Woodie Character Update Next Week + News!

I'm at that half and half thing again.

Half of me thinks that Lucy is going to be super talkative and important because surprise, haha, you thought we forgot!
The writer half of me says that this would be the perfect narrative point for Lucy to cease to speak because Woodie has actual people to talk to, was crazy all along due to being alone in the woods, and she was never alive in the first place and it would just be Genny watching the factory burn all over again and there would be so many delicious tears and
I want some of that s i p p

I'm very interested in how this is going to turn out. I really wanna know how each of the forms feels and works. Also there might be a possibility that we can just chop forever now as Woodie with little interruption (except the +50% living log shipment frequency). I guess Beaver is going to be the harvester form since the two new listed ones are locomotion and fighter? Or is Beaver an all-round versatile form? I honestly don't mind not being able to plant cones as Woodie; it was very helpful whenever I started the game. But, it wasn't a mechanic that I kept using as I became more experienced. I took the additional sanity drain as an opportunity to farm nightmare fuel. I think this whole update is gonna be amazing, but I would like to take a look at the stats of each mechanic. I guess we'll just have to impatiently wait to take a look! Also more ROT is always welcome.

I'm not sure that my comment will affect anything, but I think it’s worth leaving the concept of “Beaver the Lumberjack” to Woody and leaving the opportunity to eat a tree and get reason when planting cones. And I hope that its forms will be close to the topic of beavers.

2 minutes ago, Well-met said:

Sadly the werecombat confirms wilba is never getting in DST, as it'll likely make her redundant.

It does not, it is still possible for her to come to DST and have some change to her, making her quite usefull.

Ok, so woodie has three possible forms and specializations, all with night vision and weather resistance, all selectable and using one of the most common foods in-game, all with the only forseeable downside being lack of inventory and structures? meaning he can rush the ruins with the locomotion/combat form early as h*ck?
...nerf woodie lul

Jokes aside, the lack of a big downside somewhat worries me, since the Were forms feel like an option, rather than a curse.

When I think about it, salty dogs could also be the name of a food item. Like salty sticks. But I don't think that is the case.

6 minutes ago, Well-met said:

AFAIK her entire gimmick is the curse, is it not?

5 minutes ago, Canis said:

And having pigs be loyal to her... I guess?

Loyal werepigs when feeding them?(While being in were form)

Some players : We want a damn beaver good at combat !

Some other players : No, we want a damn beaver good at choping !

Some other players : No, we want to get rid of that annoying Woodie weremeter.

KLEI : HOLD MY MAPLE SIRUP!

They literally took what we wanted and put them all at once, but in separated transforms so it's not OP and require some management and switching. Can't wait.

About the drawbacks mentioned in a few posts, just from reading Joe's description, he does seem to have drawbacks, I'm not sure how much impact they will have in reality, but they are there:

17 hours ago, JoeW said:

Reduced Woodie’s sanity drain while in were-form.

Reduced is not the same as removed, currently if I recall correctly he drains about 90/min, if it was super reduced to let's say 20/min, it still means that you will go insane if you make use of the were-forms for a bit, which also means that whatever you are doing will be interrupted by shadow creatures. I know being insane is not considered a bad thing per-se, but it can get old after a while, so it could be seen as a con.

Also the Werebeaver can't interact with objects, move through wormholes or caves, open maps, etc, meaning that he will probably retain that general con he already has, from being a monster.  Currently the beaver has no way to get some lasting sanity unless he becomes Woodie again, (you can briefly become sane killing shadows, but you will be insane again in just a few seconds).

17 hours ago, JoeW said:

Woodie has a 50% higher chance to spawn Treeguards.

This will probably mean that Woodie, in any form or shape, will be interrupted by treeguards more often than to other characters. Between this, and the shadow creatures, he could be a haunted character.

17 hours ago, JoeW said:

Performing specific actions will extend Woodie’s time in each were-form.

I'm not sure how this will work, but at first glance it seems that retaining the transformations could be a bit harder than how the Werebeaver currently works which is nearly doing nothing: nibbling something slightly, every once and then

58 minutes ago, Bleksmits said:

so it will be like ds log meter need to wait till were meter goes out and only then you become human? I need him fast human in full moons on surface because of things like moon stone event. living logs wont turn him back?

Couldn't you transform before the night begins and transform back during the night?

As a Woodie main I'm happy that he's better now, I'm okay with the 3 new forms but, where are the downsides? I mean, 50% higher chance of TreeGuards spawning is more of an upside, you know?

I never thought that I would say it, but, Woodie needs a nerf. (God, the times have changed)

Being able to choose when to transform is counter-intuitive as a curse, it's no longer a curse, it's an ability, I particularly don't buy it as a good mechanic, I like the 3 forms, though, I just wish they were curses, you know?

Monster meat came out of nowhere, makes no sense to me, it's similar to Wilba, but why does it have to be similar? 

The idols could be made with living logs, making his TreeGuards perk more relevant and synergetic. It would force you to be a lumberjack in the first few days and farm living logs to transform, it would change Woodie's currency from logs to living logs!

I understand why eating wood was removed, but I'll miss it. However I don't understand why the small pinecone buff was removed.

I'm happy that Woodie is better than Maxwell at chopping trees, made my day. But, to many upsides and no downside worries me, seriously.

Klei, please, do something about this.

Edit: I just noticed that Lucy has lost 50% of her quotes since log meter was removed, and there were no changes to her. Glass axe is still a slightly better. 

The more I think about it, the less this feels like Woodie, I'm open to changes but they have to be consistent with the character. Woodie not looking like Woodie breaks my heart.

17 minutes ago, Gabriel_Dreyer said:

As a Woodie main I'm happy that he's better now, I'm okay with the 3 new forms but, where are the downsides? I mean, 50% higher chance of TreeGuards spawning is more of an upside, you know?

His downside is the forced transformation during full moon and sanity drain in were-form. Not to mention you can no longer instantly transform back to human form by eating logs. Also, at least half of the players would disagree that more Treeguards is an upside.

I never thought that I would say it, but, Woodie needs a nerf.

However I don't understand why the small pinecone buff was removed.

You want to nerf him but at the same time you want to buff him again?

Being able to choose when to transform is counter-intuitive as a curse, it's no longer a curse, it's an ability, I particularly don't buy it as a good mechanic, I like the 3 forms, though, I just wish they were curses, you know?

The curse is only during full moon. There's no difference from current Woodie if you constantly ate logs (which made him a terrible logs gatherer).

Monster meat came out of nowhere, makes no sense to me, it's similar to Wilba, but why does it have to be similar? 

They're treating the curse the same as the Werepigs's curse, just different animals. Also because there is no Wilba in DST.

Archived