatch Batch Process Temp.blueprint

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
biopon    226

This is neat, I like it. Keeping critters on 1 tile is somewhat an obsession for me. 

Quick question, and I don't mean anything negative: why hatches? Fish are much less hassle and cooked fish = bbq in terms of quality. You're not after the coal because you're feeding them minimum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BLACKBERREST3    232
7 hours ago, biopon said:

Quick question, and I don't mean anything negative: why hatches? Fish are much less hassle and cooked fish = bbq in terms of quality. You're not after the coal because you're feeding them minimum. 

They are, it's just play style preference. There is also a mod with hatches I wanted to try out. In certain gigantic worlds, save scumming for vole/pacu or ranching hatches/pips is the only way to get carnivore. I couldn't get to the surface in time on that one for vole hunting and it was easier to ranch instead.

7 hours ago, biopon said:

This is neat, I like it. Keeping critters on 1 tile is somewhat an obsession for me. 

Same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello BLACKBERREST, Im tryin to build your amazing hatch farm, but im having  alittle trouble understanding it, let me explain my doubts so you can help me if you have time, basically, whats the purpose of each conveyor chute, the Conveyor Loader and the Auto-sweeper, also in the little pipe system i need to have 1 blop of water running endlessly non-stop right and well... what time i set on the filter gates and all other automation devices that need a time duration?

 

thanks for your help and time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BLACKBERREST3    232
18 hours ago, 727152_1452793555 said:

Hello BLACKBERREST, Im tryin to build your amazing hatch farm, but im having  alittle trouble understanding it, let me explain my doubts so you can help me if you have time, basically, whats the purpose of each conveyor chute, the Conveyor Loader and the Auto-sweeper, also in the little pipe system i need to have 1 blop of water running endlessly non-stop right and well... what time i set on the filter gates and all other automation devices that need a time duration?

Left Chute is for eggs. When door closes on them, no more hatches will join the batch process. This means that they won't be able to eat your resources that are dropped in the right chute, but the hatches that are in the room still can. If you fill the water line to between 350-949kg of water, then the hatches will prefer to be on top of the pneumatic door while also not drowning in the water. The hatches are still able to be coaxed by jumping down to eat the materials.

Loader is set to byproducts such as egg shells, meat, and coal. There should be a second sweeper/loader to pick up eggs on the left to send to the left chute. I just didn't think about it at the time.

Under "reveal contents" is a picture I made that displays numbers on the different automation gates/devices that should help with deciphering which is which. All of them are set to default settings (i.e 5sec or above 0) except for critter sensors 1&2. The timing on the filter with the xor gate can be set much lower than default. A 1-tic blip with a not gate did not work on the shutoff which is why I decided to use a filter gate instead. This filter really just depends on how fast the shutoff is for 1 blob of water. Filter 2 is dependent on how long your pipes segments are.

I still haven't fully tested this build to see exactly the range of cycles/seconds it takes for tamed hatches to lay an egg. If you do end up using this build, be sure to post your findings. 1 blob of water is enough for 16.67 cycles which seems excessive based on the math I did for it. You should be able to get them to lay an egg if you feed them for 0.24 cycles (absolute minimum). I would start with 5 or even 3 cycles of time, so just increase the valve value or decrease the amount of water in the pipe to reflect how much time you want to set. 600 seconds in a cycle.

I believe that the variability comes into play in when the hatches decide to eat  (minimum calorie count to hunger) and when they decide to path to eat. Mostly pathing is random because every hatch will eat to their max calorie counter.

Edited by BLACKBERREST3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Left Chute is for eggs. When door closes on them, no more hatches will join the batch process. This means that they won't be able to eat your resources that are dropped in the right chute, but the hatches that are in the room still can. If you fill the water line to between 350-949kg of water, then the hatches will prefer to be on top of the pneumatic door while also not drowning in the water. The hatches are still able to be coaxed by jumping down to eat the materials.

Loader is set to byproducts such as egg shells, meat, and coal. There should be a second sweeper/loader to pick up eggs on the left to send to the left chute. I just didn't think about it at the time.

Under "reveal contents" is a picture I made that displays numbers on the different automation gates/devices that should help with deciphering which is which. All of them are set to default settings (i.e 5sec or above 0) except for critter sensors 1&2. The timing on the filter with the xor gate can be set much lower than default. A 1-tic blip with a not gate did not work on the shutoff which is why I decided to use a filter gate instead. This filter really just depends on how fast the shutoff is for 1 blob of water. Filter 2 is dependent on how long your pipes segments are.

I still haven't fully tested this build to see exactly the range of cycles/seconds it takes for tamed hatches to lay an egg. If you do end up using this build, be sure to post your findings. 1 blob of water is enough for 16.67 cycles which seems excessive based on the math I did for it. You should be able to get them to lay an egg if you feed them for 0.24 cycles (absolute minimum). I would start with 5 or even 3 cycles of time, so just increase the valve value or decrease the amount of water in the pipe to reflect how much time you want to set. 600 seconds in a cycle.

I believe that the variability comes into play in when the hatches decide to eat  (minimum calorie count to hunger) and when they decide to path to eat. Mostly pathing is random because every hatch will eat to their max calorie counter.

Thanks alot for answering, I didn't manage to make it work, Im still very newbie, so I get stuck in simple problems, Like not being able to close the door of the left chute or the blop of water not moving, I left the water tank below 350kg, If you decide to make an improved version with the new sweeper for eggs and all, It would be amazing if you made a video building it from zero and integrating it in the base, but I won't ask you actively to make it since it can be tedious and long for you.

 

Thanks alot and cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BLACKBERREST3    232
5 hours ago, 727152_1452793555 said:

It would be amazing if you made a video

12 seconds works for filter 1. 3 seconds works for filter 3. 

On 9/20/2019 at 11:12 PM, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Critter Sensor 1: set to above X amount of hatches you want to process

Valve is your timer.

loader 1 set to everything except hatch eggs and the material you are feeding your hatches.

loader 2 set to hatch eggs

Everything else can be set to default.

 

Edited by BLACKBERREST3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now