Klei, explain to me your logic

Guest aresd

14 hours ago, aresd said:

I do not think so. This will be theft of other people's ideas and vice versa will push the developers away. No one will develop mods if the developer will theft it. Any mod is almost a guarantee that this thing will not be in the official game

This is not the case, Klei has already implemented some modders ideas. 

10 hours ago, Oxygenbreather said:

Repair is a little awkward altogether. why does it eat resources, but destroying the building and rebuilding it doesn't? Not that I'm complaining, I've "fixed" almost everything the second way to save on them..

Yes, Repair should be in "building" if not a category by itself.

Any resources used in repairing pops back out afterward. You can't repair with zero resources but you don't use any up.

14 hours ago, aresd said:

I do not think so. This will be theft of other people's ideas and vice versa will push the developers away. No one will develop mods if the developer will theft it. Any mod is almost a guarantee that this thing will not be in the official game

What kind of a thought is this? People mod for free because there are things in the game that they want but don't exist. If the devs implement them in the game that just means that the feature will now get official support. If you're upset that the devs decided to implement your mod in the game then go play another game.

4 hours ago, Squeegee said:

This is not the case, Klei has already implemented some modders ideas. 

Can I find out which ones?

3 hours ago, bleeter6 said:

Any resources used in repairing pops back out afterward. You can't repair with zero resources but you don't use any up.

What kind of a thought is this? People mod for free because there are things in the game that they want but don't exist. If the devs implement them in the game that just means that the feature will now get official support. If you're upset that the devs decided to implement your mod in the game then go play another game.

What is the motivation to do something if your work can be taken away?

I'm not talking about those things that just adjust the parameters of any building. For example, changing the power of a high-voltage wire from pure metal from 20 to 50 kilowatts (was this in principle obvious, because initially for the manufacture of such a wire much more resources were required for the manufacture of pure metal, and all this for the difference of +5 decor?). This is not a full-fledged work, it is just a change in the numbers in a text file.

What should you do if you created a model of a building, developed a concept, spent many weeks on time, gained great popularity, and the developers, seeing that your idea is popular, put this into the game, redoing it a bit so that there are no claims to copyright. Will you be motivated to do anything further?

5 hours ago, aresd said:

What should you do if you created a model of a building, developed a concept, spent many weeks on time, gained great popularity, and the developers, seeing that your idea is popular, put this into the game

man, i'd be like.. crazy happy! to know that something I did, could make it into the actual game that I love..?! that would be freaking awesome!!

3 minutes ago, thewreckedangle said:

man, i'd be like.. crazy happy! to know that something I did, could make it into the actual game that I love..?! that would be freaking awesome!!

Not everyone thinks so, so many games that support modifications partially support copyright the developer of the mod. I do not take this information from the ceiling and do not rely on fabrications. I am based on what really exists.

I think the reasoning is because it's a generally non-essential task (a lot of damage happens before breakage) that should be done when the base is otherwise free of important stuff to do. It really should have its own category, though.

12 hours ago, aresd said:

What is the motivation to do something if your work can be taken away?

Taken away how? It's now officially in the game.

12 hours ago, aresd said:

What should you do if you created a model of a building, developed a concept, spent many weeks on time, gained great popularity, and the developers, seeing that your idea is popular, put this into the game, redoing it a bit so that there are no claims to copyright. Will you be motivated to do anything further?

YES. There is no claim to copyright on a game that YOU DID NOT MAKE. And seeing how if I made a mod it would be to add something not present in the game, double yes, since IT IS NOW OFFICIALLY IN THE GAME. Again, if you're upset that the devs decided to implement your mod in the game then go play another game.

33 minutes ago, bleeter6 said:

Taken away how? It's now officially in the game.

YES. There is no claim to copyright on a game that YOU DID NOT MAKE. And seeing how if I made a mod it would be to add something not present in the game, double yes, since IT IS NOW OFFICIALLY IN THE GAME. Again, if you're upset that the devs decided to implement your mod in the game then go play another game.

A mod developer has an automatic copyright over any assets that they create. That copyright still exists even if they publish their mod on the internet, and even if they do so without any expectation of compensation. No company can make money off of assets created by a mod author without a contract in place or they open themselves up to potential legal trouble. Assets include but are not limited to models, textures, icons, sound effects, music, etc. 

Ideas can't be copyrighted, and so ideas and ONLY ideas can be used by the devs as much as they want without any danger.

All that being said, there is a right way and a wrong way for a dev to handle the situation where they want to add a mod into a game. Right ways include offering a contract to the modder to buy the assets, getting the modder to waive their copyright on their assets, or getting the modder's permission to integrate the mod's ideas with the agreement that none of the assets created by the mod author would be used.

If a game developer were to take a mod's ideas and add them to the base game without using any of the mod author's assets and without getting their blessing, then there isn't anything stopping them from doing that, but if this happened to a mod that I wrote then I'd probably be pretty annoyed about it.

Most game developers avoid this whole mess by not allowing any of their devs to publicly admit to using any mods. Even if they publish a game with a mod API integrated, the company's official stance will be that no one has ever seen or used any mods, and therefore all assets and ideas were not influenced by the modding community in any way. That gives them perfect legal protection against any copyright claims.

42 minutes ago, Erasmus Crowley said:

A mod developer has an automatic copyright over any assets that they create.

And modding is an actually illegal activity that entirely works on the honour system and no-one caring because it's more profitable to let it continue.

1 hour ago, Yunru said:

And modding is an actually illegal activity that entirely works on the honour system and no-one caring because it's more profitable to let it continue.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to communicate here.

The quotation makes me think you might be trying to suggest that mod authors automatically waive their copyrights to their created assets because mods in general are (usually) made illegally. If so, that's not true.

Sure, game devs could probably sue the mod author for copyright violations and violations of the DMCA anti-circumvention rules. That doesn't mean they get an automatic ownership of the assets that the mod author created. Game devs can't break copyright laws, just because the modder broke a law first.

Just now, Erasmus Crowley said:

Sure, game devs could probably sue the mod author for copyright violations and violations of the DMCA anti-circumvention rules. That doesn't mean they get an automatic ownership of the assets that the mod author created. Game devs can't break copyright laws, just because the modder broke a law first.

Sure, and modders can't break the law to make mods for the game devs to include.

It's like talking about monopoly laws when dealing with the black market: pointless.

Just now, Yunru said:

Sure, and modders can't break the law to make mods for the game devs to include.

It's like talking about monopoly laws when dealing with the black market: pointless.

My point is, game dev companies have much more "skin in the game". They have legal teams advising them not to break any laws. They are highly motivated to stay safe at all times. So as a general rule game devs are prohibited from even looking at mods for their own games, in fear that they might be opening the company up to a lawsuit that destroys the company.

A person might make a mod because they know that game companies basically never sue modders. Companies are far less willing to take that risk, and their legal counsel would never knowingly let it happen.

@aresd Aww you worked so hard on an asset over the weekend and coded all of your new code based on years worth of work of many people that made the game. You deserve to put up a patreon or Kofi for your efforts.

God forbid for the developers to notice something missing from their game and implement it without using your weekend asset or the code you made out of the game code, because the idea is what matters the most, the whole concept of the game pales in comparison.

This is the reason games like Rimworld have specific Eula for this nonsense. Theft? Give me a break.

8 hours ago, melquiades said:

@aresd Aww you worked so hard on an asset over the weekend and coded all of your new code based on years worth of work of many people that made the game. You deserve to put up a patreon or Kofi for your efforts.

God forbid for the developers to notice something missing from their game and implement it without using your weekend asset or the code you made out of the game code, because the idea is what matters the most, the whole concept of the game pales in comparison.

This is the reason games like Rimworld have specific Eula for this nonsense. Theft? Give me a break.

So much sarcasm

8 hours ago, Erasmus Crowley said:

you came here in vain with common sense. This is not welcome here. Everything that runs counter to the narrow concept of a majority world is immediately prone to attack and destruction.

I tried to explain about the same thing and they immediately attacked me

I’m probably not going to come here anymore so as not to disturb anyone here with my presence

Archived