ADM

[Suggestion] Imagine playing Don't Starve with various Biome Heights (World Plateaux)

FuffledBeeQueen    3,236

it would be dope and probably doable
they did water, at this point they can do anything

Also Snow Biome for high plateaus o.o

Edited by FuffledBeeQueen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hornete    1,067
2 minutes ago, Queron81 said:

Don't Starve is a 2D game.

No, it's not. It's a 3D games with 2D assets, This happens in a lot of other games, Enter the Gungeon is 3D with 2D assets too, to name another game.

• Like 1

maciu67    354
57 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

And it could have a blizzard during winter~

This biome would be beautiful.

They can make mountains on the same principle as caves.

• Like 1

Ezaroth    903
2 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

they did water, at this point they can do anything

Can't really compare since Shipwrecked already had water.

• Like 1

GenomeSquirrel    482

honestly, much like return of them’s water, it seems like you’re just adding more annoyance to traveling. Yes there’s novelty to something new, but soon the novelty wears off and you’re left with yet another chore.

Would you really be any happier wasting 16 logs to enter and exit the desert? Would needing to build a fire every minute add any thrill?

If you want to peak my interest, give me a reason to build stilts. Outside of birds, the sky is barren.

• Like 1

ADM    1,990
58 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

honestly, much like return of them’s water, it seems like you’re just adding more annoyance to traveling. Yes there’s novelty to something new, but soon the novelty wears off and you’re left with yet another chore.

Would you really be any happier wasting 16 logs to enter and exit the desert? Would needing to build a fire every minute add any thrill?

If you want to peak my interest, give me a reason to build stilts. Outside of birds, the sky is barren.

What I suggested is a new set of biomes. So of courses the content you can get for it have to be a big plus, what we do to have from the game for now must stay on the same level, or on a level where you can simply over it, then, you have no changes from the current navigation, and only new lands to conquer. No downsides.

Also, the new lands could generate like on the Wicker loading screen I've posted on top, similar to a valley so your path is always unobstructed, there is a lot of spaces between the various generations tasks of the game that have to be filled with something, have a look here :

0.png

Filling these space can make some magnificent landscapes, clearly, not all world have loops but if you don't have one you will have much more space between world branches, for placing big plateaux or access to a beach biome, making ocean entrances more appreciable.

Edited by ADM
  • Like 1

GenomeSquirrel    482
2 hours ago, ADM said:

What I suggested is a new set of biomes. So of courses the content you can get for it have to be a big plus, what we do to have from the game for now must stay on the same level, or on a level where you can simply over it, then, you have no changes from the current navigation, and only new lands to conquer. No downsides.

Also, the new lands could generate like on the Wicker loading screen I've posted on top, similar to a valley so your path is always unobstructed, there is a lot of spaces between the various generations tasks of the game that have to be filled with something, have a look here :

Filling these space can make some magnificent landscapes, clearly, not all world have loops but if you don't have one you will have much more space between world branches, for placing big plateaux or access to a beach biome, making ocean entrances more appreciable.

normally when people want something changed, they give reasons, examples, speculation. if you want new biomes, sell what advantages the multiple planes will have. i'm confused why new biomes would need this gimmick, and still recovering from my annoyance at the water stuff ...

• Like 1

skulloons    2

While the concept definitely has me intrigued, I gotta say I'm not too keen on that alone. There'd have to be something worthwhile, otherwise it would likely not be well received or anything new/fun - assuming they even could easily implement something like it ( *easily meaning it wouldn't require a mass rework of the game/game engine itself). 

Plus, it's good to keep in mind that Reign of Them's updates aren't finished, and perhaps some of the new updates with it may introduce something similar. Either way, though, it is interesting to think about, a possibility or not :)

• Thanks 1

Ornge    301
13 hours ago, ADM said:

The physic of Don't Starve is actually pretty nice, I don't think that it is an impossible challenge from what I've seen so far from this team, we could have been saying the same from the new boats that can carry structures on them, but they did it ! :)

There's a difference between allowing you to walk on water and creating actual 3d in don't starve

• Confused 1

FuffledBeeQueen    3,236
15 hours ago, Ezaroth said:

Can't really compare since Shipwrecked already had water.

yes, yes you can since SW Water and DST Water are mechanically different from one another, one uses Turfs, one uses actual Filters to create water.

5 hours ago, Ornge said:

There's a difference between allowing you to walk on water and creating actual 3d in don't starve

Ever been to the edge of the world, ever seen what DST looked like before Water rose? DS and DST are 3D games, using 3D Objects and 3D Landscapes, just because they use 2D Textures, doesnt mean its not 3D, All GetPos functions in DST require an X, Y and Z Coord.

To Create Mountains is no hard philosophy, maybe just manipulate the Camera when player reaches heights so the world below them is scaled a bit smaller, but other than that its no rocketscience

WilsonGuy_    815

I have been tossing this idea around in my head over a year ago, but then I thought it would be too much trouble to rework game like this, so I dumped this idea into oblivion. Sure, it's not impossible, but it would require a fair amount of work.

Seeing somebody else suggest this feels nice.

• Like 1

Mike23Ua    733

I just want them to hurry up and port over already existing biomes from the single player Shipwrecked and a Hamlet DLC’s into DS: Together.

What your asking for sure it sounds pretty cool but... why rework the entire game when they already have Volcano & Jungle Biomes with Snakes & Jungle Monkeys, Beach Biomes with Crabs (and yes I’m fully aware all the crabs are is a reskinned rabbit) and in Hamlet there’s even Walking Man-Eating Piranha Plants that even Mario himself would consider the thing of Nightmares.

DST is a beautiful game but it needs more creature and biome variety and porting this stuff into DST would really help to fix that I think. 

NSAiswatchingus    1,929

I love this idea. So much so I made a nod to it in my own world. I redid my Dfly desert with mud, rocky, cave rock, and guano turf to try and give it the feel of rising elevation as you get deeper into the biome. It doesn't really look right especially with the water surrounding it now, but I'd love for something like that to actually be in the game. 

• Thanks 1