Chopping Comparison: Why Is Maxwell Considered Best Again? (New Footages Includes Collecting)

Chopping 40 grown trees,

- regular chopping with 4 pigs (with automatic chopping mod cancelling animation): 99 sec

- woodie (with automatic chopping mod cancelling animation): 80 sec

- beaver: 60 sec (I subtract 5 sec from footage as error)

- maxwell's puppy chopping: > 150 sec

Why is Maxwell preferred to Woodie? To me maxwell's chopping is the worst... Plus puppies chops decorative trees around bases.

- maxwell is better with other players because he has low max hp and will likely lose puppies to treeguards if not stop chopping

- for one man chopping, regular chopping or lucy chopping is also very very efficient.

My favorite is lucy chopping. What about you?

I'm using mod action queue reborn. I think every seasoned player should try it.

Here goes my footage

Edit added:

I excluded digging tree stumps on purpose, because they take long. The reason I used 3 chopping puppies and 1 digging puppy is because that's what people usually have, and I want my footage to be close to real world practice. In my preference, I'd do 4 chopping puppies and burn the stumps. 

Newly Added

40 grown trees chopping without digging but with collecting log

- Maxwell 151 sec (I subtracted 4 sec from footage due to the treeguard)

- Woodie 179 sec

- Beaver 166 sec (with seconds waiting due to too few trees)

- regular chopping 135 sec - Winner unexpected

I've been wondering this myself since the Woodie refresh. Now that he doesn't have to eat almost half of the logs that he chops, I was under the impression that even Woodie's regular self would be better at gathering wood than Maxwell. But yeah I don't think that your Woodie and Beaver data is entirely accurate since you didn't bother to dig up all the stumps like you did with Maxwell and considering the times as they are, I'd estimate that Maxwell is definitely faster.

Woodie still has an advantage over needing much less resources to start gathering wood though, so I'm still not sure who I'd say is necessarily better.

55 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Beaver doesn't spawn treeguards anymore. 

I'm surprised, why is that?

53 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Also Warly's honey cristals help double Lucy and Beaver but not Maxwell's slaves

I know. But I was more focused on one man chopping, so I didn't take that into account.

46 minutes ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

The stumps

Stumps is not worth digging because they take long. That's why I excluded digging. The reason I used 3 chopping puppies and 1 digging puppy is because that's what people usually have, and I want my footage to be close to real world practice. In my preference, I'd do 4 chopping puppies and burn the stumps. 

3 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

That's why.

I missed that in notes.

Maxwell is the better log gatherer solo, just not as fast at just chopping trees, but this was the case before the patch too, not sure what has changed. Edit,  noticed you didn't include stumps kinda makes this test weird since that just wasted resources that maxwell would get that wooodie wouldn't without more time. If that was the case not sure why you didn't use 4 cutters.

For a fair comparison we need to wait for the Maxwell rework. Tho for now, they are close in my opinion. As for the chopping goes of course, but I still choose Maxwell due to sanity management  and ability  to read books. 

Spoiler

(The dancing goose is pushing me tho I would just play as woodie from now on)

28 minutes ago, goatt said:

Stumps is not worth digging because they take long. That's why I excluded digging. The reason I used 3 chopping puppies and 1 digging puppy is because that's what people usually have, and I want my footage to be close to real world practice. In my preference, I'd do 4 chopping puppies and burn the stumps.

Why not have your test be 4 choppers then? Either the stumps matter or they don't. That's not a fair comparison if you're not maxing the chopping power if that's the only thing that matters here.

The other thing your test seem to be missing is the time it takes to pick up all that wood. Maxwell can pick it up while chopping while Woodie cannot. A more accurate test would include that too in my opinion.

I did some testing on my own:
4 Shadow loggers: ~156s ending up with 120 logs

3 Shadow loggers, 1 Shadow digger: ~166s ending up with 160 logs

I think that happens due to one of the loggers being pretty much useless because of body blocks (if you pay attention to the 4 loggers video you'll hear how irregular the chopping is sometimes and you can see them chopping the air frequently).

Maxwell can get ~0.96... wood per second with 3 loggers and 1 digger while a player with 4 pigs would get ~0.92... wood per second (with the info you gave us).
So Maxwell is still better, even more considering you would have to keep giving meat to the pigs and they sleep at night.

The log you get from one stump might not seem like much but it's cheaper if you consider you would get 1 log for 5 chops (the animation on the shovel takes what? The time of 3-4 chops?).

7 hours ago, goatt said:

- maxwell's puppy chopping: > 150 sec

Plus puppies chops decorative trees around bases.

- maxwell is better with other players because he has low max hp and will likely lose puppies

4 chopping puppies and burn the stumps.

Maybe this is a common fan term for Maxwell's shadow puppets and I never heard it before, or maybe this is your own term. Either way, I love the mental image it conjures, of Maxwell sending out a bunch of cute little dogs to work for him. Maybe like baby hounds fetching stuff for him. Varglings, I guess. :wilson_smile:

@minespatch Do you have a suitable drawing for Maxwell's puppies? If not, I challenge you!

2 hours ago, Pruinae said:

Maxwell can get ~0.96... wood per second with 3 loggers and 1 digger while a player with 4 pigs would get ~0.92... wood per second (with the info you gave us).

you have to consider treeguard spawning and losing puppets, and the time you spent on farming nightmare, compared to time on farming meat, which is trivia. That's why he's better at chopping with other players.

Very interesting. I wonder if Werebeaver would surpass Pigman aid if there's a second player to collect the logs (and maybe dig the stumps). Maxwell and his puppets don't benefit from another person (unless they encounter a tree guard, in which case the effectiveness is severely impacted even with another person to help).

12 hours ago, goatt said:

I'm using mod action queue reborn. I think every seasoned player should try it.

Using a blatantly advantageous mod to compare? I honestly don't think we should be saying who is better based on mods.

I guess that's the part of me speaking that really dislikes action queue reborn. I like having to manually do my tasks.

Archived