[Game Update] - 364722

11 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Resource screen is now vertically collapsible and scrollable.

Collapsible is great for when working on the right side of the map.  Forced scrollable is terrible.  I now can't see everything I want to monitor at the same time even on a 4k resolution.

• Like 10

Well I suppose this gives me a good reason to avoid the game for a bit. Fatigue was starting to set in anyways, so spending some time waiting for mod updates and bug fixes should help me to come back rejuvenated and ready to colonize.

I see only good things in this update. Perhaps a few things here and there could be tweaked, such as the new resource menu's size, and the modding system, but I believe Klei is heading in the right direction. Just keep calm and wait patiently while they sort out whatever messes I'm sure they have more firsthand experience with than we can imagine. I'm incredibly thankful that this game has such a committed team behind it, and ones that are so willing to receive feedback from the playerbase. :wilson_blush:

1 hour ago, Kunamashina said:

Pretty self explanatory, I've just set it up last only to find out after the update it stopped working no matter how much they are submerged into salt water... This is game breaking for me atm and do not want to play until this is fixed

Same here.

Help @JarrettM my lactose intolerant colony is staving short of lettuces not growing (wild or domestic)!

Looks like the waterweed is believing itself to be in nearby air instead of the water it's under. It might grow with a row of solid tiles right above...although then dupes won't be able to access it.
I think it's clear at this point ONI has a bit of spaghetti code going on, between this and the insanity of tiles and ladders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

Looks like the waterweed is believing itself to be in nearby air instead of the water it's under. It might grow with a row of solid tiles right above...although then dupes won't be able to access it.

... and also sadely you cannot build a tile above the waterweed :(

image.png.1b8112e57b56ea69aaa68b3def9ee915.png

I'll echo couple of points:

• The new resource list is a major downgrade for me. I'm playing on 2560x1600 and could see WAY more than I can now.
  • As much as I like extra graphical indication of automation signals, it's too "glow'y" for my taste.

The frequency at which these QoL updates come out (very slow), the bugs they introduce and lack of performance upgrades is VERY concerning. It seems that the brief period that devs communicated with us is over and we're back to page upon page of "pending" bug reports. If they're being read then I can't see how pushing a button to change status (to "known" or just "seen") is THAT much effort. Right now it looks like devs don't even bother reading them.

• Like 14
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

As much as I like extra graphical indication of automation signals, it's too "glow'y" for my taste.

Have to agree here.  It's a really nice addition that I want to stick around, but it needs further iteration.  The appearance doesn't really fit with the art aesthetic, and honestly just kinda sticks out.

14 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Schedule Screen now displays which time blocks are Morning and which are Night, for Early Bird/Night Owl scheduling. Duplicants with the Night Owl or Early Bird traits are labeled as such on the Schedule screen. 

This and a lot of the other updates are pure bliss! I love that Klei are at the point of tidying up a lot of these loose ends. 

As for performance optimisations they mentioned somewhere in the previous update post that they’re working on it. If I know Klei the way I think I know Klei then I think I know they’ll do their darndest to squeeze every last bit of juice out of this puppy. It might not be enough puppy juice for everyone but it’ll be something. Either way they have said it’s important to them. 

• Like 2

As @Muggins wrote:

* I do love the new UI, the automation is way more obvious (for me)

* the ressources tab is now more managable, and let some space if needed. Sorry for the geant screens users, they deserve an option to opt out (should you not use the user interface magnification?), but on a regular screen (1980*1680) it's very neat.

* the electrical update: waooo. OK you may not spot the unconnected lines right away, but the additions are very welcome.

If happy ONI players post 1/10th of grumpy one, this should be said ;)

Edited by Argelle

@JarrettM @Ipsquiggle

EDIT: My sicere apologies, I behaved immaturely and went on blaming you and the patch instead of trying to fix the absurdly weird error I was having. It was somehow a steam update error, which was fixed with re-validating the installation.

Thanks for the changes, a lot of good stuff. Sorry again!

Edited by suxkar

You had this great system of releasing pre-releases on an opt-in basis, to make the main early access release more solid.

So wth do you cold release after the product is fully released?

This patch should never have been added to a released product, it's broken and ruin's games.

• Like 4

1. Every time you try to open a schedule - crash:(

2. When you try to configure the clock sensor - same crash

3. Duplicates stop mixing compost heaps if contaminated land is loaded into them with an automatic manipulator. It makes very much problems

2019-09-05_15-01-42.jpg

Edited by aresd

10 hours ago, nakomaru said:

I'm talking about performance.

The search for several tiles is a simple flood fill algorithm. You start at a point and move outward.

In this case you can stop the second you find the condition you want, so you don't even necessarily have extra computation time anyways.

Originally, this was n=1 for 5 checks (the tile and the 4 surrounding tiles)

Now it is n=5 for 41 checks (this accounts for the growth of the detection diamond, 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9 + 7 + 5 + 3 + 1)

As we can see, at this scale, it is roughly n^2 in complexity, but for small n it is negligible. After all, a thread on your computer will likely process several hundred million of these checks every second.

Furthermore, because we can stop once we have found the conditions we want, likely we aren't doing any more checks than we used to in most cases. Add this to the fact that plants generally don't update every tick, but maybe once a second or longer, and this is not a frequent change.

One thing that is likely to be affecting long computation times is path-finding for long paths. This includes dupes, and unrestricted critters, i.e. critters who aren't confined to a small space. This generally comes about digging out huge rooms, and just letting everything fall. Now any dupe trying to path through this area likely has many possible routes to choose from and has to figure out the best one, and critters from that area have a larger space to wander.

Another thing that might be affecting long computation times is job priority sorting. The more jobs your dupes have, the more things they need to sort to decide what next to do. Good sorting algorithms are n*log(n) in complexity, which is better than n^2, but for larger n, this can become cumbersome. When your dupes have 32,000 hauling tasks from you digging out an entire area, it takes quite a few processor cycles for them to sort out their priorities upon getting a new task. Even if they keep a sorted list per dupe, adding a new item is at best n*log(n) time to integrate with some sorting algorithms, though this could be brought down to log(n)*m complexity with m being the number of dupes. In most cases here though, m would be small, and n would be the driving factor. This would be done by implementing priority as a skiplist, which has a log(n) search time, and 1 insertion time. From the way priorities are presented, I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't already done though.

Ultimately though, the devs are the ones who can tell what areas they need to optimize, as they can implement profilers to report back to them how much time is spent on things. Many of the things I mention above are things that can be run concurrently as well, as the path one dupe takes is independent of the paths other dupes take, and same for priority lists. Even the plants can be done each in their own thread that updates at a set frequency. With a thread manager to handle these threads, you can easily utilize more cores than currently the game uses (seems to be close to 4.5 cores) and improve the performance.

The problem though lies in doing this, while ensuring that concurrency data problems do not occur. I.e. 2 dupes both sort their priorities and then select for the same task. This can be solved in other ways though which I won't go into.

In short, you are right that this would cause more processing to be done, but the amount of processing done by this compared to how much is already done is tiny. It's a flea on a giant. There are bigger fish for them to fry than to deny such a small request that fixes other problems.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, blackbellamy said:

All my new plants show BLOCKED, except that they are giving the bonus.  My existing plants do not show the icon, only plants I have placed in the pots since the update:

WTfPtII.jpg

My plants do the same, and do not give me the decor bonus. This is detrimental. Please hotfix Klei

I like the new red/green change for sensors, but as someone suggested, maybe they could be a few shades less neon. On the build menu they stand out like a sore thumb and it drags my eyes away from the rest of the buildings (much like the new tech discovered icon) 

• Like 1

FYI, my dupes are now auto-wrangling Shine Bugs and variants. Is that intended? There's always been the option for bugs in the critter drop off, which would imply they can be captured and wrangled, but I've never known how to do that before because they've never had a wrangle action button. The wiki says they're not wrangleable, and in my recent play I don't know if I've seen auto-wrangling ever happen until today. But it's interesting that there's art for it.

wrangled-royal-bug.png

Schedule menu is completely wrecked for me since this update. 3 schedules are missing (I had 8, I've only 5), and since I open the schedule menu, a pop-up showing "an error occured, please restart the game" is showed. I cannot add any new schedule.

EDIT : I've been messaged by Klei. Indeed my issue was a hard-coded & client-sided bug. Going to be solved next hotfix (I believe & hope soon :) ).

Edited by OxCD

1 hour ago, Roachy1 said:

FYI, my dupes are now auto-wrangling Shine Bugs and variants. Is that intended? There's always been the option for bugs in the critter drop off, which would imply they can be captured and wrangled, but I've never known how to do that before because they've never had a wrangle action button. The wiki says they're not wrangleable, and in my recent play I don't know if I've seen auto-wrangling ever happen until today. But it's interesting that there's art for it.

wrangled-royal-bug.png

They aren't manually, directly wranglable, but they were already doing that since a good while ago with the critter drop-off if they were exceeding the limit of a room. Only needs a surplus from a room and a valid drop-off destination

Edited by Babawze
forgot quote
  • Like 1