Steam turbine steam amount

each turbine port sucks in up to 0.4kg/sec of steam. which means the steam in the chamber get disproportionate and the equalizing of gas mas battles that removal of 0.4kg/sec. I think anything over 10kg/tile can be considered safe if the return pipes are not extremely long.

17 minutes ago, MorsDux said:

each turbine port sucks in up to 0.4kg/sec of steam. which means the steam in the chamber get disproportionate and the equalizing of gas mas battles that removal of 0.4kg/sec. I think anything over 10kg/tile can be considered safe if the return pipes are not extremely long.

That's what I hoped you'd say. I tend to put a good amount of water in. I was just afraid that long startup times could cause excessive heat to get lost.

I generally prefer to err on the side of too much steam than too little. To little steam and the generator won't run optimally due to lack of pressure.
Too much steam just means that you need to put more heat into the thermal mass under the turbine before it starts to run optimally.

The latter simply means, that you need to put more heat into the room initially before it's able to run full throttle. The former means it won't run at full throttle no matter how much heat you have.

I was overboiling some water for rockets and was surprised to find out that the liquid vent will overpressurize with 1000k of gas pressure too.  So perhaps gas pressure can break tiles it just has to be more gas pressure than anyone could normally get to.

20190913210452_1.thumb.jpg.b5dd4cae47c373606d11d5699ec1e069.jpg

36 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

I was overboiling some water for rockets and was surprised to find out that the liquid vent will overpressurize with 1000k of gas pressure too.  So perhaps gas pressure can break tiles it just has to be more gas pressure than anyone could normally get to.

20190913210452_1.thumb.jpg.b5dd4cae47c373606d11d5699ec1e069.jpg

You have no heater in that steam room! You must be a warlock! D:

7 minutes ago, Chthonicone said:

You have no heater in that steam room! You must be a warlock! D:

There is a very shy aquatuner cowering behind the tooltips.

Also you can do the same thing as with gas vents with the liquid vents to allow more pressure in the room by putting it in a low pressure tile of hydrogen to avoid over pressure.

1 minute ago, ZanthraSW said:

There is a very shy aquatuner cowering behind the tooltips.

Also you can do the same thing as with gas vents with the liquid vents to allow more pressure in the room by putting it in a low pressure tile of hydrogen to avoid over pressure.

I just woke up. Gonna chalk this one up to that.

1 hour ago, 0xFADE said:

Nope. There are infinite gas storage builds and do not need multi-tile walls.

15 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

I don't think I've ever had any of my 'infinite gas storage' rooms reach a pressure over 1000kg/tile.  Most of mine are usually 200 to 500kg when I start using the resource I've been saving up.

36 minutes ago, DonDegow said:

As Lilalaunekuh said, generally a total of 1000kg of water does the trick, stable enough yet not too much SHC in there and easier to build, simply fill a tile.

Do you mean 1000kg per tile or 1000kg per steam turbine? That's a single tile of water.

If you were going to do more than 1000kg of steam, there are ways to get around this. The only reason I can think of to add an enormousness amount of steam would be to have it act a battery bank with a stable power supply. You could even automate it to include a shutoff that adds more water as it heats up.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.649aa90d904965d0ac5e6672fb490a4d.pngimage.thumb.png.e181588536d3d68ac6e0f88abedd2481.png

image.png.be89168b7d37409f92eacfaa6ade496e.pngimage.thumb.png.1384cf7ab32ea55c7c4f44677d09f881.pngimage.png.c32324a864afdcf9f77f69ab8a65f586.pngimage.png.4800f23fc7142790ceaa4e82e5820524.png

9 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

It's actually the liquid vent that gets damaged due to "overpressure". Something about liquid + gas pressure interactions, perhaps?

I broke my liquid vent this way back in a QoL III colony, I assume it's the same in LU.

Edit: Actually, I double checked. It was the pipe itself, as the water unable to escape was heated and converted to steam. So don't mind me.

The liquid vent does not take damage from being over pressure. Liquid vents simply have a max pressure of 1000kg. That's why it stops when it fills up with water, and it doesn't when it fills up with petroleum. It doesn't care if it's gas or liquid. Same for 2kg gas vent and 20kg high pressure vent.

If you are building your steam room surrounding a volcano, you can over pressurize your volcano and it will stop. I keep them at 120kg per tile for this reason. Apparently they are supposed to overpressurize at 500kg.

21 hours ago, Chthonicone said:

That's what I hoped you'd say. I tend to put a good amount of water in. I was just afraid that long startup times could cause excessive heat to get lost.

That's not the point, the most important is to have enough steam to don't burn the AT. Even with steel, if you don't have enough steam (> 10-20Kg / tile), it will burn because the steam have a really small thermal conductivity so you have to offset that by a mass effect.

But you also have to don't put too much steam if you don't want block the liquid vent.

1 minute ago, SamLogan said:

That's not the point, the most important is to have enough steam to don't burn the AT. Even with steel, if you don't have enough steam (> 10-20Kg / tile), it will burn because the steam have a really small thermal conductivity so you have to offset that by a mass effect.

Yet I didn't use an aqua tuner and I got it working ;)

Archived