frequent timeouts due to short spikes, setting for dedicated server?

Hello, I'm NOT hosting on dedicated server currently, but someone i play with has a ~1 second ping spike/timeout which doesn't seem fixable every once in a while, which leads to being disconnected from the server every time. My question is if the dedicated server would handle that differently and if it would be worth it to switch to that, as far as I've see there are no time out limit settings for the server that i could raise like on other servers, that would be a really useful feature!

Is there anything  else i could do for not timing out players for extended lag? this ruins the experience quite a bit, cause its every few minutes but the game plays completely smooth and normal apart from that and reconnecting takes quite long.

thanks for any advice.

A ~1 sec spike won't be nearly enough for a complete timeout. A friend of mine sometimes plays with a second delay constantly, spiking to something like 5-20 seconds delay (due to long distance and internet things) without disconnects.

While it is possible that a dedicated server can fix those issues, I'd first try to track down the initial cause for those timeouts:
Are you running any mods?
Are there any mods on the host?
Is the Host hardware good enough?
Does the host have internet disconnects once in a while?

etc.

Cause afaik the dedicated server doesn't have any option for prolonging the time till disconnect. Also the client hosted ones shouldn't disconnect you as quickly as that without reason either. So you've probably got timeouted due to a different reason, possibly one of the ones I've listed above.

thanks for you're reply.

that is interesting to know, cause the spikes are definitely not that long and it still disconnects.

we only run client mods like mini map and smart crock pot, but will try with turning them off. hardware shouldn't be a problem, it worked also when we played a longer while ago.

it happens that i have spikes as well as the host but its not that often and also not long. do you know a good way to monitor that during the game? guess if i cant pin it down to something else will just try the dedicated server.

I think the easiest steps of tracking down the issue would be first to read the server log, or alternatively the client log if the server log doesn't show anything. It might show something the moment the client disconnects, such as a bad packet or whatever disrupts the data flow.

If that doesn't point you to any solution try starting a fresh map without any mods and see if the issue persists. If it's working fine then it's probably either some incompatibility between mods or maybe a mod that is incompatible with one of the recent DST updates.

If that still has issues, I guess the only way to actually track down the issue would be actually analysing the traffic with wireshark or a similar tool. Though in that case it'd probably easier to actually just set up a dedicated server and hope that it'll somehow fixes the issue xD.

Archived