Wheeler in DST

People underestimate nightmare fuel as a late-game source of ammunition. Any well-aged server will almost certainly have a chest with multiple full stacks of nightmare fuel, and getting more isn't difficult if you drive yourself insane or have a friend do that (just don't shoot nightmare fuel at the shadows, as that defeats the purpose). It's easier to restock than gears or gems and does the same damage. Perhaps you'd be in competition with your local Maxwell main for the fuel, but your server's supply isn't static; you could both hold your own nightmare parties.

@Canis It’s not fair.. this Wheeler thread stays in the top of General discussion while our Walani thread fades into obscurity in the Suggestions & Feedback Tab.

(But also Consoles probably need to get the Hamlet DLC and find out who Wheeler even is BEFORE we Randomly throw her into DST) lol

Walani would be a strange addition. Her background and culture is fine, dst has very diverse characters. But her main thing is she has a surf board. There are no naturally occurring waves in dst and the ocean is much calmer. You wouldn't surf on flat water.

38 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Consoles probably need to get the Hamlet DLC and find out who Wheeler even is BEFORE we Randomly throw her into DST

I see no reason why Wheeler can't be put into consoles the same way they did for Wormwood - another Hamlet character. I'm sure Klei would give a character introduction the same way they always have, with a character animated short.

Okay so I don't know whether someone voiced this out or not, but have you considered how strong she can be with krampus sack?

According to the Wheeler port idea, she is only affected by her own inventory slots. So by simply plopping all your stuff in a backpack/Krampus sack you can have free 20% speed 24/7 alongside a walking cane?

There are three scenarios to this:

Backpacks will negate her speed perk. This will force the player to choose between inventory slots or speed.

Backpacks will also count to her inventory slots, making her slower if you place more items in the backpack and faster if you place less. Think of it like this: she has a constant 20% speed boost without items, getting an inventory slot taken up will give her -1% speed. But adding more empty inventory slots will give her +1% speed. Thus, this makes Krampus sacks OPAF but also forces the player to consider whether the extra inventory slot is worth taking up.

The last thing is that backpacks totally don't affect her speed, which is what I get from this post. And it is strong. You could just keep your inventory empty and your Krampus sack full. This makes fights so easy too.

So uh what do you suggest? I personally like the backpack will negate all speed buffs cause it gives her a unique perk.

15 hours ago, Bird Up said:

Walani would be a strange addition. Her background and culture is fine, dst has very diverse characters. But her main thing is she has a surf board. There are no naturally occurring waves in dst and the ocean is much calmer. You wouldn't surf on flat water.

Waves are a thing in DST, Malbatross and the Horn item create them. Therefore, it wouldn't be *too* hard to make them spawn naturally.

Also note that RoT is ongoing development, and the ocean may not always be calm. Disregarding Walani for a sec, having waves would make ocean travel more interesting in general as you'd have to stay on course despite waves pushing you around.

I see Walani as a viable option for DST, as it'd be a perfect pick for RoT; a character designed to traverse and explore RoT content, and possibly be the character for "boat bases" and gathering materials that is / will be in the ocean.

Also I really don't get why I see people argue about things not making logical sense in Don't Starve of all games. The game has been and always will be holding the middle finger to logic.

9 hours ago, Booklover said:

Okay so I don't know whether someone voiced this out or not, but have you considered how strong she can be with krampus sack?

According to the Wheeler port idea, she is only affected by her own inventory slots. So by simply plopping all your stuff in a backpack/Krampus sack you can have free 20% speed 24/7 alongside a walking cane?

Is that so bad? This is DST, the surface and caves are huge and there's so few speed boosts in comparison to DS, I think it's completely fine and even welcome to have a character who can go faster without some sort of gimmick behind it.

Either way, using only a krampus sack as your inventory is a silly scenario that I don't think many people would do. By the time you have a krampus sack, you're likely going to have finished a lot of the big goals and moved onto stuff like mega basing, where inventory slots are incredibly valuable. I play Wigfrid with a krampus sack in my DST world, and even with her normal inventory size I find myself always lugging around shadow Chester, and still having some issues with my inventory filling up.

16 hours ago, Bird Up said:

You wouldn't surf on flat water.

Walani absolutely can, though. Surfing in the shallow water in SW and the lakes in Hamlet is completely acceptable, so why wouldn't she be able to do the same in the DST water? All three of these things have little ripple effects (DST and SW's are even identical), too.

10 hours ago, Booklover said:

Snipity snap

You mean that she is as fast as a character with full inventory wearing a yellow amulet, but she is wearing a backpack (less inventory slots) with empty inventory. 

Sure, you don't have to refuel her speed boost, but really, you would only be empty in boss fights or quick travels, but in my case, I appreciate inv slots. Also: WX? Mighty Wolfgan? Hello? 

She would be just ANOTHER speedy character. No big deal. No "OP! OP!" yelling in that aspect. 

And specially not now that spicy jelly is a thing. Everyone is Wolfgang now, and Wolfgang is as powerful as JoeW. Why do you need speed when you hit like a Mexican mom with a slipper? 

Also, I am not a Wheeler superfan, don't get me wrong. But I think the char is fun and has cool things, and way worse in terms of perks that, say, Wagstaff (dude is a monster). 

14 hours ago, Booklover said:

if you have krampus sack, you deserve all its benefits

this argument only makes sense if wheeler spawns with the krampus sack at the start of the game

I think the main reason people DON’T want Wheeler in DST (Yet) is because of how absurdly overpowered her abilities sound.

Why is she the only character with a “Dodge” Ability for example?

I don’t Think anyone minds with Single Player DS because it’s Single Player, but.. How completely Busted would she be outside of Hamlet inside a Multiplayer Setting?

Wheeler would Instantly become the go to choice in all PvP Servers.

Walani on the other hand fits the theme of RoT perfectly and being able to craft Surfboards for others to use (that Degrade over use) seems more fitting then the only character who can Dodge.

But You never know.. Maybe when Wheeler gets added to DST they will give all characters a Dodge ability and add new enemies with new A.I. behaviors.

Kinda like how Minecraft was the same old Minecraft for years and years and then one day.. they decided to change it by doing something known as the Combat Update.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wheeler would Instantly become the go to choice in all PvP Servers.

Please, not this again. Let's not balance based on PvP stuff, we lost good ol' Woodie because of this and got a useless character for maaaaany months. Wortox is in the gane, mind you, and he is probably the best in a pvp scenario.

And just in case people think about pay to win, Wigfrid or Wolfgang still have an incredible advantage in this mode. 

But, again: let's not mix pvp and balance, please. 

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

But You never know.. Maybe when Wheeler gets added to DST they will give all characters a Dodge ability and add new enemies with new A.I. behaviors.

Enter the Gungeon music quietly plays in the background

21 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Either way, using only a krampus sack as your inventory is a silly scenario that I don't think many people would do. By the time you have a krampus sack, you're likely going to have finished a lot of the big goals and moved onto stuff like mega basing, where inventory slots are incredibly valuable. I play Wigfrid with a krampus sack in my DST world, and even with her normal inventory size I find myself always lugging around shadow Chester, and still having some issues with my inventory filling up.

16 hours ago, Jessie223 said:

if you have krampus sack, you deserve all its benefits

this argument only makes sense if wheeler spawns with the krampus sack at the start of the game

Except with her pew-matic horn and stingers or beefalo wool (that you can get en masse with just a razor) she can kill birds and rabbits easily, forcing Krampii to spawn. Even better if you don't shave the beefalos and actually kill them for their wool and meat and some bonus naughty points. She would be the 2nd best character to farm krampus sack after Wickerbottom. But differently to Wickerbottom, she spawns with the means of farming the krampus sack straight away (Wicker needs to craft birds of the world AND sleepytime stories). I am not taking in account the pew-matic possible durability and crafting cost though (because honestly, we should expect them, it might sound like an innocent little thing that might need a buff, but is actually far more versatile and powerful than it looks).

20 hours ago, Misa22 said:

She would be just ANOTHER speedy character. No big deal. No "OP! OP!" yelling in that aspect. 

Speed is a big deal though. You can discover points of interest sooner (swamp, oasis, ruins, etc.), you can do more things in a day (so you can prepare better for next seasons or problems), and it helps a ton for combat (kiting). Just a bit of extra speed is a huge bonus for any character. But not only that, despite Wheeler's very low health (only more than Maxwell), she can actually "tank" some enemies thanks to her dodge ability.

-----

TL; DR: Wheeler is just OP. Pew-matic let's her get easy feathers, morsels (food), and farm for krampus sack by killing birds and rabbits left and right; all of this while getting rid of useless, or near useless, items like bee stingers. Has natural speed boost even with a full inventory (5% speed increase over regular characters), making her better at kiting, scouting, spelunking, and prepare for future problems. Can pseudo-tank enemies with her dodge ability.

1 hour ago, pedregales said:

Except with her pew-matic horn and stingers or beefalo wool (that you can get en masse with just a razor) she can kill birds and rabbits easily, forcing Krampii to spawn. Even better if you don't shave the beefalos and actually kill them for their wool and meat and some bonus naughty points. She would be the 2nd best character to farm krampus sack after Wickerbottom. But differently to Wickerbottom, she spawns with the means of farming the krampus sack straight away (Wicker needs to craft birds of the world AND sleepytime stories). I am not taking in account the pew-matic possible durability and crafting cost though (because honestly, we should expect them, it might sound like an innocent little thing that might need a buff, but is actually far more versatile and powerful than it looks).

Lol yeah, a Wheeler is going to get a krampus sack in less than 10 days from shooting birds and rabbits.

And what about Butterflies? Regular players can easily kill those for 1 naughtiness, It's also fairly simple for a character to kill a rabbit, simply attack it between it and it's home and you should easily kill it.

Speed is a big deal though. You can discover points of interest sooner (swamp, oasis, ruins, etc.), you can do more things in a day (so you can prepare better for next seasons or problems), and it helps a ton for combat (kiting). Just a bit of extra speed is a huge bonus for any character. But not only that, despite Wheeler's very low health (only more than Maxwell), she can actually "tank" some enemies thanks to her dodge ability.

Wheeler's speed boost can go from 1.05x to 1.17x

Sure speed is powerful, but 5-17% more isn't overpowered, Wolfgang can go up to 25% faster, Wx-78 up to 50% faster, Weregoose up to 1.4x faster.

Except with her pew-matic horn and stingers or beefalo wool (that you can get en masse with just a razor) she can kill birds and rabbits easily, forcing Krampii to spawn. Even better if you don't shave the beefalos and actually kill them for their wool and meat and some bonus naughty points.

You're describing such a specific strat that I'm not sure I believe anyone has ever done (shaving beefalo for pewmatic ammo?), and it's one that I don't even believe would be effective in the context you're trying to present it. Before day 50, only a single Krampus spawns from being naughty, and the 1% drop chance of a Krampus sack is only going to be rolled once from killing that Krampus. In my opinion, if you're actually willing to kill potentially thousands of birds and rabbits, one by one, to get a Krampus sack in the early game, you deserve it, and could've done the same thing with butterflies if you're that incredibly determined.

But not only that, despite Wheeler's very low health (only more than Maxwell), she can actually "tank" some enemies thanks to her dodge ability.

Technically, but not practically. Wheeler's dodge gives her invincibility frames, but her armor still takes damage, so if you're dodging into mobs to tank them then you're still losing armor durability. But if you take the armor off and go into a fight naked, you're risking a lot because of the low health. And "just don't get hit" isn't valid here imo, as using Wheeler's dodge like this makes kiting patterns kind of unpredictable since you can't be sure of how many hits you're able to get in before you need to dodge again.

You can discover points of interest sooner (swamp, oasis, ruins, etc.), you can do more things in a day (so you can prepare better for next seasons or problems)

And that'll certainly give her an early-game boost! But... then what? The map is limited, you'll run out of things to scout eventually, and the seasons are so predictable that you only really need to prepare for them once unless you're using niche strats. Once again, this kind of perk is only going to help out for the early game and will then simply make megabasing activities less tedious.

morsels (food)

Morsels are... honestly some of the worst food imo. They're meat, which means they have the annoying long eating animation, but they only give as much hunger as a cooked berry. Of course, you could make them into meatballs, but that requires you to stop exploring and set up a base or just a crock pot, in which case you could be using much better food sources and recipes.

42 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wheeler is broken and OP but Walani would fit into DST as good as Warly. #WeWantWalani

Walani's one of my favorite characters in the series, and one of the only characters I actively play in DS... but you don't see me trying to derail another character's thread to talk about her. It's pretty rude imo to make 5 separate replies here about how much you want Walani. I don't think anyone would be bothered if you made your own thread about her, or bumped an older one.

No one said this yet about Wheeler's iframes, but unless you're the host it won't be reliable.

Woodlegs > Walani for DST as of now, at least he would be able to clear salt rocks and that's about it really, unless you like killing Malbatross. Walani would be a slightly safer but slower Woodie. So, unless Klei add something more to either of those two or the sea, I can't see them being implemented.

2 minutes ago, Starlogy said:

Honestly, if she was brought in the same way Warly was, aka counting as a character rework and not as a DLC character, I'd be cool with that.

Wormwood was designed for DST ahead of his Hamlet release, he was already planned to be part of DST. So Wormwood is the only DLC character who is not completely exclusive to DST.

They said we would have FOUR DST Exclusive DLC Characters, Warly was a Rework so I am not really counting him or Wormwood However because he was in Hamlet.

However what I WILL count is WINONA.

So Winona, Wortox, Wurt.

Yup that’s still just 3, So there’s One more to come.

2nd SW character - most likely during late spring/early summer I bet Walani, due to needing a 'refresh' the most compared to Wilbur/Woodlegs plus it would solve the weaker Wilson clone debate (May - June)

2nd Ham character - similar spot to Warly I bet Wheeler, due to her not being another tree chopper like Wagstaff/Wilba plus in DST there's no range combat characters which is fairly unique (July)

Waverly or Wilton - around October cuz Halloween, Waverly design, potential is strong plus wizard of Oz/ Wilton would be interesting, he? or she? kind of reminds me of the pumpkin king (high 5's who get that reference)

edit: I almost forgot Wallace might be a Scottish vampire which might be cool except he on fire during the day (Bram stockers Vlad Dracula)

after Wendy, I think they'll refresh top tier characters (Wicker, Wx-78, Wolfgang)

29 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wormwood was designed for DST ahead of his Hamlet release, he was already planned to be part of DST. So Wormwood is the only DLC character who is not completely exclusive to DST.

They said we would have FOUR DST Exclusive DLC Characters, Warly was a Rework so I am not really counting him or Wormwood However because he was in Hamlet.

However what I WILL count is WINONA.

So Winona, Wortox, Wurt.

Yup that’s still just 3, So there’s One more to come.

N- no?..... The developers say what are new characters, and they've counted Wormwood as a new character.... I'm not sure why you're trying to say What's a new character and what's a rework

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

N- no?..... The developers say what are new characters, and they've counted Wormwood as a new character.... I'm not sure why you're trying to say What's a new character and what's a rework

This can truly go both ways. Alot of people say there is one more coming, and alot of people say that's it. 

4 minutes ago, GetRektKids said:

This can truly go both ways. Alot of people say there is one more coming, and alot of people say that's it. 

Yes, one more character is coming.

Wormwood, Wortox and Wurt counted as new character while Warly is a rework.

Winona is a new character from a while ago and not part of this new series of new characters

Archived