Non-exploit 100% up time SPOM

A year ago I posted on reddit a SPOM build that was 100% up-time.
I was curious if it still works so I checked and here is the SPOM build:

8906C39757D68B9E93DB8B6D217983CF2BBDB2B2

47D7396CFAC81339C15AD4104E788C9EAF18DDFF

As you can see electrolyzer was 100% up during 10 cycles.

Hydrogen atmo sensor set to above 300g
Oxygen atmo sensor set to above 350g
Oxygen exits at ~14C. Aluminium used for radiant pipes.
During that 10 cycles of test time I managed to store 235kg of excess Hydrogen.

In various places I saw people posting about struggling to build a working SPOM design so I hope this will help those.

Here's another variation that was built in survival with the idea to be easily maintainable by dupes (in the event of a problem).  Note that should dupes work on it without suits, some CO2 will get into the oxygen supply when the dupes breathe.  

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.77e5282955e1ce0a0fd57d0bdb46da9b.png

All atmo sensors connected to gas pumps set to 'above 800.'  Remaining atmo sensor is used as control switch for electrolyzers. Currently set to 'above 0.'

The large battery and the transformer aren't necessary for operation.  The gas reservoir near the hydrogen generator is over-kill as it feeds only the generator that runs the electrolyzers.  The other reservoir feeds another hydrogen generator that is currently powering my base.

Note: This build is in Rime, so using the heat to warm my base, thus no cooling.

Why did you setup it though that overflow would vent into base? just set it up to forcefully burn hydrogen. I feel like more automation can make it more power efficient. The way I do it is by connecting hydrogen generator to OR logic element that takes input from gas overflow and the battery. Which makes it work when you either need power or have too much hydrogen. Though, I guess, with 100% uptime, you need 2nd generator for burning the excess... Well, it is not the most relevant part of the build, but I feel like its a loose end in your build.

There is no base there ;)

It is just a blueprint of the proof of concept. Anyone can feel free to utilize the excess hydrogen as they wish. I placed the emergency vent there in case I want to perform longer testing. It would prevent hydrogen overflowing the reservoirs so the whole system is not blocked.

22 hours ago, Steve Raptor said:

Well, since we are sharing our SPOMs:

Here is mine:

Hide contents

SPOM.thumb.jpg.5de3baa791f70686babdffb7ee77d352.jpg

I prefer to use the excess hydrogen to power my base.

Later on I add a power control station and tune up the hydrogen generator.

Steve

Could you share the power and automation grid of your design?

One thing I appreciate about @Angpaur's build at the top of this thread is that it is, as the title advertised, capable of handling the electrolyzer's full output. The other builds in this thread seem to have lost this point, since they all have less than 2 gas pumps per electrolyzer, and thus are incapable of keeping up with the 1000 g/s total output of an electrolyzer.

The counterargument, I suppose, is that it doesn't matter. Electrolyzers aren't big or expensive, and the real bottleneck is the gas pumps, and possibly any filtration system you may be using.

Possibly the real measure of an electrolyzer setup is its total output in cold O2 per tile used. Some of these setups are pretty big for the amount of O2 they produce.

4 minutes ago, kyngston said:

Generates 1776gs of O2

On the gif you provided it looks like electrolyzer overpressurizes so I doubt it can produce 1776g/s

Have you looked into daily reports to see how much O2 your electrolyzer produced during previous cycle?

3 minutes ago, des06des said:

I like this build kingston, probably i’m going with your setup on my next game.

Beware I'm still trying to refine it.   There's a bug where on occasion a small bit of hydrogen can sneak down into the O2 pumps and block one of the pumps.   I think it's a random interaction between the 2 electrolyzers, since I've never seen this happen with one.   I'm going to try placing the hydrogen pump between the 2 electrolyzers to see if that reduces their interaction.  

12 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

One thing I appreciate about @Angpaur's build at the top of this thread is that it is, as the title advertised, capable of handling the electrolyzer's full output. The other builds in this thread seem to have lost this point, since they all have less than 2 gas pumps per electrolyzer, and thus are incapable of keeping up with the 1000 g/s total output of an electrolyzer.

The counterargument, I suppose, is that it doesn't matter. Electrolyzers aren't big or expensive, and the real bottleneck is the gas pumps, and possibly any filtration system you may be using.

Possibly the real measure of an electrolyzer setup is its total output in cold O2 per tile used. Some of these setups are pretty big for the amount of O2 they produce.

why though?  For my design, the idea is to have 1000 g/s of o2 in the pipe so you want excess electros.  Electros are not the limiting factor, the gas pipe capacity is.  So I would rather gave 100% up time of oxygen vs the electros

6 minutes ago, Angpaur said:

On the gif you provided it looks like electrolyzer overpressurizes so I doubt it can produce 1776g/s

Have you looked into daily reports to see how much O2 your electrolyzer produced during previous cycle?

I'll go check the stats.  It will overpressure slightly, in that I'm using a mechanical pipe filter to separate the O2 and hydrogen, so the 1g of hydrogen in the loop will limit my 4 pumps to 1999g/s of the 2000g/s being output by the electrolyzers.

How can you tell from the gif that it is overpresssurizing?

4 minutes ago, kyngston said:

How can you tell from the gif that it is overpresssurizing?

Because when water level in that "bubble thing" drops to bottom it means electrolyzer is overpressurized.

In 100% uptime build the water level doesn't drop at all.

1 minute ago, Angpaur said:

Because when water level in that "bubble" drops to bottom it means electrolyzer is overpressurized.

OK, I'll go check the stats.   if you look at the O2 pipes coming out the bottom, it looks approximately like 3.5 bubbles out of every 4.  So if it's not exactly 1776g/s, it should be close.

16 hours ago, Angpaur said:

Yes, you can fertilize from below. That is why there is an autosweeper placed in vacuumed room in order to limit heat transfers to wheezeworts chamber.

But the part that deceptive about using wheezeworts, is that in order to get 100% uptime,  you also need a drecko farm, auto-sweepers, conveyor rails, conveyor loaders and dup labor to maintain the farm, all of which are not included in the picture. What's in the picture is just part of the solution.  And once you include dup labor, is it still technically self-powered?

17 minutes ago, kyngston said:

And once you include dup labor, is it still technically self-powered?

You can just mine the phosphorite. 16t will be enough for 1000 cycles. And usually on maps there is much more than 16t.

Or you can use totally different way to cool down o2. I, for example, in my bases don't cool the O2 at all. Hot O2 goes to exosuits, which is quite harmless and also is vented directly to base. My bases are water cooled so venting hot O2 will not affect temperature.

I used wheezworts so this build can resamble the original SPOM build. I know many people for some reason really like the SPOM build. I used it only in my first base and then I started to create my own electrolyzer builds. Frankly speaking I'm not fan of original SPOM build due to its waste of cooling power, untunable generator and not enough for me up-time.

I guess I'll post one of mine too. This is from my last colony, on aridia so heat was very much an issue. The water geyser + tank on the right supply it with water, and just above the screenshot are 3 hydrogen generators. These aren't actually running though, as they and the Hydrogen storage are used as 2ndary backup. Primary power is Shine bug Solar power ( 2KW ), coal ( 3KW, I currently have in excess of 190T of coal lieing around ), NG(3KW, 2 NG geysers, 2 oil wells and 1 oil refinery, in excess of 8000kg of gas in storage ) and finally Hydrogen ( 2400W, also >5000kg in storage )

20190910160447_1.jpg

1 hour ago, Gus Smedstad said:

Thanks.

I have nothing against people posting their builds here, but still it would be nice if the builds were also 100% up time so it fits more to the topic.

I'm fully aware that it doesn't really matter if you use one electrolyzer that is 100% up time or 2 that are 50%. Seems like I'm one of those min-max people so that is why I prefer one electrolyzer at 100% performance.

1 hour ago, Angpaur said:

You can just mine the phosphorite. 16t will be enough for 1000 cycles. And usually on maps there is much more than 16t.

I'm just saying that leaving out the phosphorus collection/delivery system means you're only showing part of the solution.  Like if I had a liquid cooled SPOM but left off the turbine saying "pipe cold PO2 in here".   I tried to include the everything I need in my build.  The water source can come straight from a cool steam geyser, so it will run forever.  The downside is that it is much more complicated and takes more materials to build.

1 hour ago, kyngston said:

I'm just saying that leaving out the phosphorus collection/delivery system means you're only showing part of the solution.

I think most of the people here will be able to figure out how to build such trivial things like delivery.

Really important part that I wanted to show was pumps and sensors layout, because electrolyzer performance depends on that. All the other things people can build whatever they like. I never just show builds and expect others to copy it 100%. Rather I want to point into some direction.

Archived