An Open Letter to Klei

(Disclaimer: This is in no way meant to start a smear campaign towards Klei in any way. This was made as a way to help Klei find internal issues and fix them. In addition, this was proofread by several big names and experts in the community, just to deflect any bias accusations.)

Klei Entertainment.
    Everyone's favorite video game company, without a doubt. They're genuinely great people that put the value of players over the value of money, unlike a large margin of the gaming industry. However, more and more of the community have started to worry in recent times, since Klei have made questionable decisions throughout 2019. The most prominent example is the recent Woodie rework. Even if we disregard it's rocky initial release, it still leaves Woodie mains with mixed feelings, and makes people that main characters like Wendy fearful as they don't want a complete reimagine of the character; They just an upgrade to make their character not suck. A "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, if you will.

So, without further dilly dally, let's go through objective, un-biased, and common worries regarding Klei, and their methods of working on Don't Starve Together. Possible solutions to these problems will also be provided, in hopes that Klei will take this to heart.

Newcomer Bias:
 Klei has seemingly made it apparent that they want to make a lot of mechanics easily accessible in early game, with a few notable exceptions (such as Willow still requiring beard hair for Bernie, and Warly's powerful crockpot recipes.). DST as a whole has become much easier with the addition to new characters, especially since a good portion of them don't have a downside. In the case of Wortox, he makes regaining health practically free. In addition, he has a new way of "dodging attacks". While this isn't a problem in of itself, he has 200 health on top of this, which allows him to be both a tank and a 'trickster' character. As for Winona, she has no practical downsides and has the ability to solo raid bosses with little to no combat effort on her end. The one time this year that Klei changed a character to flourish in mid-to-late game (Warly), it became absolutely broken in every sense of the word. For instance, a Wolfgang that's paired with Warly can do 600 damage per hit with the correct preparation. Six. Hundred. Damage. Even without Wolfgang's inherent x2 modifier, that's 300 damage for any other character. Back to Woodie, his rework has left Woodie mains disappointed. He is no longer "The Lumberjack" but now "The Canadian" that's a jack-of-all-trades character, which isn't exactly why Woodie mains picked him up in the first place. In short, people that have chosen to stick around for a long time and main a certain character are starting to feel alienated, or fearful for what's to come.

It also goes without saying, but veterans to DST have been begging Klei to make the game harder for a long while now, whether the difficulty be optional, or progression-based. For these players, the game becomes extremely autonomous, repetitive, easy, and worst of all, boring. While yes, Klei has a lot of stuff on their plate in regards to 2019 and possibly 2020, the questionable part of this is that they haven't said a single word regarding this issue. This is problematic to say the least, as yes, there are always new players, the veterans to the game are the die-hard fans that keep this community alive.

This goes into my next point quite smoothly.

Balancing Issues:
 People are starting to question whether Klei themselves actively play their own game. The fact that this is even up in the air is a red flag towards Klei's method of balancing things as of late. For example (again), the Woodie rework. The initial release was a train wreck, however it got better when Klei implemented community-made ideas. This was also a thing with the Winona update to an extent, although nowhere near as severe as Woodie. To make sure that severe mis-steps don't happen again and make everything smooth sailing, let's propose this idea to Klei:

Have a closed beta branch available to a select few trusted veterans within the community (the klei forums), chosen by Klei. In this branch, said veterans are able to test out the new character/mechanic/whatever and give Klei feedback. If these people give the beta code to other people, or leak the contents of the closed beta, they should be punished. (For example: If you willingly leak contents in the closed beta, your klei account could get temporarily suspended for, say, a month. Also, you'd lose access to the closed beta.)

What's the difference between this closed beta and a public beta?:
-The Veteran Closed Beta has much fewer people playtesting, however these people have been playing DST for a very long time, meaning that Klei would get more precise and useful feedback, and less non-helpful feedback.
-Veterans are part of the community, and are not Klei staff, meaning that they are well aware of the intricate details of what people want, and know what will spark drama. In addition, they can be used as a "safety net" of sorts to prevent problematic mechanics and aspects before it reaches a public build, saving time.
-Veterans have a clear vision on what "balanced" means in terms of Don't Starve Together, and are above the "Skill Level Plateau", meaning that they are easily able to grasp new mechanics, and apply them to normal gameplay, which is a good trait to have in terms of playtesters.
-A good portion of the veteran community wants to see DST be a better game as a whole, meaning that most of them are willing to happily volunteer their time and effort for Klei, without the need of a paycheck.

To be transparent, here are some possible downsides to this idea that should be considered:
-Veterans are not Klei employees, and they may be a liability depending on the person. (Such as leaking content early.)
-If they dont have a deadline, people will playtest on their own time. If they do have a deadline, it's possible that they'll be unable to playtest.

In addition, for things like Character Updates, Klei can seek after veterans that main that character, since their thoughts are arguably more important than anyone else's.

Now, on to the next topic that constantly sparks debate and discussion.

DST's Difficulty curve. (or rather, lack of one.)
 Granted, this is not an easily fixable thing, and will most likely take a long time to implement correctly, given the fact that Klei is currently working on a lot of updates. However, this needs to be talked about in detail because it is a valid problem with the game, and how Klei avoids talking about said problem, which is a shame since the terms "Uncompromising Survival" and "Trial and Error" has seemingly been lost to time. Survival games aren't meant to be easy.

In detail, here is a list of problems that most veterans have with DST:
-After Late Game, the player is usually never in any risk or danger; the game becomes less of a survival game and more of a base-building sandbox.
-In all stages of the game, it is easy to throw on a simple Football helmet and hambat and kite anything and everything that the game can throw at you.
-Insanity is laughably easy, and it has no real risk to a player that knows what they're doing, save for a select few situations.
-Most new and reworked characters lack an impactful downside.

Here are some possible solutions:

Make DST difficulty progression-based.
With the exception of hound waves, the difficulty of the game stays just about the same throughout the entire run. While each person has a different idea of difficulty, depending on who you ask, here's generally one that no one has a problem with.
When you accomplish a certain feat in the game, the world grows harder. For example, if you kill the Ancient Fuelweaver, Insanity would become more menacing to stay in, and Charlie could instantly kill players instead of hitting them for 100 (which is reduced to a measly 20 with a football helmet.)

An optional "Hardcore mode".
On world creation, there could be a "Server Difficulty" option to switch between "Default" and "Uncompromising". When the Uncompromising Difficulty is chosen and the world is generated, the following effects would take place.
-Dead players leave their dead body behind, in addition to becoming a ghost. Instead of giving a heart or amulet to the ghost, players now have to give the heart to the dead body. if they are attuned to an effigy, they can revive themselves. If the player was wearing a life amulet upon death, they'll be resurrected.
-Touchstones require to be touched by an individual player before they can resurrect with it. The way they'd resurrect would be similar to an effigy and/or singleplayer.
-When there are no living players in a server that are attuned to a meat effigy / touchstone, the world is deleted.
-Rollback is permanently disabled.
-In the server browser, worlds that have this setting enabled are marked with a special icon, and/or highlighted in red.

Of course, this mode would not be recommended for public servers. This Uncompromising Difficulty mode would be geared for those going out of their way for a challenge, and to make DST comparatively difficult to Singleplayer. Also, if Klei wants to add a temporary measure that they can get back to later, a "diet" version of the Uncompromising mode could make it so that servers only delete the world when nobody is left alive, and disables rollback.

Alternatively, we could borrow ideas from another survival game: Terraria. That game has something called "Expert Mode", which increases the stats of almost every enemy in the game, such as attack and defense, with a select few mobs gaining additional attacks. However, this is meant to be risk/reward, as Expert Mode bosses drop special and powerful drops that are usually used throughout the entire run.

All of these options have kept in mind the fact that newcomers struggle with the beginning of the game already. Hence, early-game is generally unaffected from these solutions unless the player goes out of their way to enable them. In addition, the "Uncompromising" mode could easily be implemented for the moment while Klei focuses on other things.

Those are all of the main problems that Klei and DST have that is currently upsetting the community. Klei is most likely reading this, as they do indeed lurk the forums. I encourage them to reply to this, whether it's assuring that they care, saying that we're wrong about a few points, or anything really. These are genuine concerns that a good portion of the community share, because just about every single one of us wants Klei - and DST - to be the best that it possibly can be.

With love,
    Don't Starve Veterans.

@JoeW

-------------------------------------------

Speaking on my own personal bias now, as in, these are my (Canis') personal thoughts.

I have been a Woodie main for *at least* a year now. However, with this rework, I can't say that I want to keep playing as him. Yes, he's viable, but now he's just... bland.

Sometimes I (and other people on the forums) feel like they're not being heard in terms of initial character perks for these reworks. Yes, if it's small enough (or we create enough drama) Klei will most likely add it, but we shouldn't NEED to set the forums on fire just to have something added.

As of the Woodie update, my faith in Klei has been wavering, to say the least. Before this, I fully believed that Klei knows what they're doing, and they're fully transparent. However, the Woodie update was a kick in the rear end. I stopped being ignorant, and I realized that Klei has problems of their own, just like anyone else. They're not perfect.

However, I still love Klei, which is why I'm so hard on them. 

I still really hope that we at least get a response, as opposed to the other threads in this vain. (Granted, most threads "in this vain" are mainly just rant/vent threads, which this thread isn't.)

The character balance point is moot because wicker and wolf has been in the game for years and are far better then any of the new players, thats why they need reworked anyway.

Game has always been pretty easy once you figure things out, id be down for harder setting but i dont think this is a result of what klei has been doing recently rather then just the way the game always was. Its always been hard to starve and combat has always been easy, ever since i got started back in RoG.

Just now, Steeles4500 said:

The character balance point is moot because wicker and wolf has been in the game for years and are far better then any of the new players, thats why they need reworked anyway.

Game has always been pretty easy once you figure things out, id be down for harder setting but i dont think this is a result of what klei has been doing recently rather then just the way the game always was. Its always been hard to starve and combat has always been easy, ever since i got started back in RoG.

Please note the fact that whenever the thread talks about the characters being too easy, it's specifically talking about new/reworked ones.

I don’t really agree with this. The whole problem with the “setting the forums on fire” thing is how our views are mostly skewed by our own biases.

The main problem I have with the whole “the community knows best” thing is how we have a tendency to blame the game. For example, when we had difficulty fighting something as moose, we decided it was the fault of the moose and not our approach. We automatically assume all of this new stuff has to cookie cutter fit into our current version of “how to play don’t starve together.”

That’s boring. New content shouldn’t be boring. 

48 minutes ago, Canis said:

Have a closed beta branch available to a select few trusted veterans within the community (the klei forums), chosen by Klei. In this branch, said veterans are able to test out the new character/mechanic/whatever and give Klei feedback. If these people give the beta code to other people, or leak the contents of the closed beta, they should be punished. (For example: If you willingly leak contents in the closed beta, your klei account could get temporarily suspended for, say, a month. Also, you'd lose access to the closed beta.)

What's the difference between this closed beta and a public beta?:
-The Veteran Closed Beta has much fewer people playtesting, however these people have been playing DST for a very long time, meaning that Klei would get more precise and useful feedback, and less non-helpful feedback.
-Veterans are part of the community, and are not Klei staff, meaning that they are well aware of the intricate details of what people want, and know what will spark drama. In addition, they can be used as a "safety net" of sorts to prevent problematic mechanics and aspects before it reaches a public build, saving time.
-Veterans have a clear vision on what "balanced" means in terms of Don't Starve Together, and are above the "Skill Level Plateau", meaning that they are easily able to grasp new mechanics, and apply them to normal gameplay, which is a good trait to have in terms of playtesters.
-A good portion of the veteran community wants to see DST be a better game as a whole, meaning that most of them are willing to happily volunteer their time and effort for Klei, without the need of a paycheck.

To be transparent, here are some possible downsides to this idea that should be considered:
-Veterans are not Klei employees, and they may be a liability depending on the person. (Such as leaking content early.)
-If they dont have a deadline, people will playtest on their own time. If they do have a deadline, it's possible that they'll be unable to playtest.

In addition, for things like Character Updates, Klei can seek after veterans that main that character, since their thoughts are arguably more important than anyone else's.

Is this because I bought dst like a month after it came out of EA? why canis, my dude, are hurting me?

breath-in-boi-27541472.png

18 minutes ago, Canis said:

With love,
    The Don't Starve Together Community.

Please do not try to speak for an entire community. As a "veteran" that's been playing the game since 2015, I do not agree with the suggestions in this thread especially not a "veteran beta".

I don't understand why there are so many threads like this, when this is how Don't Starve as a series has always been. DST is not a game that's made to be constantly difficult, it's a game with a very high learning curve that leads to a low difficulty plateau. Once you get the game mechanics down, once you learn how to play the game, its difficulty is not high. After you reach that plateau, it's up to you to figure out what you find fun. For me, that fun tends to come from experimenting with non-traditional food sources and underused items. If it turns out that the only thing you found fun is that learning curve... I'm sorry to say, but it's okay for you to move on to another game. You don't have to play DST forever.

3 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Please do not try to speak for an entire community. As a "veteran" that's been playing the game since 2015, I do not agree with the suggestions in this thread especially not a "veteran beta".

I don't understand why there are so many threads like this, when this is how Don't Starve as a series has always been. DST is not a game that's made to be constantly difficult, it's a game with a very high learning curve that leads to a low difficulty plateau. Once you get the game mechanics down, once you learn how to play the game, its difficulty is not high. After you reach that plateau, it's up to you to figure out what you find fun. For me, that fun tends to come from experimenting with non-traditional food sources and underused items. If it turns out that the only thing you found fun is that learning curve... I'm sorry to say, but it's okay for you to move on to another game. You don't have to play DST forever.

I say "The Don't Starve Together Community" because this thread was backed up by several veterans of DST, not just me. However, this specifically was made in the rough draft at 11 PM, so I'll change it.

Just now, __IvoCZE__ said:

Im also a technically a veteran and I don't like this, can you list the ''several veterans of DST'' outside le fabled kekistan (aka EDGY RICK DISCORD?)

This actually would've been true if he didn't have his Discord set to private /s

I don't think that the game is on a "Uh-oh it's all going downhill from here" road. It's more of a "Ok, let's wait and see"

The reworks aren't so bad. I only wish that Klei doesn't use a "big and loud" kind of method of making them. Y'know something like "OMG guys Webber can now wear different spiders which gives him new powers". No instead just do something like "Hey so Webber now learned how to use the rest of his legs and now has +4 more inventory space". Or that every character just ends up as a jack of all trades. Cuz I mean who can stop Klei from giving Wigfrid a "battle axe" or Wickerbottom "book of strenght"

I agree that dst needs progression system. Cuz right now there are only two ways to implement new content. Make it forced which makes the learning curve even bigger for newbies or make it optional (which usually ends up with it being boring and useless). Plus the progression system has a very positive effect on players' minds. It gives you that "You matter" "You ARE the main character"-kind of feeling. Like, yeah that event is now a thing thanks to me.

I've been here since the Closed Beta and before DS had Insanity, and Im not agreeing whatsoever, sure DST lacks a ramping up difficulty, but an endless ramp up would make this game more tedious than fun, idk about you but Im not somone that would like to pass 1 year and have Boss HP be doubled all of the sudden -_-

Character Reworks are amazing in my opinion, and Im happy Klei even bothers with redoing them. In my opinion there are just too many cry babies on the forums that instead of giving proper feedback type stuff like "#FixWoodie" there's nothing more frustrating for a Dev to just see "Hey, yo fix character", WHAT ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO FIX?! Seriously -_-

Releases aren't EVER perfect, far from it. Willow wasn't supposed to have Fire Immunity, Winona's Hunger was supposed to be worse, Woodie's Forms lasted 2 seconds, but because we gave FEEDBACK, some proper, some less, Klei was capable of tailoring the update to what we felt wasn't right. Sure people hate change usually, as there are probably still a lot of haters for the new Woodie Forms, but I just say let them adapt to this. I hate it when my favourite characters get completly changed, but in the end I just ran along with it, you will never please the entire community with what you do.

And if that Letter is supposed to be from everyone, I'd like to exclude myself from the community.

I tottaly agree for having a difficult mode. Since the beginnings of DST, the game was more easy than the solo version because of the ease to revive people. 

For the difficulty curve, yes the game need a new difficulty threshold. My hope are thst the new content will be more and more difficult.  The last update added the queen bee, klaus, fuelwaver and the toadstoold that are difficult boss. So I think more challenging boss nd content are coming !

For your worries about what is going next. I can understand it. However equilibrate a character is hard and need a lot of test and the tight schedule they fix doesn't help. However Hlhow they listen to the community and correct they update are very good. 

Concerning Woodie, he is still a lumberjack and living close to the wood. He becomes more "druidic" but keep is connexion with the forest. I played a lot woodie in the solo  version but not on together because of the lost of utility of the wereveaver form , notably the lost of the armor. I find the new woodie more interesting in term of gameplay. I guess klei are looking to add new possible action to all character and not just changing number. 

In addition, I am still waiting with great hope in DST 

shipwreck and hamlet 

An adventure mode 

Unlockable character 

The don't starve phases can be divided into several stages [something like this is the basis of Hindu philosophy and assumes that the world works in loops (but the world is really a sine wave)]:

Diamond Stage: First Autumn

Gold Stage: First Winter, Walruses, Deerclops, The beggining of spring.

Silver Stage: Rest of spring, Moose/Goose Lunar Island

Copper Stage: Summer, Antlion (male of course), Full base, Cave exploration

Iron Stage: All powerful bosses

Stone stage: Fuelweaver, Toadstool, Ruins reset

Wood Stage: Late game

The end

I think that gam needs something like catastrophe which would reset this meter back to the Diamond Stage.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

Terraria

I'm glad you mentioned this @Canis because Terraria found this catastrophe. It is Hardmode. After player saw every surface and underground biomes, killed all pre-hardmode enemies and made mayority of pre-hardmode items game is in wood stage, but then the player can deal with the Wall of Flesh and we have hardmode, the new Diamond stage. We now have new dangerous biome in the world (Hallow), Crimson/Corruption are more destructive, we have new enemies etc...

I think we really need new mechanics: thirst, poisoning, radically different management of health... (it breaks a bit the immersion in the survival atomsphere, if you be able to cure hunger damage with a plaster...)
However, DST is getting better, I wouldn't call it downhill. Only that it is improving little and very slowly. Klei could definitely do a lot more, I'm sure. (The Forge and The Gorge, for example; New Golden Age)

1 minute ago, 359368170 said:

Would You mind Let me translate it into Chinese and publish that on Chinese Forums?

I 'll explain that you are the author.

Chinese players want to Know different voices.

You got a link to these forums? I'd love to see the other side of the grass when it comes to this games community/ideas

Hi, I know I might not be much to this conversation, especially since I first bought this game in 2014/2015 on the psvita and currently playing the game on ps4 ever since dont starve together originally came out on ps4. But I would like to add my own touch too the difficulty of the game. I think it might be for the fact that our characters have gotten used to in settled into the constant more, giving based on the vibes and atmosphere dont starve together feels. Notice how the atmosphere and changes to the game is now for example the music and events. Were no longer in the time were wilson was just tossed into the constant being chased and murdered by every little thing that can suprise him anymore, it's more just the characters now adapted. The autumn music was changed to a more orchestral and serious, motivational type of style then the classic eerie and mysterious music. And like I said before the events, instead of the characters cowering in fear and being afraid of everything they before, now there dressing up in costumes shaped as the creatures they battled, celebrating celebrating feast eve, And even participating with the pig king to have a friendly battle to win gold. Heck! Notice how brave and cocky the characters are now with their quotes with wilson responding to a deadly half dragon/fly mutant "that's one fly dragon." The characters are evolving, there no longer scared! They finally grown, just like us! There now more into the environment from being there for so long. And they're going out to see new things. In the hamlet trailers we've seen Wilson in literal fear in one scene with him panicking. And from when we see him in the turn of tides trailer. (Despite the fact he's literally fighting a hound for a slab of meat)

He didn't really over react, just simply panicked as a massive wave was coming his way, even on the lunar island he just responded nervously then our usual, "I gotta get out of here!" Old type of wilson is

But what I'm saying here is, maybe dont starve together being less terrifying and more relaxing isn't just a game play point of view, maybe look at it better with a story view, our characters grew up, and learnt to deal with the constant. (hopefully you know what I meant by writing this, I'm horrible at writing so, I hope everyone gets my point!)

There's a lot to digest here, perhaps it would be appropriate to add a TL;DR section to the post to make it more manageable .

I do not mean anything rude here, but to be honest with you this post is attempting to tackle too much in a singular post. As a result much of the wording here isn't the best and it's confusing at times. I would have recommended you decide which major point you care the most about and make a post discussing solely that. If you are actually attempting to reach out to Klei this would have been the best route to go with, as your points would have been much more digestible and easy to discuss, but I digress.

Anyways, from my understanding of reading this the main points are:

• Newcomer bias, the game is too easy and appears to be focused on attracting newer players more than satisfying "veteran" players
  • The game has poor balancing, with the reworks showing some issues with Klei's process
  • The game is too easy, part 2 featuring possible solutions

Starting with the first point I tend to agree that the game is generally easy. However I think that's it's unfair in this situation for the most skilled of the community to determine what the "right" level of difficulty would be, as each person, no matter their skill level is different in what they define as being an enjoyable experience. Not only is that Klei's responsibility to do so, but they furthermore have a legitimate incentive to make the game as newcomer friendly as possible. They want to sell copies of the game, and they want user retention, both of which are aided by the game being manageable for players just starting out. While it's usually a flawed argument to make, I do think the modding solution is applicable in this situation.

To the second point I think it isn't correct throughout this post to assume that "veterans" are a monolithic entity, and seems to entirely ignore the question of how do we define a "veteran" for starters. And the final issue with this is that you speak as a spokesperson for them, which is not accurate. When it comes to good discussion and debate etiquette it is incredibly important to recognize that you can only state you represent a group that you know shares the same opinion on a subject as you.

A better way of wording this post would have been "veterans who agree with me haven't been fans of the rebalances appearing extremely polarized in application."

While I appreciate you attempt to list some of the issues with the possibility of a "veteran" beta you don't address nearly as many as you need to. For example the point of how a "veteran" is defined is only vaguely hinted at with the statement of being Klei selected. The problem here is that any such system would certainly cause issues and accusations of favoritism in the community. Klei would have to set the bar somewhere, and a lot of people wouldn't make the cut who would then proceed to be angry, and present an issue to Klei. Polarizing the community is usually not a good idea, remember the Hamlet Beta? Even if Klei were to set the definition based on something quantitative, for example hours, that would present tons of issues as well. Hours are not an indication of a player's skill level. I know people with 2000+ hours who require assistance from mods in order to survive a full year. While it is usually a rough approximation the inclusion of a beta would 100% lead people to intentionally idle for hours, a problem already present in the game, or just cheat their hours on Steam. Finally, the beta would require a code, and I do not believe for a second such a code would be able to be kept private. Someone would talk, and within a matter of hours the code would be widespread throughout the community.

I've gone on a bit too long here so I'll avoid getting into the third main point too much besides suggesting in future posts avoid giving lengthy solutions and repeating yourself in different sections of the same post. Also when you word a post in such a way it is a "letter" to Klei you have to be extremely careful to not come across poorly, otherwise the post likely won't be well received.

TL;DR
While I don't disagree with everything this post is saying, I think the points selected weren't constructed well and the wording was overall poor in quality. I do not mean for this to come across harsh, everyone starts somewhere and you are entitled to your own opinion which is completely valid. I just recommend taking the time to ensure your posts are well constructed, and perhaps running them by multiple people of differing opinions first.

I won't say that I'm good at the game, I won't say that I have stuck with the game for its entire lifetime, and I won't say that I'm one to be respected but I will say that this letter horribly represents the players of the game, even the vetrans that, like you, have stuck around for a while.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

a lot of mechanics easily accessible in early game

And they should. DS is suppose to be open ended. Unless it literaly only happens because of a event or time, you can do anything. You can raid the ruins on the middle of winter, you can kill bee queen in summer, you can sail the high seas in the first 2 days. Having the new mechanics allows more openess and allows players to get to the stuff they want instead of having to slowly progress up to that point.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

DST as a whole has become much easier with the addition to new characters, especially since a good portion of them don't have a downside. In the case of Wortox, he makes regaining health practically free. In addition, he has a new way of "dodging attacks". While this isn't a problem in of itself, he has 200 health on top of this, which allows him to be both a tank and a 'trickster' character

You know what thats fair, Wortox is kinda powerful in combat. So is wigfrid and wolfgang and essentially anyone once they have enough pierogies to shove down their throat. Wortox just cuts that time by being able to get healing from any mob. The new way of dodgeing attacks also burns through your souls like a match in a greenhouse. The downside is that he has to ise his abilities more to get more food or souls so that he doesn't starve to death. I will agree that the other downsides are linda meh.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

The one time this year that Klei changed a character to flourish in mid-to-late game (Warly), it became absolutely broken in every sense of the word. For instance, a Wolfgang that's paired with Warly can do 600 damage per hit with the correct preparation. Six. Hundred. Damage. Even without Wolfgang's inherent x2 modifier, that's 300 damage for any other character

You know that is true. The damage rate is excessive but it also got to be mentioned that this is the most ideal set up thats meant for past late game, past where you would actually need it as the grind takes so long to get to that point.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

He is no longer "The Lumberjack" but now "The Canadian" that's a jack-of-all-trades character, which isn't exactly why Woodie mains picked him up in the first place.

That is true, but what can you do with a true lumberjack character? You can cut wood. Its kinda boring to have your entire perk system based solely on the fact that you can get wood. The woodie we have now is unique and provides usefulness to the team beyond what a character with a golden axe and pigs can provide.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

In this branch, said veterans are able to test out the new character/mechanic/whatever and give Klei feedback

You know that even if you get a bunch of players together that have played the game for years, the problem is that the veterans know how best to go about any situation and thus go about it and destroy whatever it is the update added. The vetrans will stick to their methods because they work the best in any situation, and thats the problem. The vetrans won't go after new things because theu know wjat works and will say that anything that is remotely interesting but takes a few min. to actually create it is worse compared to the same slop they have been using for years.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

Klei can seek after veterans that main that character, since their thoughts are arguably more important than anyone else's

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=Egotistical&amp=true

1 hour ago, Canis said:

Default" and "Uncompromising

This isn't a bad suggestion but it also it is just putting on a setting to make resurrection a bigger pain in the ass.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

DST's Difficulty curve. (

The curve is the knowledge that you get from playing the game over and over again. The difficulty curve shouldn't be like a rpg because people get better at different rates. Adding difficulty tied to objectives also would be bad as making it hard for some random point that the player wasen't expecting is a jerk move. Adding difficulty for the sake of difficuly isn't fun, its frustrating for the increase to be unwarranted and non rewarding in some aspect.

2 hours ago, Canis said:

Expert Mode

This is a fine idea but the problem is that the dst time schedule is crunched already and the idea of them spending time on something that not all players would get yo experince seems like something to be put on the back back back burner

2 hours ago, Canis said:

Don't Starve Veterans

I feel as if that was one final middle finger to the entire thing.

This letter was written fine but the letters within contain a story that forces a narrative that verteran players are essentially boils down to veterans are the superior race and they should have the game pampered to their skill level by making it as difficult as playing darksouls with no hands so that they can reach another platou and complain again instead of making something worth while and interesting. Thanks for reading and have a nice day, for whats its worth.

Archived