Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

JoeW

Woodie Character Update Next Week + News!

InvaderTee    16

Oh no PLEASE let Woodie keep gaining sanity via planting trees. It makes so much sense for his character and it was one of the special things that set him apart from the other characters within the game!

Seero    788
19 minutes ago, JoeW said:
  • Woodie has a 50% higher chance to spawn Treeguards.
  •  

klei thinking this is a downside while i'm about to put farm my 64 dark swords

Canis    9,515

Wait, so, Woodie has multiple were-forms, Ie he is afflicted with multiple "-thropy" curses. Huh.

The fact that we know nothing about these new forms beside from "meant for combat and locomotion" doesn't give us much room to give our initial thoughts.

This is what I grabbed from this:

Monster meat is now an integral part of Woodie's playstyle, whether eating monster meat, or making those idols. (Does Woodie take reduced damage from monster meat?)

The fact that Woodie no longer needs to eat wood, and that the Werebeaver no longer triggers when chopping trees, means that Woodie is now properly placed in the #1 spot for chopping, as before he had to stop and eat the very logs he's trying to gather, which actually made him slightly WORSE than a normal character at collecting logs.

The higher chance to spawn treeguards is great, although it will most likely get annoying during late game, as Woodie chops so much faster than anyone else, hence giving treeguards an EVEN HIGHER chance to spawn. But, living logs are living logs, and if you can't kite git gud.

The were-meter now works like Singleplayer, having Woodie revert to human form at 0. THIS IS THE BEST POSSIBLE THING YOU COULD DO TO THE WEREBEAVER. Now, the Werebeaver can efficiently work without the risk of turning back into a human, in other words, now you can play the Werebeaver as it was meant to be played.

Im really intrigued about the combat transformation's mechanics. Is it simply a 80% resistance 50~ damage thing, or is it more complex?

As for the locomotion transformation, swim ability or riot. Also, does locomotion mean something like drastically increased movement speed? If so, then Woodie suddenly became the top pick for day 1 worlds, in case of "how fast you want to scout the island."

All in all, Im super hyped about this update, even though a part of me is bummed that the Werebeaver isn't so unique anymore. It also strikes me as a bit odd that Woodie has multiple transformations. However, everything that we *do* know sounds absolutely great on paper. However, I'm noticing a lack of an actual downside, which is worrying.

TheKingDedede    3,044
25 minutes ago, JoeW said:

In addition to Werebeaver, Woodie now has two new transformations that specialize in different things, such as combat and locomotion.

You're going to love this. This is my first state.

This is my first form, the Werebeaver. And this is known as a Werebeaver that has surpassed the Werebeaver form.

And this...is to go...EVEN FURTHER BEYOND!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Spoiler

Mario384    1,082

As long as the sanity drain was reduced enough so where killing something like a Terrorbeak buys you some time being sane, I'll be pleased with this.  This concept seems pretty good so far, but I guess we'll see how it plays out.

31 minutes ago, JoeW said:

In addition to Werebeaver, Woodie now has two new transformations that specialize in different things, such as combat and locomotion.

... Why?

Well I'm not opposed, guess i will need to see the actual performance, but this seems like overwork.
I'm sad there's no swimming but I wasn't expecting that from the very beginning. Lucy is still also irrelevant i guess.

31 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Woodie no longer gains sanity when planting trees.

We will miss you, "The only good DST Woodie feature", rest in peace.
All of this is kind of vague, really, so I will put my hope on Klei and expect the best. 

1 minute ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Mhm, I wonder if gnawing things extends the Werebeaver's Were-Meter

This is so good, this combined with Warly's sugar stuff is making Woodie so much more viable versus Maxwell. Even now, when he could technically considered outclassed by Maxwell mid-late game, his Treeguard perk makes him more useful in that sense. Not only does it still provide some sort of incentive to not completely deforest earlygame, but it also gives him a reason to be the one to chop for those Living Logs.

I'm never touching Birchnut Trees again, though. Clearing those forests is no longer my problem. Bye.

Griver84    213

Funny enough, my chat was asking me if I knew anything about when the woodie update was coming or the next update was dropping. 

Told them my guess was next week (and it was a complete random guess). Glad to see more stuff incoming! So hyped! :)

Auth    9,591
21 minutes ago, JoeW said:

• Reduced Woodie’s sanity drain while in were-form.
  • Woodie has a 50% higher chance to spawn Treeguards.

Why not make the sanity drain different across the different transformations? Beaver himself is already pretty limited outside of his singular task, still keeping the sanity punishment makes it feel like you don't want people to play as the poor beaver, yknow, ever.

50% more treeguards... Yikes. Can't let the man have a simple "just chop trees uninterrupted" playstyle? If you're chopping trees, and a treeguard spawns, it eats up time to either kill or pacify it. Someone built around being an efficient wood cutter should ideally have less potential time sinks than the average Joe doing the same task, right? And I usually end up swimming in living logs, so this is just robbing more trees from me and giving me noisy fuel instead. I feel like a better downside could be considered.

WolfYlch    99

Dang this is going to take out all the fun of playing with Woodie... I personally liked him eating wood and having the log meter. But everything else seems superbly interesting!

Canis    9,515
1 minute ago, Auth said:

Why not make the sanity drain different across the different transformations? Beaver himself is already pretty limited outside of his singular task, still keeping the sanity punishment makes it feel like you don't want people to play as the poor beaver, yknow, ever.

50% more treeguards... Yikes. Can't let the man have a simple "just chop trees uninterrupted" playstyle? If you're chopping trees, and a treeguard spawns, it eats up time to either kill or pacify it. Someone built around being an efficient wood cutter should ideally have less potential time sinks than the average Joe doing the same task, right? And I usually end up swimming in living logs, so this is just robbing more trees from me and giving me noisy fuel instead. I feel like a better downside could be considered.

While yes, Im hoping for a better downside, the 50% increased treeguard spawn rate isn't really that bad. Living logs are vital mid-to-end game materials that you can never have too much of.

Think of it this way:
Woodie specializes in both log collecting, and LIVING log collecting.

JJ0264    125

1.Were-Beaver

2.Were-Grizzy

3.Were-Wolverine

i'm just guessing as all 3 are native to Canada

Canis    9,515
4 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

1.Were-Beaver

2.Were-Grizzy

3.Were-Wolverine

Okay, if Im able to turn into a GOD DAMN GRIZZLY BEAR, all previous doubts I had about multiple transformations will be thrown out the window.

Also, I heard of a possible idea in the discord, that it could be Beaver/Badger/Otter, but meh.

Edit: now that I think of it, I think I will have just as much enjoyment ripping faces off as a badger.

Thalkas    951

I really happy to see Woodie is the next character with rework! But any chance for getting one more mechanic for Woodie? I mean gathering syrup from trees like in Gorge (with bucket) and making tree syrup. First thing what I can associate with Canada are maple trees, maple leaf and maple suryp! Syrup can be super duper for manage with were-meter or as alternative for honey/butter.

Woodie could start with 1-3 tree tapping kits. Syrup could be cooked in crockpot or make in refine tab as Woodie-exclusive item.

CarlZalph    3,170
2 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

1.Were-Beaver

2.Were-Grizzy

3.Were-Wolverine

The bear should have a 6-pack.

bear_2x.png.2d21c7f0e5aedf9113b5f15d3282f0bf.png

maradyne    4,927
Just now, Canis said:

Also, I heard of a possible idea in the discord, that it could be Beaver/Badger/Otter, but meh.

Woodie having all the animal powers of the Canadian Wilds sounds amazing.

I CALL UPON THE SPIRIT OF THE BADGER
EAT THEIR FACE

JJ0264    125
3 minutes ago, engiSonic said:

Prediction: The locomotion were-form will be able to swim, and it'll be a were-platypus.

It's..IT'S A WERE-Goose!!!?!?!

Neutral_Steve    838

I have mixed feelings about this, the wood eating stuff is what makes Woodie special for me, however, this could be the start of something way better, I'm kinda hopeful.

minespatch    61,985
7 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

3.Were-Wolverine

portrait-of-wolverine-captive-summer-canMy favorite X-man.:wilson_sneaky:

3 minutes ago, maradyne said:

Werebeaver hype.

allthehype.gif.3ec2ca2f20c11f1de6f0ddee81653897.gif