Szczuku

What is sailing supposed to be?

Recommended Posts

maradyne    4,027

Hm. Maybe my perspective would change on the walls at least if they had like...a crying/screaming animation when trapped. Something indicating that getting stuck is intended behavior.

That actually sounds beautiful.

 

Getting stuck on and not being to just like path over the same pond they came out of though is still terribad.

Edited by maradyne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ogrecakes    1,279
3 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

-snip-

Aka, the game has been gutted, klei no longer cares about the pre-dst fan base, and I should just accept that Dont Starve, the uncompromising survival wilderness game, is now a social, party, base building sandbox.

 

Yeah, so, Flup that? Catering to the majority audience that THEY created after neutering the game shouldnt come at the cost of the core design philosophies and ideas that made the game a success in the first place. If I wanted a large focus on casual base builing with challenges existing as purely optional enemies and bosses, with the only reason for doing them being cosmetics and increasingly higher statted weapons and armor, I would play minecraft. But this ISNT minecraft, and I wish klei would stop trying to MAKE it minecraft.

 

But I guess its the industry standard to get a good rep, succeed off of their fans, then cater to a casual audience instead after they have the resources to do so.

Edited by Ogrecakes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeklo    16,660
49 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

—and I should just accept that Dont Starve, the uncompromising survival wilderness game, is now a social, party, base building sandbox.

I mean honestly yes? It's probably been years at this point of you still complaining about the same thing.

It bummed be out at first too, but it's not going to suddenly be fixed. Even if the start adding new unavoidable encounters there will already be a handful that don't follow this. Just move on.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crimson Chin    434
16 hours ago, Zeklo said:

I mean honestly yes? It's probably been years at this point of you still complaining about the same thing.

It bummed be out at first too, but it's not going to suddenly be fixed. Even if the start adding new unavoidable encounters there will already be a handful that don't follow this. Just move on.

I'd say the disappointment is reasonable. Its a pretty big shift, and to many that's WHY they got into DS in the first place.. now that's just gone.. giving up and leaving or... just sucking it up and pretending this is the game you used to love... is kind of sad, no? I barely play DST anymore, but I still care deeply about it. I think.. again this is just the case of someone wanting to see the best from the game. It had... and has.. so much potential to be great.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rosten    811
Posted (edited)

Honestly DST hasn't been a game about survival since it's inception. It has _always_ been a much easier, toned down version of DS and there's honestly not much that these endgame bosses could give without totally trivializing what challenge is left. I appreciate someone finally vocalizing why I've lost most of my interest in DST. This just... Isn't Don't Starve anymore.

Edited by Rosten
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    450

They made 3 DLC packs for the single player DS game, if you want the uncompromising wilderness survival blah blah blah... go play that.

But with the exception of Hamlet I actually OWN both Single player DS and DST... the key difference here is MULTIPLAYER- any damn game you can name on the planet becomes significantly easier when you have friends to help you out.

Theres not much difference between Single Player DS & DST outside of there not being a STORY MODE that takes place across 5 randomly generated worlds that has you collect pieces of “the wooden thing” to create a portal to the next story chapter.

I think most of you peoples problem with DST is that your so familiar with what to do that it’s just easy to you.. meanwhile casual players like myself still get frustrated as all hell when Deerclops (who I’ve only lived long enough to see spawn twice) starts wrecking your base apart.

now I play a lot of hardcore games and I know exactly what Klei COULD do to shut you all up and make your quote “totally optional bosses” Mandatory requirements to complete the game. And that’s giving Each boss a part of “The Wooden Thing” and in order to progress into the next (ultimately harder chapter) you would need to kill each of them and collect these parts to craft the portal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moonatik    59

I disagree with a separate hard mode. That "hard" should start late game, after few years. And I like this idea to get the world impacted by one of the optionnal bosses. 

I read above about desease and poison, so spawn some mushtrees everywhere on the map, then more and more, then poisoned areas... Time to kill Toadstool. We could have 1 year left before all the world gets done. It means killing him or dying.

Same with bee queen, we could see killer bees going everywhere. A few. Then they would construct everywhere. Then a lot.

After some years, every year could have a random issue, from one boss. Dragonfly could be lava spawning, then some good fire issues.

New bears could spawn even if we didnt kill the last one.

It could be more than bosses, but the experience should stay on one mode only. It means A LOT of things, but I agree with something else. This game is now too easy for some players. They, you, mastered it. This game is like.. demystified, in some ways. It stays very hard for any new player who never watch a guide. How many players learned something from a guide first ? I did. But after 2, 3 or 4k hours ? At this point we should be ready to multiple the size, world x4, 10 new biomes, same as bosses, new threats...

I understand what we can all ask for. Its the same on every non end game. Contents and a new difficulty step. And more again. On some games, they just create more damage deal and receive, and more hp. And when its not enough, they put a higher one ! Its non sense. Theres so much more to do in DST, even more with sea and islands. Can't wait to see this actual try complete.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    450
2 hours ago, Moonatik said:

I disagree with a separate hard mode. That "hard" should start late game, after few years. And I like this idea to get the world impacted by one of the optionnal bosses. 

I read above about desease and poison, so spawn some mushtrees everywhere on the map, then more and more, then poisoned areas... Time to kill Toadstool. We could have 1 year left before all the world gets done. It means killing him or dying.

Same with bee queen, we could see killer bees going everywhere. A few. Then they would construct everywhere. Then a lot.

After some years, every year could have a random issue, from one boss. Dragonfly could be lava spawning, then some good fire issues.

New bears could spawn even if we didnt kill the last one.

It could be more than bosses, but the experience should stay on one mode only. It means A LOT of things, but I agree with something else. This game is now too easy for some players. They, you, mastered it. This game is like.. demystified, in some ways. It stays very hard for any new player who never watch a guide. How many players learned something from a guide first ? I did. But after 2, 3 or 4k hours ? At this point we should be ready to multiple the size, world x4, 10 new biomes, same as bosses, new threats...

I understand what we can all ask for. Its the same on every non end game. Contents and a new difficulty step. And more again. On some games, they just create more damage deal and receive, and more hp. And when its not enough, they put a higher one ! Its non sense. Theres so much more to do in DST, even more with sea and islands. Can't wait to see this actual try complete.

 

 

You don’t want to Force bosses on players- ESPECIALLY if those players play DST ALONE. Because I don’t know how much of an Expert player YOU are but As for ME I avoid Bee Queen, Dragonfly & Deerclops 

They should either remain Optional challenges, OR become the holders of “The Wooden Thing” parts in a Multiplayer Focused Story Mode.

I have this feeling that the Boats in DST will become the “central hub” for world Exploration, The Return of Them update is still very VERY much incomplete- I would wager we don’t even have 35% of what they’ve got planned for future content updates yet.. 

I can provide evidence of this in saying that they announced RoT as a major content update that will slowly be rolling out in small portions over the course of 2019-2020.

Return of Them as a whole will have 4 brand new playable characters (Wortox,Wormwood,????,????)

Character Ability Reworks for the entire original DST Cast to make them more fun and unique to play as. (Wormwood,Willow, Warly, Winona & Woodie have been Reworked but there’s still a whole lot more to go.)

New Gameplay, Crafting Recipes, Biomes, Enemy creatures & More (Boats, Lunar Island.. Etc)

I would Wager that there are several more Biomes to come, from The Jungle & Beach Biomes of Shipwrecked DLC, The Ruins of Hamlet to the Volcanic Magma filled ones that were exclusive to the limited time Gorge Event.

Now that Sea Sailing has been established, it’s time to start adding new Areas to explore with new challenges.

However DST as a whole package still suffers greatly from a loss of reasoning...

The TL:DR version- There’s a lot of Content still in the pipelines, HOWEVER if they give us little to no reason to set sail and explore these dangerous new areas.. what is even the point?

I would like to request that they actually follow through on the Idea of bringing the Magma/Volcanic Biome into the game.. and that they place the Dragonfly boss on this island. 

Giving each boss their own part of “The Wooden Thing” you will need to kill them and collect in order to advance through DST’s Adventure Mode (this is all assuming that it ever actually gets one of course.)

This method allows casual players to avoid the bosses and continue to enjoy the game.. while at the same time demanding that the experienced players tackle taking them on in order to progress through the games Adventure Chapters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Szczuku    8,651
4 hours ago, Moonatik said:

(snip)

Wow.... ok

1. With all due respect towards singleplayer team, im sorry but singleplayer ds is absolutely not fun to play when compared to dst. So no I can't just "go play ds". What  I can do is leave the entire franchise and play another game. But that shouldn't be considered an option.

2. I play dst alone, so no; ain't no friends making life easier for me.

3. I created this thread because so far I don't see much reason to go sailing- it takes some preperation and rewards are mostly not worth it.

I was worried that RoT is gonna end up being the NR and just adds a ton of optional content without changing the main gameplay at all. Nw was the update chain made to add lots of optional content, now I'd like an update chain that focuses more on the main gameplay

Edited by Szczuku
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    450

I’m pretty sure all the character reworks ARE Considered main Gameplay... but uhh yeah no need to get hostile about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moonatik    59
8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

You don’t want to Force bosses on players- ESPECIALLY if those players play DST ALONE. Because I don’t know how much of an Expert player YOU are but As for ME I avoid Bee Queen, Dragonfly & Deerclops 

Thats why we have settings free to turn on, less or off. We could turn off the Toadstool threat, or the bee queen one. It just give the possibility, without a separate mode, to find some difficulties for those who wants to. I wouldnt want to see things I could be ready for just because Im not playing the right mode. Thats what I meant.

And if it means starting a new game, we could instead have the possibility to start these threat events by crafting something, when we feel ready. Your story mode could perfectly match with this kind of threats. We start it and some troubles would start. Killing bosses to pass portals, or to end up some cycles, finding some of them on specific islands.

I dont feel as an expert. And Im not because I fight the deerclops, put some rabbits around the bee queen and let them fight. I just fight my first Dragonfly on solo yesterday, but with Wolfgang, marble armor, jelly goat, pepper and garlic spices, and walls around me. I knew it was OP, and it is. With these protections, armor, helmet and garlic, the damage received are just very small. So I did it. More OP tank than expert.

Its a good game to force yourself on bosses, no ? 

Jelly goat and spices, especially, helps me to reach these solo fights. Klaus once, and Toadstool once, both with jellyed WX. My friend dont play anymore, he used to come for boss fights, so I had to try solo for the 1st time. Then Wolfgang for the Dragonfly.

 

8 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Wow.... ok

1. With all due respect towards singleplayer team, im sorry but singleplayer ds is absolutely not fun to play when compared to dst. So no I can't just "go play ds". What  I can do is leave the entire franchise and play another game. But that shouldn't be considered an option.

2. I play dst alone, so no; ain't no friends making life easier for me.

3. I created this thread because so far I don't see much reason to go sailing- it takes some preperation and rewards are mostly not worth it.

I was worried that RoT is gonna end up being the NR and just adds a ton of optional content without changing the main gameplay at all. Nw was the update chain made to add lots of optional content, now I'd like an update chain that focuses more on the main gameplay

 

You're right, there is only few things to take from this island. At least some stone fruits trees, some lunar trees if you want to farm flowers and keep them in bundle wrap, and some glass cutters. Moonglass axe + honey spice for Toadstool trees. For now its one good use I see for this axe. 

But if its only the beginning, how can we know ? I guess we didnt have the bigger things of this chapter. So its maybe too soon to get to this conclusion.

And Im sorry for my english. I dont want to fight or being hostile. I dont know how to take this "wow". Many people talked about difficulties, modes and mods. I'm just a dreamer and I like imagine some fews things that will take this game further. It doesnt even have to be difficult, Its not what Im saying. Giving some world impact, non optionnal, is the point.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Szczuku    8,651
11 minutes ago, Moonatik said:

And Im sorry for my english. I dont want to fight or being hostile. I dont know how to take this "wow". Many people talked about difficulties, modes and mods. I'm just a dreamer and I like imagine some fews things that will take this game further. It doesnt even have to be difficult, Its not what Im saying. Giving some world impact, non optionnal, is the point.

Oh sorry I didn't mean to quote you. I meant to quote this:

16 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

(snip)

 

Edited by Szczuku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moonatik    59
1 minute ago, Szczuku said:

Oh sorry I didn't mean to queote you. I meant to quote this:

 

 

Oh, ok ! I felt confused, I see why. You know what, I thought about it, then you talk about the easier things... And.... I guess Im sometimes stupid.

No worries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maradyne    4,027

The Discord server for this mod is pretty active, there's been steady progress on it, and the changes it makes aleviate some of the concerns about DST's direction change mentioned above.

If you're interested, feel free to join up and give your input! We have regular votes on concepts that receive community support, several of which have already been implemented. There are also testing sessions hosted, usually by a certain project head, and announced there.

 

For the first segment, the focus is making things harder, but there's ongoing talk of other sorts of changes later down the road to make sure the challenges the world throws at you are a worthwhile part of the experience.

Edited by maradyne
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now