cybers2001

Power usage balancing with storage is whack

Recommended Posts

cybers2001    10

Does it seem like refrigerators and smart storage compactors use an obscene amount of power to anyone else? 2 fridges or 4 smart compactors use as much power as a pump operating 24/7. By late game I have like 50 fridges. Did Klei really balance power usage with the mindset that most people will just keep their fridges unpowered?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mathmanican    2,276
1 minute ago, cybers2001 said:

Does it seem like refrigerators and smart storage compactors use an obscene amount of power to anyone else?

Yep, which is why tons of us just dump our crap into tiny chlorine or CO2 rooms, sequestered from the rest of the base, and never look back. My early game puts a ration box, nestled in a chlorine locked put under the lavatory and next to the great hall, so that after they wash, they get to eat. Upgrade to 2 fridges, and then eventually a chute....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cybers2001    10
Just now, mathmanican said:

Yep, which is why tons of us just dump our crap into tiny chlorine or CO2 rooms, sequestered from the rest of the base, and never look back. My early game puts a ration box, nestled in a chlorine locked put under the lavatory and next to the great hall, so that after they wash, they get to eat. Upgrade to 2 fridges, and then eventually a chute....

Sure, I get that, and I do that as well to get me by... but by late game when I'm prettying up everything, seeing all the no-powered symbols everywhere starts to really trigger me. I also like using smart storage a lot for automation, but I hate that I get punished so harshly for doing so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MorsDux    163

to be honest a flatrate power consumption for fridges is nonsense, it should consume power in proportion of heat loss that could be easily programmed (even by modding i think).

- heat transfer with surrounding gas

- heat transfer amount every time the fridge is used (opened and closed)

- heat transfer while stored material gets to the 4 degrees Celsius target temperature.

 

Anyways very late game you can either support a 50 fridges powered make an auto-backup storage area in chlorine. You can also make your own walk-in fridge by cooling a room down to -20 degrees or something and having conveyor loaders or fridges there unpowered is fine. Tbh i didnt try this and you might lose god knows how much % of food degradation due to slow heat transfer in your walk-in fridge.

I store all my foodstuff in conveyor loaders because they store 10x as much as a fridge and I have my overflow storage in chlorine autofeeding my kichen. Only frost burgers go to the great hall where 2 fridges store the burgers, and if either of the 2 fridges are full I just turn off my gas range with automation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mathmanican    2,276
13 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

I also like using smart storage a lot for automation, but I hate that I get punished so harshly for doing so.

I completely agree.  Maybe the devs will address this some day. 

2 minutes ago, MorsDux said:

it should consume power in proportion of heat loss

Excellent plan.  I bet we'll get a modder someday to make this, if Klei never addresses this issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cybers2001    10
12 minutes ago, MorsDux said:

I store all my foodstuff in conveyor loaders because they store 10x as much as a fridge and I have my overflow storage in chlorine autofeeding my kichen. Only frost burgers go to the great hall where 2 fridges store the burgers, and if either of the 2 fridges are full I just turn off my gas range with automation.

That's fair. Make fridges meant to serve as an endpoint for dupes, and expect players to only ever have a few in their base. Though, they should allow regular compactors to store food, or buff the storage capacity of ration boxes.

Smart storage compactors should only consume power when a change occurs in its contents. That would make it more consistent with power consumption in airlock doors, gas filters, shutoff valves, etc.

Edited by cybers2001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
snoozer    111
1 hour ago, cybers2001 said:

I also like using smart storage a lot for automation, but I hate that I get punished so harshly for doing so.

@Saturnus posted a nice workaround a while ago:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gus Smedstad    351
2 hours ago, cybers2001 said:

By late game I have like 50 fridges. Did Klei really balance power usage with the mindset that most people will just keep their fridges unpowered?

That's a lot of refrigerators. I don't think I've ever built more than, oh, 10 in one colony, tops. My current colony has 6, and my food storage is some 1.6 million kcals. That's 20 days supply for 80 Dupes (I've only got about 25).

I think the only thing that's stressed my food storage is lettuce, which is bulky and goes bad quickly. So I make an effort to turn it into mushroom wraps or frost burgers.

If you're arguing that the power requirement is unbalanced, I'd say you're building far more than you need.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xuhybrid    259

Simply changing it to 60w would help a lot in making them more attractive.

7 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

That's a lot of refrigerators. I don't think I've ever built more than, oh, 10 in one colony, tops. My current colony has 6, and my food storage is some 1.6 million kcals. That's 20 days supply for 80 Dupes (I've only got about 25).

I think the only thing that's stressed my food storage is lettuce, which is bulky and goes bad quickly. So I make an effort to turn it into mushroom wraps or frost burgers.

If you're arguing that the power requirement is unbalanced, I'd say you're building far more than you need.

 

I don't even collect wild lettuce, for that very reason.

Edited by Xuhybrid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KittenIsAGeek    1,151

IDK.. mebbe the Dupes only make old inefficient refrigerators like the one sitting in my kitchen.. that runs 24/7 making all kinds of klunky noises and sometimes eats my leftov.. uh..   hang on. I think my fridge isn't inefficient, I think its cursed.  Anyone know a good exorcist I can hire?

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now