359368170    711
33 minutes ago, Mr.Mulk said:

While I appreciate you attempt to list some of the issues with the possibility of a "veteran" beta you don't address nearly as many as you need to. For example the point of how a "veteran" is defined is only vaguely hinted at with the statement of being Klei selected. The problem here is that any such system would certainly cause issues and accusations of favoritism in the community. Klei would have to set the bar somewhere, and a lot of people wouldn't make the cut who would then proceed to be angry, and present an issue to Klei. Polarizing the community is usually not a good idea, remember the Hamlet Beta? Even if Klei were to set the definition based on something quantitative, for example hours, that would present tons of issues as well. Hours are not an indication of a player's skill level. I know people with 2000+ hours who require assistance from mods in order to survive a full year. While it is usually a rough approximation the inclusion of a beta would 100% lead people to intentionally idle for hours, a problem already present in the game, or just cheat their hours on Steam. Finally, the beta would require a code, and I do not believe for a second such a code would be able to be kept private. Someone would talk, and within a matter of hours the code would be widespread throughout the community.

The original intention of Forge and Gorge event match was to collect game data. But everyone could browse the leaderboard.  That was A big mistake.

However if the leaderboard is confidential, None will care about it.

• Thanks 1

Cosheeta    231
1 hour ago, Raspberry Shake said:

My main issue is more with the games feel / atheistic, or loss of such.

I've had personal pet peeves with thematic bloat ever since "strange new powers". Woodie's talking axe is super interesting, but his beaver transformation that they slapped on-top of that is such a weird add-on I feel. Willow's teddybear on top of the lighter as well, it's just bizarre to have several things going on at once for me. Feels distracted somehow, huge lack of focus?

Anywho as for the topic of this thread.

I'm under the impression that Klei isn't choosing to side step any veterans. Or any newcomers. To be real bold I just get the vibe they're incapable of pleasing anyone at this rate, lmao. I'm a casual veteran, I've never been good, I've just been around a long time with long breaks. Just said all of this already the other day but, bah, I'm just confident that most of the balance and upset issues would sort itself out if the game stops mistaking grinding for difficulty and introduce any sort of real progressing challenges and rewards that follows player's advancements, and definitely not just a clock.

EDIT: Well so, that is not to say they have to please anyone either. But it begs the question if they play the game themselves at all. If they have any vision at all. Is there any attachment to the game at all. Wasn't there a switch in teams some years ago? Original developers moved on?

Edited by Cosheeta
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alright, I agree with some of this post, and I'm not too sure about others. The whole "veteran beta" and veteran status section of the post I'm a bit iffy on. The idea of making the game harder by having a hard mode. I'm all about. Though I think whenever suggesting changes that could impact difficulty in the base game, I do think it is a good idea to every once in a while ask yourself whether this is going to make a new player's experience of the game senselessly hard. BUT, at the same time, I do think that the "this difficulty change is bad because it hurt new player" is not always even applicable to the change that is being suggested. Yes, the new player may eventually be faced with the new challenge somewhere in their progression in DST, but I do not think that it always will be the big bad that turns them away from the game. New players die to night, mobs, the weather, and in some cases seasonal bosses. Making tentacles not be able to attack flying mobs will almost certainly never ever, ever, ever affect a new player's experience of the game. But, it will affect how veterans that know how to farm bee queen using wickerbottom play the game. (I'm not promoting this change I'm just providing an example of a nerf / difficulty bump that would not affect new players but still affect experienced ones). Though all in all I do not think that Klei will ever do an expert mode (it would be out of left field), but I do think that modders who are also experienced in the game and would seek challenge could provide us with expert mode. I agree with Mr. Mulk on that front.

53 minutes ago, Mr.Mulk said:

I do think the modding solution is applicable in this situation.

If anyone is interested in trying to form a community made expert mode, maybe making a forum topic solely on what would be changed in it might be a good idea? To see what the HaRdCoRe players want?

• Like 2

CutChemist    186

What’s with all these topics with there 1000 word essays? The game is meant to be played how you want to.  I have 5k hours and still have fun playing and not what so ever upset about any content that’s pushed out. I don’t understand 

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

Remps    260
Just now, minespatch said:

Not me, I just want lore and art.:wilson_ecstatic:

i would especially like to see the lore of woodie :(

• Like 4

superfast    8

Hello

There is too much here to pick apart and address directly. However, I will simply ask why do such inexperienced players make such silly posts like this one and try to talk on behalf of a much larger and knowledgeable community?

It is ridiculous that you can claim to be a veteran - you barely have 800 hours in game. My steam fiend list contains 30+ players who each have 3k+ hours (some as many as 6k+ hours).

That said, I warmly welcome new players such as yourself to the game. But please do no try to talk on behalf of veteran players. In my opinion a lot of your suggestions/views are simply typical of your (relatively) little experience with the game. In time your suggestions/views shall grow - let us not have the direction of this game driven by relatively beginner-level players.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

359368170    711
43 minutes ago, BeanBagSonic said:

There are many other players out there that haven't made a forum account and contributed to this thread because of attitudes like yours. Leaning towards a mob mentality based on responses in this thread only is unwelcoming for new and old players that browse the forums without having made an account, and it would be best to consider the opinions of everyone, not only a select few.

I agree with it, Chinese player have their own Forum. They have discussion in Chinese. Almost Chinese player even didn't Know there is a Klei Forums here. But some kind of player's suggestion was accepted at this Furom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1