[Announcement] Uncompromising Mode

ADM

Hi everyone, today's a great day for all your amazing suggestions you have to offer to the Don't Starve Together community !

Cause we're opening a project that will sure please you :

uncompromisingmode.png.80db0c35c8aba39faa435eebba24f80b.pngUncompromising Mode - https://discord.gg/UF7FKpn uncompromisingmode.png.80db0c35c8aba39faa435eebba24f80b.png

fancy_banner_dark.png.5219c719164c07284f03dae916569953.png

What is this all about ?

- Uncompromising Mode will be a bit more than a simple mod collab, since everyone can be part of it. (Also started by Canis and me)

- You can see most of the informations on the server at the #where_am_i channel, but here is what you need to know :

0.png.ee3e2a8d38f74bbf2b5c27f64de64bfe.png

1. We have a "Fresh to Hot" system : You must start a new concept from the #mod_scrap channel and wait for feedbacks, corrections or improvements of your idea, everyone can help by submitting or reacting more stuff.
  2. Since we use the Klei's Forum emotes too, you can show your impressions over what is in #mod_scrap, if something have mostly positive results, you should rewrite it with a detailed version of your idea in #mod_submissions.
  3. We read all the submissions, and if you have been approved from the scrap, there is lot of chance we place it in a poll.
  4. The #mod_polls channel is the last step, the final vote and if your result are positive here, you're in. We will recreate your concept as original as we can from the details you give. And there you are, you improved the game experience.
  5. Everything that is added from your ideas will be compiled at the #mod_updates channel every week or so.

- The mod will be updated monthly (or so, once again) depending of the quantity and kind of submitted ideas, every features can be enabled/disabled from configurations : This have to be a uncompromising experience.

What kind of content ?

Just like before, #where_am_i channel is your friend ! But we're looking for everything, mostly what can make the game entertaining for a longer time and fix what the game is lacking on, so if it is mobs, biomes, events, minigames, bosses, equipements, ressources, weathers, effects, game modes...

anything, go for it !

The only avoided stuff is characters and tweaking what already exist in statistics, since there is mostly all what you can looks for on the workshop.

Talking about Workshop ...

We're not only a space for discussing over your ideas but we also offer you dedicated space (channel) for your creations if you are a modder or an artist.

It can helps you advertising your content, and ask for commissions, this is your place, do what you want, as long it's Don't Starve related and in #rules.

Also, we'll open a dedicated server running the U.M after the mod release this month (hopefully), you will have all the informations of the server on the Discord.

Can I help ?

Yeees ! Modders, artists, animators, or anything that sounds useful to you can join the team, we don't ask you to do the stuff we're adding unless you want to help on your free time. Your contribution is always appreciated.

Is there a meme channel ?

Come and see : https://discord.gg/UF7FKpn

We're looking for you to improve the game experience, anything hardcore or more fun can be toggled depending of what you're looking for ! :wilson_vforvictory:

Edited by ADM
  • Potato Cup 2

Hey @ADM it would be nice if you said that this entire thing was my idea and all.

Anyways, adding on to the OP:

Uncompromising Mode is going to be a mod that completely changes DST, similar to the amount of a DLC. It's going to make your life harder, but more rewarding (and also more fun). Think of Terraria's Expert Mode, but better.

It's a "By the Veterans, For the Veterans" thing. Also yes, I used the V word again OoooOooOOoOOOOoo

Here is a sneak peek of what's going to be the first in our to-do list.

Hardcore mode:

"No second Chances."
0.png?width=1008&height=559

(Everything's subject to change.)

Edited by Canis

2 hours ago, Canis said:

Hey @ADM it would be nice if you said that this entire thing was my idea and all.

If you mean that your entire idea is the hardcore mode, well it's completely true, it will be part of the mod. But the thing of a submission system using discord to create a mod was pretty much from me. :wilson_wink: There's no credit but just a name : 0.png.f279c874659db813e06708d14a9e64cb.png

Edit : Oh and the name of the mod is from you of course.

Edited by ADM

There was one more ambitious mod-pack project in past, I believe the complete name was Unnatural Selection with something akin these goals, aka make DST more complex and harder in a fun way: more mobs, more interactions etc. Seems is dead and from what I gather was because certain disagreements between modders - also time involved and complexity beyond, apparently, what people were able/willing to invest. So just as a cautionary tale: if you lot already are arguing about trivial stuff like "is me idea, no me, me"... needless to say where this might also be going.

Beside the mentioned I guess good luck in your endeavor, am sure there's an audience for such throw-back at the single player's mechanics and so-called "uncompromising survival" :encouragement:

5 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

There was one more ambitious mod-pack project in past, I believe the complete name was Unnatural Selection with something akin these goals, aka make DST more complex and harder in a fun way: more mobs, more interactions etc. Seems is dead and from what I gather was because certain disagreements between modders - also time involved and complexity beyond, apparently, what people were able/willing to invest. So just as a cautionary tale: if you lot already are arguing about trivial stuff like "is me idea, no me, me"... needless to say where this might also be going.

Beside the mentioned I guess good luck in your endeavor, am sure there's an audience for such throw-back at the single player's mechanics and so-called "uncompromising survival" :encouragement:

It officially stopped ? :( This mod was looking so great, especially all those new shadows creatures !

It's so bad that we didn't had a playable version before it is gone...

Just now, ADM said:

It officially stopped ? :( This mod was looking so great, especially all those new shadows creatures !

It's so bad that we didn't had a playable version before it is gone...

There's no official word, but for 2 years now there weren't any news, no more talks about anything, and the rumor is the mod-pack's dead and its modders moved on. You can check for yourself here - mod's Klei forums subsection, the mod's Steam group page and Discord to see 1st hand. Maybe even get in touch with one of the core-modders to get a solid conclusion.

1 hour ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

I just want my name in the post because im a narc, don't worry. /s

Edited by Canis

For those who want the game to brutal and unforgiving give them just that- Brutal and Unforgiving, make it so health can only be healed with medical items, think you can survive through a cold winters night?

not when the wind keeps blowing out your torch and campfires you won’t!

Disable the Map completely so players have to rely on placing items in their world to remember where they are and where they’ve come from.

Disable all character abilities & traits so they’re only purpose is purely for personal cosmetic choice.

greatly reduce the amount of the “Very Important” Resources you are able to find in the world, such as Golden nugget rocks, flint.. when you spend 22 days just wandering around the map just trying to build your first tier science machine I’m pretty sure you’ll find the game brutal and unforgiving enough.

40% or below sanity drain will also begin to decrease your hunger meter, because when your insane you can’t tell if your hungry or not! 

Enemy Bosses such as Bearger has a small chance to spawn in pairs of Two or Three.

Resurrection items such as Amulet of Life and the Resurrection Stone Slabs can only be used ONCE per game.. and by only one person.

revival hearts require 50% of a players own health bar to bring someone back from being a ghost, and to further add pressure to this situation.. you better have some hearts on hand at all time cause you’ll only have 60 seconds to revive them before their ghost perishes for good.

so in other words- Don’t Starve... Together, or else suffer some heavy costs for it when you let your buddies die.

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Disable the Map completely so players have to rely on placing items in their world to remember where they are and where they’ve come from.

How about instead of entire removal, make it only accessible if you have a map in your inventory, crafted at the cartography desk

Just now, Mooagain said:

How about instead of entire removal, make it only accessible if you have a map in your inventory, crafted at the cartography desk

As long as players have absolutely no way at all of finding one Another (such as crafting and holding in their inventory the celestial moon rocks) then i guess it’s okay- the general idea was that players would have to rely on sticking together & not wandering off to die somewhere unknown to the rest of their buddies, cause if they do- the entire group suffers extreme consequences for it.

A friendly word of advice from someone who's been down that road of being in a community that was making a game for themselves:

Don't approach this as 'fixing' the game, but rather enjoy the very process of seeing your friend's and your own ideas coming to fruition. (More on the reasons for this later). But first here's what the head of that project taught me that is super helpful:

Every RPG game is bound to limited types of action, or quests. In broad terms you can:

1- Fight - self explanatory. But there are a bunch of different types of fight that can be applied to a single game.

2- Gather - The collection of items that may be important or essential to the progression of the game. Items may need to be gathered once or many times, periodically or not.

3- Scout - The exploration of the world, not always essential, or maybe partially essential.

4- Deliver - A combination of gathering and scouting, but in a sequential and specific way. Fighting may also be combined as an obstacle to the final delivery of the item.

5- Build - The modification either of items or of the world's environment. (buying items in-game or upgrading them is considered here, as modifying in-game currency into another item)

6- Manage Stats - Either permanent changes or temporary, essential or not. Stats are what modulates how the character interacts with certain aspects of the environment. Be it temperature, hunger, or mobs attacks. 

A bonus action of sorts is Inaction. Sometimes you just have to wait.

With that in mind, there has been no truly unique RPG invention in a long time, and what really matters in RPG games is the aesthetic and style of it. Each game will have a different way of conducting each action, and also a different focus. How much is each needed, how often, to what narrative goal.

As for upping the difficulty, which is the focus of this thread, there are four ways of doing it:

1- Making specific actions harder to coordinate: Actions that require difficult hand-eye coordination or quick thinking. Mostly applied to fights.

2- Modifying stats: Making environment interactions more punitive. You can modify a stat directly (like sanity drain, or the sandstorm modifying your speed) or indirectly (by not changing its actual value, but rather its comparative value, such as increasing the attack of a mob, which reduces your comparative defense or HP)

2- Requiring complex interactions between two or more different actions: Goals that require many actions to be fulfilled, sometimes in chaotic order. An example being having to gather an item in an unscouted location, that is kept by an enemy, while pressuring the player to manage their stats.

3- Time consumption: Goals that require a long time or effort to be completed. An example being having to find an item that is hidden in such a way that requires extensive scouting, or a fight that takes a long time. Time spent can be considered a difficulty in itself, but it also gives time and opportunity for other difficulties to arise.

4- Time limitation: Goals required to be fulfilled within a certain limit, pressuring better time management. Here time consumption may also be used in a way that delays the player from being able to start their next required action, giving them time limitation for a later goal.

Those items are for upping the difficulty of quests that the player already knows, but learning a brand new quest is a fifth type of difficulty in itself. 

So while one way of upping the difficulty in DST is messing with the world settings for less resources, longer nights, and more mobs, it's that last type of difficulty -- learning brand new quests -- that I think you guys are interested in.

So that's why I started the comment the way I did, and here's my friendly and experienced word of advice:

You will get used to everything. Recently Hamlet was released, and it used all of the items listed, including the need to learn a LOT of new things (which many of us did by just reading the wikis and forums for quick answers). At first that DLC is very hard to survive for a long time, until you learn all the ropes. FFS, before I knew there was an Aporkalypse, let alone how to control it, it was impossible. But it just took a couple of months for the Hamlet forum to be in the same state as the DST forums in terms of wanting more. So please do not think of this project as a long term patch to boredom. Especially because there is a long road between coming up with a super exciting concept and implementing it. I love that you're all commited to updating the mod monthly and will be gathering from a wide pool of idea-havers. Remember to focus on that! There will be a lot to make and that will be the most fun!

Edited by sinisterrkid

On 19/09/2019 at 7:46 PM, Canis said:

Uncompromising Mode is going to be a mod that completely changes DST, similar to the amount of a DLC. It's going to make your life harder, but more rewarding (and also more fun). Think of Terraria's Expert Mode, but better.

Dunno, so far your Hardmode mentions only difficulty, not the grand rewards that Terraria's Expert Mode would offer

The Wiki and Gitlab Repository is now public.

We are looking for people to contribute to the project (coders, artists, veterans, testers)

Repository:

https://gitlab.com/uncompromising-survival/uncompromising-survival/tree/master

Wiki:

https://gitlab.com/uncompromising-survival/uncompromising-survival/wikis/home

Changelist - Current changes and planned ones can be found here:

https://gitlab.com/uncompromising-survival/uncompromising-survival/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

Feel free to join our Discord and vote for change suggestions in #mod_submissions and #mod_polls

https://discord.gg/bcEWT3U

Your idea can make it in the mod too if people vote for it.

Enjoy

Logo by @ Ismael Daniel

Probably not final version

Alternative logo

Also, we are looking for Beta Testers, please pop in the #beta-testing channel to iron out crashes and bugs

Coders and artists are always nice.

Current changelist and roadmap: https://gitlab.com/uncompromising-survival/uncompromising-survival/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

Edited by loopuleasa

I'm not sure I like the whole body thing. It seems like it'd just be super boring. Maybe you could make it so you spectated while you were dead, so you'd have something to look at other than an empty screen?

I'd post this on the discord, but the link's expired...