Woodie Character Update Now Available + RoT:Salty Dog Beta

JoeW

Okay.... let's analyze Woodie new forms , because human Woodie it's perfect now. that's good! you can ignore randomly transforming or eating the logs early game. Pine cones? not a problem since the sanity management its nice to balance the next forms! You can also get living logs early, okay a plus. Since we can ignore them later in the game going Beaver form.

Goose form will be useful in the early days for scouting, but its usefulness falls off pretty quickly , mostly for scouting ruins. Because compared to old beaver scouting now you don't really need to gnaw logs or forests, instead you proc it when you want!
Moose deals about 59 damage (roughly hambat) with 80% dmg reduction (football helmet). It encourages to tank damage or it will drain out quickly if you kite. ( good vs bees,hounds,spiders,beefalo and koelephants ) its bad vs anything you need to kite or can not use your charge on.
Beaver form is pretty great now that he doesn't need to eat logs, and wont spawn treeguards. ( Digging stuff should take only 1 gnaw, mining is ok, beavers don't gnaw rocks this would be a good fix)

So the real problem across all new transformation is time running out and hp penalty.

Moose needs a bit more defense like 90%, or health regen, you are making us literally TANK the dmg to stay in this form , since all forms are intended early game right? well then let's make them very good for early game because we will have the tools to deal with everything else easily in human form, i mean to encourage using this later. 

Goose not much to say... you will only run and later on you can scout while also picking stuff with a cane and dealing better against nightmares in human form. So? like i said time it's very important, instead of actually a meter decreasing, not only for Goose , Moose and Beaver , it actually should decrease with this speed, but if we perform those specifics tasks it should go up! why? because we still have to manage sanity while we abuse this forms early game . So for me i would take one of them, get reduced HP penalty to -6~10 like 2 monster meat when crafting the idols or give us the increased time for tasks.

If you force the transformation it punishes you hard taking 30 hp dmg and depleting all your hunger in 30 secs.  ( Hunger is not a problem! )
Efficient way?: Not using the idols, praying to rng for desired transformation while eating 2 cooked monster meat and only doing it near 0 hunger ( you can also chain transformations to skip eating for hunger) .This is great ~ ONLY EARLY GAME ~, you still have to be careful because sanity is still draining, a bit lower than before, but still draining , the ideas are going in a good way in a balance view. but completely negates the early uses this forms can have . The hp penalties are too big and you would be better just staying human and playing as normal woodie , then ignoring Goose and Moose and only using Beaver when reaching late game or just ehhh playing a rng gacha game with a stack of cooked monster meat hoping you get what you want. 

For a character design to completely ignore the use of those forms early, which is the whole idea ( Specifically the idols penalty )

Goes against the early use of their easily and accessible craft system, its early oriented powers, they need more preparation , by the time you have that said preparation, you are better by just going human, why? you can't even pick stuff as Goose

The animations for transformations can also be dangerous if you are being chased so is not newbie friendly either, it was aimed at how to perform early strats differently.

So why is it a problem? the cheap system and fast decline in how useful will be later in the game does not make sense with the actual drawback because its dangerous and requires preparation, so by the time you get prepared you pretty much are better fighting normal or exploring with cane. ( YES BECAUSE I HAVE TO REPEAT IT AGAIN )

At most, i would force a random form hoping for werebeaver at night you don't worry about night and keep logging, or late game for uhh log farming ( no Treeguards is good lategame) ( in caves you go for blue mushroom forest if you want early strat rush preparations).
Moose great to deal with horde of small mobs.
Goose will be nice to explore ruins and exploring it quickly, not cleaning it, spotting it.
And Idols , yeah the idols, like never using them, and doing 2 cooked monster meat to reduce the penalty. Because eating 2 cooked monster meat ensures you keep the healing food longer , heal less, your hp do not go down that faster ( Bluecaps <- yah imagine trying to use those forms with idols early because you want to use those said early strats and you have to heal , you sanity goes down QUICKLY now you have to deal with nightmares running at you , which is annoying why do i even bother with the forms , just play woodie like any other char and i do not get little reward and high risk for said tasks)

So most of the transformations are for SPECIFIC situations which do not even accomplish it that well, its not a must for the gameplay if you don't like them so atleast i can stay woodie knowing they are still this bad until a fix comes up.
So yes live in the edge. But we are in the right direction, i hope we can see some tweaks for quality of life. 

> I only made the forum account to post about this, because it really shocks me how it went live like this
I know balance is important, but atleast make it.. fun? not annoying to the point of ignoring them and playing using only one form.

Edit: Thank you, most of the problems were fixed in one day , could not been more happy! <3 , now he can be used effectively early game and pull some cheap strats and more strats if you play with a team. Jack of all trades master of none because later on he falls, but thats the point , a flexible early character now, not just lumberjack! 

What a mass of content that seems to have went wrong, but hey since my time here Klei has had a pretty good track record. Bound to happen, and hopefully they'll work with the less than positive feedback this go 'round.

My opinion: 

• Twitch drops GOOD. I know that's a separate thread, but it's a really nice batch, eh?
  • Poor Woodie mains. It's neat to goof around with, but reading the more constructive feedback given, I can see why it's meh, eh?
  • Give me back my original Autumn & turn this into Lunar/sea music please & thank you.~* Does not suit in my opinion, and it's taking away something very base to the game. Ehhhhh?
  • I haven't even begun to play around with the beta content but I'm excited for it. Eh eh ehhhhh!!!!

...I feel like all of the basic concepts of this update were good, but he was overturned toward the negative end, making most of the changes feel bad. Something to keep in mind that while the forms theoretically have a lot of power...they're only good at one thing each. Counter them too much, and they stop being worthwhile.
So yea. I think this is just a tuning issue.
Improve on what you now already have and give the player more control, and it'll work.

My thoughts on how to save the update:
- When forms engage in actions that extend the form, also increase Sanity by a small amount; both drains become countered so long as you're focused, making the forms really sustainable.
- Keep the base for form duration where it is, but increase the amount of time that form-related actions give, to the point that you can keep the forms going as long as you're doing those things, with a little leeway for moving around; it should be up to the player how long they want to go.
- If Moose is a combat form, it should be better than Human Woodie using basic equipment; boost its armor rating to 90% or more. Stop worrying about PvP, the entire game would need to be reworked line by line before that mode can even approach balance.
- Goose is neat in concept but lackluster in execution. Let it wade through the water, and greatly slow its form timer drain for as long as it's in the water.
- ...finally, the hunger loss on form return is just dumb. At least leave the player with some hunger, say 1/3, and not instantly starving.

Ok, but seriously.
Swimming werebeaver was the top request for this rework among the community.
It came up in just about every topic regarding it.
Make the form all about movement able to swim, at the very least. Remove the legs and add some waves, and you've got a blobby wading animation.
If you change nothing else about this update, at the very least, add some sort of were-form swimming with a decent duration.

...and I'd just like to note that the above isn't a wish-list; it's a 'Klei please save this poor man' list. There are a few things that I know for a fact would be fairly simple to implement and would work very well thematically with Woodie, or otherwise improve upon the mechanics of the update.
But I don't feel making the Woodie update a solid positive is something we can bother thinking about yet.
Right now, it's just too screwed, and needs to be saved.

5d7b188bc77ef_QQ20190911224514.png.dc1191b10f9aa626dd38a989607ac310.png

Wilba can eat monster foods (Monster Meat, Bean Bugs and Gummy Slugs, including cooked and dried variations) without receiving negative effects on health and sanity. She can also eat spoiled food without any loss of sanity.

Wilba will turn into a Werepig during a Full Moon, Aporkalypse, or after eating two monster food items within half a day.

Her Werepig form has some special powers:

• Night vision, which means she is immune to Charlie.
  • Immune to Freezing, Overheating and Fog.
  • Running speed 50% faster.
  • No loss of Sanity in darkness.
  • Her attack does 59.5 damage.
  • Has more Health (350) 
  • Heals herself by 0.5  per second as long as she is not starving.
  • Is able to mine, chop, dig, hammer and hack objects.

In contrast to Woodie's Werebeaver form:

• She is still able to pick up, use, and craft items, while the Werebeaver cannot.
  • The Werebeaver is immune to Poison, while she is not.
  • The Werebeaver is able to absorb 75% of incoming damage, while she cannot.
  • The Map is still available to her.

Wilba reverts back to her normal pig form after the Full Moon or Aporkalypse ends. If the transformation was induced by eating monster food, she will turn back after 1 Day. Each monster food eaten will extend the duration of the transformation by half a Day. Note that Gummy Slugs and Bean Bugs count as monster food and will turn Wilba into a Werepig. Upon returning to her normal form, Wilba will drop 2 Beard Hairs.

From wiki.

4 minutes ago, Poebus said:

i want my old autumn music and battle theme backatleast add that as setting options or something( old music )

I have a compromise for the devs. Learning from Oxygen Not Included and Hot Lava, the music in those games are diogenic. If we can keep the new and old music together depending on the player's actions, it would help the players who like the old and new music.

25 minutes ago, Poebus said:

i want my old autumn music and battle theme back

atleast add that as setting options or something( old music )

Thankfully a mod has already been made for that. (And I'm using it cause the new theme feels out of place, or at least better suited for the ocean only)

Oh and has anyone else noticed klei brought over the new tree chopping sounds from DS Hamlet?

36 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I have a compromise for the devs. Learning from Oxygen Not Included and Hot Lava, the music in those games are diogenic. If we can keep the new and old music together depending on the player's actions, it would help the players who like the old and new music.

Yea, my first thought on the music was Terraria. They finally added a new music track for 'normal' time and locations (the equivalent of DS's Autumn) after...god, years? So the game wouldn't feel so monotonous. But rather than replace the old track and have people just get tired of the new one, it was set so either the new or the old music could play.

Personally, I'd really like a system where the game, by default, picks from a list of 'valid' songs each day, sticking to them until the next day cycle. There don't have to be a bunch of songs made to fill in that system, but it would enable simpler creation of community music packs that add to the musical lineup, rather than replacing entirely.

10 hours ago, Bird Up said:

spamming fix woodie without addressing what needs fixed isn't very productive is it.

Has anyone found out how to find malbatross. I don't care about spawning him using the console. How do I find him normally?

I think you can't atm

But once implemented, probably during fishing a lot? similar to quacken

there is a placeholder "fishingnet" and fishes in deep ocean, right now it doesn't work

EDIT: Code says that he spawns randomly and flies toward shoals of fish on the map.

Oh man im so dissapointed with this update... They didnt fixed what needed to be fixed, made something that no one asked for, and did it so bad. I mean, i like new forms, i enjoy how they look and feel, but tuning... like, really? There is no point in playing in those forms - they last so short and cost too much. And now he is even worse as lumberjack, because you cant so easy and constantly utilize werebeaver form, and then replenish sanity back with tree cones... So whats the point of this update, again?

Just now, loopuleasa said:

I think you can't atm

But once implemented, probably during fishing a lot? similar to quacken

there is a placeholder "fishingnet" and fishes in deep ocean, right now it doesn't work

No you can, if you look shortly after my post, Zarklord answers it.

He spawns around day 26 with about 25% chance of appearing around fishing shoal. In practice I've only got him to spawn on day 28, but yeah, he can spawn in.

Archived