Woodie Character Update Now Available + RoT:Salty Dog Beta

JoeW

• Developer
1 minute ago, Brago-sama said:

So how do you retrofit a pre-existing world. Or does the update just do it automatically 

The beta uses a separate save folder. Hopefully this post will answer any questions you have:
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/106156-how-to-opt-in-to-return-of-them-beta-for-dont-starve-together/

18 hours ago, JoeW said:

Every character has their story, and with each refresh, secrets will be revealed. See what new surprises Woodie has to share with you here:

Okay! Where are those secrets and surprises?

Short is nice but I was sure it would take place in Canada when I first saw the teaser last week. Wasn't really hoping for any important lore but this time I'm seriously disappointed. There was nothing new. It's just a promo video about Woodie's new abilities which I personally liked to discover during game play. I'm glad Klei said that his new forms comes with him being exposed to lunar power more directly because otherwise it would be just speculation. It would be more accurate to actually shot the short about him discovering new powers and changes I guess, but that's just my opinion.

That animation was honestly a bit underwhelming, the art style didn't seem to fit, there wasn't any story/backstory, we learned nothing about Woodie... and the way that Moose thing was animated...

GREAT UPDATE ALL AROUND THOUGH YES

Edit: nevermind woodie is fundamentally broken.

15 minutes ago, Spirit Glow said:

Can someone give me  quick rundown of how the transformations work? I turned into weremoose 3 times and within seconds turn back into human form before getting to try it out. also sucks that u loose health for transforming >.>

The one that runs faster you can keep it the transformation longer if you run, werebeaver when you chop and the other one while you attack something.

34 minutes ago, KCDA said:

RIP. Woodie had a chance to finally beat Maxwell in the title of, "Best Forest Clearer," and it was thrown away. Treeguards are the only thing that stops Maxwell's shadows productivity since they don't want to be hit. Woodie spawning more Treeguards just means he has less time to actually chop Trees, making him even more out-classed by Maxwell... Actually, thanks to that one detail, I feel LESS inclined to chop Trees as the LUMBERJACK character.

The End-game was already flooded with Treeguards spawning in constantly, and in pairs of threes even. Now Woodie gets 50% more spawn chances. **Note: 50% higher spawn chance does not mean 1.5x Treeguards. 

Let's say that in the late game, if you chop 10 Trees on average you get one set of Treeguards spawning. If you chop 100, you would get on average 10 sets of Treeguards, 30 Treeguards total. Woodie with his 50% higher chance of spawning Treeguards after chopping 100 Trees would get 15 sets of Treeguards... 45 TREEGUARD TOTAL. Keep in mind, those numbers and chances are made up, but hopefully people start to notice just how big a spike that is.

We already have a character that can grow Living Logs, and another character to instantly remedy the HP penalty by killing a Butterfly. 1 Living Log for 2 people's time, and the killing of a single Butterfly, a great trade. We don't need to sacrifice Woodie's potential to clear a forest by increasing his chance to spawn Treeguards. If anything it should be lowered. Here's what I propose:

That simple change would give Woodie the chance to out-pace Maxwell's shadows, and take his rightful place as the LUMBERJACK character.

Sure Woodie becoming more than a gatherer is great, and so is his new-found ability to be productive in other ways, but he's originally designed as a gatherer, and now he's just worse at that job...

Werebeaver will not spawn any Treeguards though. So you can change that from 45 to 0 if you want

So

39 minutes ago, KCDA said:

RIP. Woodie had a chance to finally beat Maxwell in the title of, "Best Forest Clearer," and it was thrown away. Treeguards are the only thing that stops Maxwell's shadows productivity since they don't want to be hit. Woodie spawning more Treeguards just means he has less time to actually chop Trees, making him even more out-classed by Maxwell... Actually, thanks to that one detail, I feel LESS inclined to chop Trees as the LUMBERJACK character.

The End-game was already flooded with Treeguards spawning in constantly, and in pairs of threes even. Now Woodie gets 50% more spawn chances. **Note: 50% higher spawn chance does not mean 1.5x Treeguards. 

Let's say that in the late game, if you chop 10 Trees on average you get one set of Treeguards spawning. If you chop 100, you would get on average 10 sets of Treeguards, 30 Treeguards total. Woodie with his 50% higher chance of spawning Treeguards after chopping 100 Trees would get 15 sets of Treeguards... 45 TREEGUARD TOTAL. Keep in mind, those numbers and chances are made up, but hopefully people start to notice just how big a spike that is.

We already have a character that can grow Living Logs, and another character to instantly remedy the HP penalty by killing a Butterfly. 1 Living Log for 2 people's time, and the killing of a single Butterfly, a great trade. We don't need to sacrifice Woodie's potential to clear a forest by increasing his chance to spawn Treeguards. If anything it should be lowered. Here's what I propose:

That simple change would give Woodie the chance to out-pace Maxwell's shadows, and take his rightful place as the LUMBERJACK character.

Sure Woodie becoming more than a gatherer is great, and so is his new-found ability to be productive in other ways, but he's originally designed as a gatherer, and now he's just worse at that job...

i think u missed the part where the werebeaver cant spawn treeguards

Archived