An Open Letter to Klei

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

I don't understand why there are so many threads like this, when this is how Don't Starve as a series has always been.

Because that Woodie's remake shows It seems like KLei 's Staff never played Woodie before.

5d8075bda68d4_WrongLucypicinmenupage..thumb.png.1a9d9e7e5ba15ffbdabcb15fb7f36c72.png

As you see, in the new menu Lucy pic is wrong.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

I'm sorry to say, but it's okay for you to move on to another game. You don't have to play DST forever.

Oh,That hurt.

My main issue is more with the games feel / atheistic, or loss of such.

The way I best see this embodied is the reworks. Lets go through a couple of them, shall we?

Pre-rework Woodie is a lumberjack who has an axe he can speak to and turns into the werebeaver, which can cut down trees at a rather fast rate.

Post-rework Woodie is a Canadian themed D&D druid with the flavortext of a lumberjack, who can transform into three different animals, the original werebever, the weregoose, which can walk on water and completely skip the new ocean section of the game, and a macho 90% dmg reduction weremoose.

Pre-rework Willow is a girl with a lighter and a severe case of pyromania. She is immune to fire, but will sometimes light fires when insane, sticking to the theme of her pyromania. She has a teddy bear that can dance to distract nightmare creatures.

Post-rework Willow is a girl with a lighter who likes fire. She is immune to fire, dislikes the cold, and has a teddy bear that transforms into a gigantic warrior that slays enemies with ease.

I don't agree with this post. I don't think the game needs to be harder. The difficulty exists for new players, and once they figure things out the game becomes easy for them. From there, you either quit if you've only played for the difficulty and try new games or start to give yourself your own goals to keep yourself entertained with the game. I've seen quite a few people say "Why would I want to go to the Lunar Island and make a Glass Cutter if I can just make a dark sword at my base?" and I feel that those people are the kind that don't really enjoy DST anymore for what it is and want to make it into something different to better suit their wants.

I think Klei knows exactly what they're doing with the updates and reworks. Playing DST has been a blast for me lately, despite the fact that I've already played the game for a very long time. The reworked characters are fun, too. Each one has unique abilities and their mechanics make you play each one differently. It's almost like each character is a new game mode rather than a tool to get a specific job done.

Also, please don't write this post as if you're representing every player that has played DS or DST for a long time. It's clear from the replies that there aren't as many people that agree with this as you're implying. I would appreciate it if you were to remove that last part:

2 hours ago, Canis said:

With love,
    Don't Starve Veterans.

33 minutes ago, Mr.Mulk said:

While I appreciate you attempt to list some of the issues with the possibility of a "veteran" beta you don't address nearly as many as you need to. For example the point of how a "veteran" is defined is only vaguely hinted at with the statement of being Klei selected. The problem here is that any such system would certainly cause issues and accusations of favoritism in the community. Klei would have to set the bar somewhere, and a lot of people wouldn't make the cut who would then proceed to be angry, and present an issue to Klei. Polarizing the community is usually not a good idea, remember the Hamlet Beta? Even if Klei were to set the definition based on something quantitative, for example hours, that would present tons of issues as well. Hours are not an indication of a player's skill level. I know people with 2000+ hours who require assistance from mods in order to survive a full year. While it is usually a rough approximation the inclusion of a beta would 100% lead people to intentionally idle for hours, a problem already present in the game, or just cheat their hours on Steam. Finally, the beta would require a code, and I do not believe for a second such a code would be able to be kept private. Someone would talk, and within a matter of hours the code would be widespread throughout the community.

The original intention of Forge and Gorge event match was to collect game data. But everyone could browse the leaderboard.  That was A big mistake.

However if the leaderboard is confidential, None will care about it.

I’m sorry but I have to laugh lol I mean some of you talk like Klei said yea fam that’s the whole game we done with it. No. There’s lot to come. Even then, making a game harder or easier should be up to the player. This is the basic rule. You open a generic game you choose difficulty. There is no easy or hard mode in DST but there are world settings. Make it all night, make bosses, enemies lots. Mod the game. Download a mod that makes deerclops the hardest boss in the game. And most importantly don’t use the things you see as “game breaking” This way you get to play the game hard as you wished and I get to play the game as I wished. 

Alsoo the charter updates are almost perfect and really brings a fresh breath to the game. All of the characters will be get refreshed. And currently the game is kinda refreshing too.

Constructive criticism is really good but the thing you criticise isn’t done. It’s almost like as if you taste a raw food when it’s cooking and criticising it. Of course it’s raw you silly :)

Please don't speak on behalf of all DST veterans... Not everyone agrees with you as I can clearly see.

Also not everyone whos played alot of DST is a veteran. Like I wouldn't call myself a veteran... Yeah I know more then the average newbie and know how to execute most of it, but I refuse to call myself a veteran.

I feel like this note is pointless. :s

1 hour ago, Raspberry Shake said:

My main issue is more with the games feel / atheistic, or loss of such.

I've had personal pet peeves with thematic bloat ever since "strange new powers". Woodie's talking axe is super interesting, but his beaver transformation that they slapped on-top of that is such a weird add-on I feel. Willow's teddybear on top of the lighter as well, it's just bizarre to have several things going on at once for me. Feels distracted somehow, huge lack of focus?

Anywho as for the topic of this thread.

I'm under the impression that Klei isn't choosing to side step any veterans. Or any newcomers. To be real bold I just get the vibe they're incapable of pleasing anyone at this rate, lmao. I'm a casual veteran, I've never been good, I've just been around a long time with long breaks. Just said all of this already the other day but, bah, I'm just confident that most of the balance and upset issues would sort itself out if the game stops mistaking grinding for difficulty and introduce any sort of real progressing challenges and rewards that follows player's advancements, and definitely not just a clock.

EDIT: Well so, that is not to say they have to please anyone either. But it begs the question if they play the game themselves at all. If they have any vision at all. Is there any attachment to the game at all. Wasn't there a switch in teams some years ago? Original developers moved on?

Alright, I agree with some of this post, and I'm not too sure about others. The whole "veteran beta" and veteran status section of the post I'm a bit iffy on. The idea of making the game harder by having a hard mode. I'm all about. Though I think whenever suggesting changes that could impact difficulty in the base game, I do think it is a good idea to every once in a while ask yourself whether this is going to make a new player's experience of the game senselessly hard. BUT, at the same time, I do think that the "this difficulty change is bad because it hurt new player" is not always even applicable to the change that is being suggested. Yes, the new player may eventually be faced with the new challenge somewhere in their progression in DST, but I do not think that it always will be the big bad that turns them away from the game. New players die to night, mobs, the weather, and in some cases seasonal bosses. Making tentacles not be able to attack flying mobs will almost certainly never ever, ever, ever affect a new player's experience of the game. But, it will affect how veterans that know how to farm bee queen using wickerbottom play the game. (I'm not promoting this change I'm just providing an example of a nerf / difficulty bump that would not affect new players but still affect experienced ones). Though all in all I do not think that Klei will ever do an expert mode (it would be out of left field), but I do think that modders who are also experienced in the game and would seek challenge could provide us with expert mode. I agree with Mr. Mulk on that front.

53 minutes ago, Mr.Mulk said:

I do think the modding solution is applicable in this situation.

If anyone is interested in trying to form a community made expert mode, maybe making a forum topic solely on what would be changed in it might be a good idea? To see what the HaRdCoRe players want?

• Developer
3 hours ago, Canis said:

Back to Woodie, his rework has left Woodie mains disappointed. He is no longer "The Lumberjack" but now "The Canadian" that's a jack-of-all-trades character, which isn't exactly why Woodie mains picked him up in the first place

I mean yes, woodie is now a jack of all trades character, but strictly speaking the "lumberjack" part of the character got buffed, you no longer need to consume wood to prevent werebeaver, and summoning werebeaver is really easy(plus werebeaver doesn't spawn treeguards). so he is a better chopper in woodie and werebeaver form

2 hours ago, Canis said:

----------

I also believe the game is on the wrong path. DST has the potential to be big, but is being held back by some nasty core design flaws, which prevent it from growing into something bigger. The recent RoT updates have done nothing to try and fix these issues. All they have done is add extra fluff that ... really nobody gets anything out of, not even new players. I fail to see who they are trying to market towards here, and from the way they talked about RoT in the roadmap, it genuinely felt like they were trying to add something for experienced players,  and if that's the case, they are failing.

I too question if Klei plays the game, it is definitely an ugly thought, but like you said the ineffectiveness and issues with the recent character reworks and updates could be seen a mile away by any other player. If the only future content updates we see are going to be like the recent RoT updates, what's the point? If Klei truly is uninterested or doesn't really want to try anything new with their own game, nobody is going to really have any fun with the new content, definitely not us and they certainly won't either. It just seems like they lack... ambition when it comes to updating the game... they settle for these fluff updates that don't add or take away anything from the game, it really is pointless in my eyes. 

2 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

I don't understand why there are so many threads like this, when this is how Don't Starve as a series has always been. DST is not a game that's made to be constantly difficult, it's a game with a very high learning curve that leads to a low difficulty plateau. Once you get the game mechanics down, once you learn how to play the game, its difficulty is not high. 

I understand why there are so many threads like this, and I wish you would at least try to understand where these people are coming from, rather than using the same argument over and over again. With so many people speaking up about an issue, it could definitely mean there is an actual problem, especially when most of them are long time players. Why is it so bad for people like Canis and his friends to suggest that our favorite game isn't so perfect? If we don't make any effort to try and fix these issues the game won't go anywhere. These core design flaws, which as you said have been part of the game for ages now, are killing it! Holding it back from being the great game I know it can be! It makes it impossible for the game to grow one bit when there are so many flaws being built upon... or well, being ignored completely!

Don't Starve has ALWAYS been designed to be hard, but it just fails at that for the reasons Canis has said, its all memory. In games like terraria, when you gain knowledge the difficulty doesn't just go away. DST loses everything after you play it a few times, where as other sandboxes have quite literally endless replayability. This isn't only a problem about not being challenging at this point, but not being enganging. Lets take a look at some other sandboxes, and why they are more successful than DST.

Terraria and Minecraft keep all players playing, new and old, not sure why DST shouldn't be able to do the same. Terraria and Minecraft are both not designed to be "always difficult" yet they are much more challenging/engaging than DST ever will be, despite it being designed to be hard. Terraria and Minecraft are also both much easier games to hop into and learn, DST is cruel and unforgiving, which scares away the new players, which people tend to use as a reason to not make the game more difficult despite the devs themselves not seeming to care too much.

After you reach that plateau, it's up to you to figure out what you find fun. For me, that fun tends to come from experimenting with non-traditional food sources and underused items. If it turns out that the only thing you found fun is that learning curve... 

While its true all games can't be played forever, its clear some games are designed to keep players playing, and do a much better job at it than DST does. DST is a multiplayer sandbox survival game, the goal SHOULD be to keep people playing, it is intended to be played endlessly, but since the game relies on you not knowing basic information to be challenging, it loses everything after a few playthroughs. That's why it always fails to keep people invested... We might stick around because it hooked us with its charm, but any other person... or youtuber won't stick around... and you can bet a new player won't once they get to the same point we are. It is absolutely harming the game, and I know DST could be big, but it is being held back by these blatant issues. I really hate to see it. 

Terraria and Minecraft aren't a plateau when it comes to difficulty by any means, but once you become a "veteran" of those games and "reach the top", there is still fun to be had, aside from self limitations. There are actual OPTIONS in those games, different paths to take/strategies to try, which DST might seem to have on the surface, but when you really look into it, DST fails there too. Sure there may be a few ways to go about something, but most of those the time you would be crippling yourself doing that. (Which you shouldn't have to do to have any sort of fun playing the game whatsoever, or in an "uncompromising" survival game) Other times these options will be borderline unfun and tedious. DST fails as a sandbox when it comes to providing options, there is always a best way to do something.. and doing anything else would be pointless with the way DST is designed. 

i'm sorry to say, but it's okay for you to move on to another game. You don't have to play DST forever.

This line really rubs me the wrong way and I see it far too often. Canis is taking the time to make this thread that clearly comes from a place love to try and help the game grow bigger, and all you really are saying to him here with this is to get lost? Not that it should have to be said, but the longer you play a game the easier it becomes to see its flaws. Canis has made some really great points here, I understand talking as if everyone here agrees with him is untrue, but I think you should still try and make an attempt to see where he is coming from. Can't we all agree that we just want to see the best from DST, and simply pretending these issues don't exist isn't going to solve anything?

ALL IN ALL, DST obviously has some issues. Core design flaws keep the game from reaching its full potential and until they are addressed, I see no point in continuing to add fluff content that neither takes away or adds anything to the game. It doesn't do much for new players or adds anything for old ones. I absolutely understand fixing major issues like these would take massive amounts of time, but isn't it worth it? I ASBOLUTELY know Klei is capable of it and that DST could be massive. I love Klei and DST, I truly only want to see the best for it, but I feel the current path we are taking leads nowhere.

The original post has got length, and there is an absolute abundance of posts in this thread. The original post is something refreshing to see because it's a lot better to be properly concerned for a game that has a fair amount of fatal flaws, though some of the points in said post are not ones I agree with, but conflict is inevitable. Overall it's an admirable effort to raise awareness to those who still deny that Don't Starve Together is fine as it is, because with its event content thrown in the trash and its developers neglecting crucial player feedback, along with not playing their game and testing the content after releasing it, it's far from fine. Don't Starve Together has immense potential that has unfortunately been overlooked by the developers, and that is presumably what the community is upset about.

To condense my post, I'll select parts of posts that have caught my eye, and respond to those:

2 hours ago, YouKnowWho said:

The main problem I have with the whole “the community knows best” thing is how we have a tendency to blame the game. For example, when we had difficulty fighting something as moose, we decided it was the fault of the moose and not our approach. We automatically assume all of this new stuff has to cookie cutter fit into our current version of “how to play don’t starve together.”

A fair point, but it's difficult to blame ourselves and not the game when, say, we struggle to find utility in the Goose form with its inability to do anything but run over land and ocean with a speed that's less than stellar.
Arguably all forms aren't that great, with their required conditions and duration, and they especially don't make any sense from a characteristic standpoint. Woodie was an interesting character when he was introduced as the Canadian with a curse, and had additional dialogue with him and his talking axe Lucy, but with the introduction of eating totems or rolling the dice on full moons, he's now a human with the unexplained ability to turn to one of three animals of which provide varied benefits. As others have said, he's turned from his characteristic "Lumberjack" to "Canadian Stereotypes Incarnate," and has ultimately lead another Woodie main to stray away from the character.

I don't understand why there are so many threads like this, when this is how Don't Starve as a series has always been. DST is not a game that's made to be constantly difficult, it's a game with a very high learning curve that leads to a low difficulty plateau. Once you get the game mechanics down, once you learn how to play the game, its difficulty is not high. After you reach that plateau, it's up to you to figure out what you find fun.

Threads like these exist because there is an inherent problem in the core production of the game. If you're arguing that Don't Starve has always been like this, then others are free to argue that Don't Starve/Together has always had a problem. Ideally, Don't Starve Together should have been made to have difficulty that requires skill and not memory, as others have pointed out. Its learning curve is also not that high since it's only a matter of learning basic game mechanics that carry on for the rest of the playthrough. I don't think players should be forced to use obsolete items and play a game in an unorthodox manner to derive enjoyment from said game, especially after only a few hours of gameplay. I understand that in all games, players would reach your expressed plateau, but Don't Starve Together has potential to not have to be played upside-down after only a few hours if Klei genuinely listens to the community and doesn't trash assets and mechanics that their past events have provided, but instead implements the event content into the base game. This would provide more options that ultimately wouldn't spook new players and would provide variety for old players.

If it turns out that the only thing you found fun is that learning curve... I'm sorry to say, but it's okay for you to move on to another game. You don't have to play DST forever.

This is a terrible mindset to have. Ironically, as an advocate for Don't Starve Together, you're only driving away new players with a statement like that. We don't have to play Don't Starve Together forever, but we surely can express our wishes for the game to reach its fullest potential, consequently renewing the interest of old players and welcoming new players to a world that has life, and not only Mushroom Lights.

2 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Character Reworks are amazing in my opinion, and Im happy Klei even bothers with redoing them. In my opinion there are just too many cry babies on the forums that instead of giving proper feedback type stuff like "#FixWoodie" there's nothing more frustrating for a Dev to just see "Hey, yo fix character", WHAT ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO FIX?! Seriously -_-

There are threads out there that have explained in length exactly what needs to be fixed about a character. What is more frustrating is for our knowledge that developers are not acknowledging said threads and instead going on their own journey to presumably "fix" a character in their eyes. To call select forumers "cry babies" is simply immature, and rather disappointing from a Senior Member of the forums.

2 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Releases aren't EVER perfect, far from it. Willow wasn't supposed to have Fire Immunity, Winona's Hunger was supposed to be worse, Woodie's Forms lasted 2 seconds, but because we gave FEEDBACK, some proper, some less, Klei was capable of tailoring the update to what we felt wasn't right. Sure people hate change usually, as there are probably still a lot of haters for the new Woodie Forms, but I just say let them adapt to this. I hate it when my favourite characters get completly changed, but in the end I just ran along with it, you will never please the entire community with what you do.

This is a defeatist mindset. It is easier to simply say nothing and accept what's been given, but it's disheartening to deliberately let a game die down and lose what value it originally had. The "FEEDBACK" you're referring to was made after the fact, and not before, when forumers were making threads about Woodie's core flaws. It's sad to have to "adapt" to something that's simply not good, and if you hate when something happens, do something about it rather than do nothing. I agree there isn't ever any pleasing of the entire community, but there is surely opportunity to please more players than there are now.

I've seen comparisons such as Terraria and Minecraft thrown around and set side-by-side with Don't Starve/Together, and the only thing I can say about that is that Terraria and Minecraft have done their formula right, whereas Don't Starve/Together has not yet reached nirvana.

Each one has unique abilities and their mechanics make you play each one differently. It's almost like each character is a new game mode rather than a tool to get a specific job done.

This is a false statement. Each character is a Wilson that essentially works as a tool in their own ways, basically using a tool in a different way to have the same outcome.

Also, please don't write this post as if you're representing every player that has played DS or DST for a long time. It's clear from the replies that there aren't as many people that agree with this as you're implying. I would appreciate it if you were to remove that last part:

There are many other players out there that haven't made a forum account and contributed to this thread because of attitudes like yours. Leaning towards a mob mentality based on responses in this thread only is unwelcoming for new and old players that browse the forums without having made an account, and it would be best to consider the opinions of everyone, not only a select few.

With all due respect, most of this is worded in a ways that's very... Off putting, in a manner of which that puts solely vets on a pedestal. Which is in itself a nebulous term, since is a vet someone with playtime? Based on how long you've survived, how well? How much you know every exploit and such? I do not like the idea of putting a small group of vets in control of the game balance solely. While I agree at its core that DST could and should get some looking at as a whole gameplay wise, this is not the manner of doing it. I would much, much rather have public open betas with threads or open ways to give feedback for the devs to read over. You have to account for all skill levels, for better or worse.

The longest i've been able to get with all newbie friends is day 55 thus far. But I still know a whole host of information and mechanics, just not quite there yet to put it into action as effectively as someone who has practiced it for years. That should not disqualify someone of my level from being able to put my own feedback--Albit, carefully thought about to avoid ignoring nuances--Due to that. Since it something is obtuse or otherwise not easily read by lesser skilled players, that can be a flaw in itself. I find the entire process of beefalo taming to be a chore and downright unfun for example. But I would VERY much appreciate if it were to be reworked to be less enigmatic without a wiki to explain even the basics of it.

DST could certainly take a nice fine toothed comb from the ground up to rethink some mechanics or core gameplay loops. But the bulk of this thread certainly comes off as a club of vets on discord had a jerk session before posting this. I am absolutely not saying that was the case or even your intention (as I've enjoyed your threads when they pop up, so I am not trying to be hostile here.) but I think when going about threads like this it would be better to address the games mechanics as a whole and how they could be diversified or expanded upon to be better than they currently are for the entire playerbase. With new players having something to look forward to in the lategame! 

Largely, I feel as though this might be an issue of the devs not... Well, playing their game sounds a bit harsh. But perhaps from overestimating their ability to play the game as well as their playerbase can. Where everything is boiled down to near robotic levels of efficiency! Which is certainly where I could go for either a beta test or feedback on the ideas present. Even if it's just simple vague "this will 20% of more Something." With some extra attention being diverted to those that have knowledge towards the mechanics of the game to get a feel for it. 

Oh that moisty-stale smell of wanna-be elitism in the cold evening air... mm-MMMM! :D

Does 6.5k hours in DST alone and playing it since Beta qualify as "veteran player"? Solo mushing all bosses with minimal resources used and generally handling everything game throws at ye with ease? Dying almost never, except when testing stupid corny stuff that I know most likely will end with my lil character kicking the bucket? Ok. I sure hope so, because I do believe that "Veteran Beta Tester" thingy.. is utter bollocks, pardon my boudoir French.

Open Beta? Sure.

Difficulty amp up (harder and randomized weather and seasons, better AI, complex patterns of attack and defense for NPCs, complex attacks for player-character etc) via a world changing event, aka 2-steps difficulty with second leading to an evolving world? Ofc.

Are re-balanced characters at their best form? Certainly not, and could be improved upon... but 80-90% are ok in my book.

"Hard mode"? Maybe. After Return of Them is completely out and Klei shows some proper love to WorldGen too.

Till then let's first see how things are going, and we will surely comment on each individual case when time comes if we're not happy in bulk with the results. I get the impatience from new generations grown with "immediate gratification" via carpe diem (and too lenient parents), but is getting ridiculous. Maybe that old "hope for the best yet prepare for the worst" should also be taken into consideration so that hyped and unrealistic wishes "don't make the kids cry", just saying. Cheers!

Hello

There is too much here to pick apart and address directly. However, I will simply ask why do such inexperienced players make such silly posts like this one and try to talk on behalf of a much larger and knowledgeable community?

It is ridiculous that you can claim to be a veteran - you barely have 800 hours in game. My steam fiend list contains 30+ players who each have 3k+ hours (some as many as 6k+ hours).

That said, I warmly welcome new players such as yourself to the game. But please do no try to talk on behalf of veteran players. In my opinion a lot of your suggestions/views are simply typical of your (relatively) little experience with the game. In time your suggestions/views shall grow - let us not have the direction of this game driven by relatively beginner-level players.

I'm repeating everyone else when I say I'm a (5k hour) veteran and I don't agree with this post. Not trying to be toxic, but don't speak on my, or anyone else, but your own behalf.

- DST is a multiplayer game, of course a lot of its unfairness from DS is gonna have to be cushioned to ensure the screw-ups of one won't ensure everyone else's demise. The overall game should not be made harder for newcomers.

- Your Woodie concerns are purely your opinion (and whoever you got to proofread your post). I haven't seen a Woodie main yet that has an issue with the new balance changes. He's a new and fun character with a grand change of pace from his singleplayer counterpart, that now fits snugly into a team/multiplayer setting. At least, in my opinion. Same with a few other DST characters, like Warly, Willow, and whoever's up to get rebalanced in the future.

- Klei has an issue with balance, yes, but we as a community, doesn't matter the level of experience, give feedback based on our concerns.
The whole "playtesting with a veteran's beta" thing makes no sense and splits the community in a totally nonsensical way; something Klei wants to actively AVOID.
A small percentage of DST's playerbase, the veterans, cannot speak for everyone that plays the game. There's a reason Twitch streamers who don't play DST often, such as RTGame, were given character betas early to showcase. There's also a reason that every beta is public for everyone to test, NOT just the 1% of players that live, breathe, and dream DST.
It's all about the genuine reactions and feedback from players from all walks of experience with the game.

- Not all characters need impactful, game changing downsides. 

- I agree that DST needs more of a difficulty curve in the late-game to make it more enjoyable, not just optional content like raid bosses. I hope that's a focus with Return of Them.

- An Expert/Hardcore mode sounds like it could be fun, if done correctly.

With Love,
   One Don't Starve Veteran.

43 minutes ago, BeanBagSonic said:

There are many other players out there that haven't made a forum account and contributed to this thread because of attitudes like yours. Leaning towards a mob mentality based on responses in this thread only is unwelcoming for new and old players that browse the forums without having made an account, and it would be best to consider the opinions of everyone, not only a select few.

I agree with it, Chinese player have their own Forum. They have discussion in Chinese. Almost Chinese player even didn't Know there is a Klei Forums here. But some kind of player's suggestion was accepted at this Furom.

Archived