Wheezeworts, how do they work now?

1 hour ago, Dosephshih said:

Um...I am not 100% if my memory still correct, wheezewort would cool the gas by 5C at the rate of 1kg/s. Therefore, if it is immersed in Hydrogen, the cooling load is 12kDTU/s.

However, if it is put in oxygen, the cooling load become 5kDTU/s, since the heat capacity is different.

In the good old days, we can just put it in hydrogen and set up a cooling chamber and then forget it. Now, it would need access for fertilizing every day. It is still useful depends on your build. But just need to ensure you have enough Phosphorus which is not difficult, and a little bit dupes time, which is also not difficult. 

I would still use it if the following conditions are met:

1. Cannot use the e-fan;

2. Phosphorus is not a concern at the moment;

3. heat load is not very high, e.g. ~a few kDTU/s;

4. May not set up turbine for cooling in the future, or cannot wait for that;

In conclusion, I can plant them next to the something like Kitchen to absorb the little steady heat.

Dupe's time is optional if you stick an autosweeper in there with a phosphorus conveyor receptacle. You can have another autosweeper load the conveyor with a central repository of phosphorus. This way instead of taking nickles and dimes to your wheezeworts, you are taking 1500+ at a time, enough for days. The power cost is minimal as the system will sit idle most of the time.

On 9/22/2019 at 10:26 AM, Chthonicone said:

Might be harsh, but there are at least 4 people who have come into this thread with "LOL, just trash them" with no reasoning given other than that they think wheezeworts suck now. I might be more inclined to listen to their argument if they ever actually gave one.

Honestly, they're just spamming a thread without giving any useful input.

Well, I would tell you exactly what you can do with your stance, but, unlike you, I try to adhere to the community standards.

Well, not completely. Your "harsh" stance just indicates a closed mind. Reasons have been given often enough, you are just choosing to ignore them.

We're here to discuss the function of wheezeworts, not beat up veteran players into compliance. Try to provide useful information that any player can take advantage of, thanks.

Wheezeworts provide cooling. They provide more direct heat deletion than ice makers, but ice makers can create more ice if you hide the extra heat elsewhere. Worts are low tech, they are very easy to set up in an early colony, and they are a band aid fix for solving very minor heat problems. 

Don't try using worts to cool down boiling water. Don't try using worts to cool down entire swimming pools, or tame a volcano, or to save a steam geyser. Don't use worts to cool down a refinery/kiln/glass forge/rocket, or any of your hot industry in general. Worts just don't have that kind of raw output. 

Do use worts to save your 35C farm by bringing it back down to 30C. Do use worts as a handy way to cool down hot oxygen from electrolyzers. Do use worts as a way to keep your batteries and transformers from cooking. Hydrogen gives the maximum wort efficiency, so definitely use your worts in sealed hydrogen rooms. You can fertilize farm tiles from underneath, so a room with worts can stay perfectly sealed.

I've got hundreds of hours in the game and I still don't understand how to use steam turbines.  I'm on cycle 600 or something like that right now in my latest world and I'm using Wheezeworts for cooling.  It's amazing how many people say they're useless.

Sad to see this thread has gone to three pages.  It could have stopped at one.  But here I am adding to it...

Archived