mathmanican

ONIversity: Hydrodynamics - A Complete Description of Horizontal Flow For a Single Layer of Liquid Over a Solid

Lifegrow    1,526

Excellent work as ever @mathmanican - will have a play in debug when I get the time. Now rest my child, rest your weary head. Dream of correctly flowing rivers and seas where the tides shan't be blocked by 10 grams of exhalation...

• Haha 2

mathmanican    2,320
26 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Now rest my child, rest your weary head.

But this is just part 1. ;) Yesterday I finally cracked high pressure (like 99999kg) expansion... It's definitely "janky", but completely predictable (and slightly right flowing rather than left...).

28 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Dream of correctly flowing rivers and seas where the tides shan't be blocked by 10 grams of exhalation...

But these ONI dreams are so much fun (...takes a boat to get to neighbors on the right, turns around and sails left around the whole world to get there...). 

I also figured out how to create waterfalls without the extra blob of a different liquid, from either side, capture them mid air to avoid splashes, etc.  I'm hoping today to get them to swap liquid type without breaking. so we can sync them up to the disco machine (but I'm not sure this one will work). Wouldn't it be fun to have your waterfalls change color every 10 seconds. :) This is my fun side project between writing up my deep dive into liquids....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BLACKBERREST3    233

And here I was doing my own tests on viscosity of liquids. This saves me sooooooo much time and effort. 3 cheers for mathmanican!

Spoiler

Start.thumb.png.5dafde9d44b7742081c1cf847619e1b8.png

I was noticing a pattern that liquid was flowing to the left with a predictable amount if over the predefined mass for a single tile of liquid, but I could never figure out the exact equation. Here are the results of my tests. Sometimes weird mechanics would happen and I might just blame that on debug if anything (sublimation). The numbers here are min and max thresholds of one tiles worth of liquid.

Spoiler

30-40g - Bead forms > 10g
Water
Polluted Water
Salt Water
Brine
Ethanol
Super Coolant
Carbon
Carbon Dioxide
Hydrogen
Oxygen
Chlorine
Methane
Propane
Helium
Mercury

300-400g - Rounding Error between 320-330g
Crude Oil
Petroleum
Salt
Sulfer

6-8kg
Phosphorus

30-40kg
Naptha

60-80kg
Steel
Niobium
Copper
Tungsten

75-100kg
Lead
Gold

90-120kg
Aluminum
Iron

100kg
Viscogel

150-200kg
Glass
Magma

Sublimation
Chlorine
Methane
Helium

300 + 120 - 400 = 20*.25 = 5 on ground then 20*.75 = 15

(liquid amount + added amount - cap)*.75=on tile
(liquid amount + added amount - cap)*.25=on floor

Here is something fun I created out of stacks of 10g at around 75C from oil, coolant, naptha, petrol, ethanol, sulfur, brine, salt, pw, water, and visco gel in that order.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4660b5f8ed4afaa7bc3de4a2adec9e7a.png

Edited by BLACKBERREST3
  • Like 1

mathmanican    2,320
20 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

And here I was doing my own tests on viscosity of liquids.

I've got at least 2 more posts in this series. One on single high pressure beads (tons of extermely interesting mechanics - found the missing link last night), another on multi-layer flow (still have to completely figure this one out). Then I'll move on to gas flow (aerodynamics), and then fluid interactions....  Or I might sleep. :) 

• Thanks 2

mathmanican    2,320
12 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

We're in no rush to figure things out though,

Ah, but I'm in a rush. Vacation time ends this week, and busy work starts... :) 

• Haha 1