[Game Update] - 364722

3 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

Probably because of this:

The way mods themselves are handled has changed, so all mods, whether they use the new things or not, need to be updated to a current version.  Even if nothing actually changes to the mod itself.

To further this, sometimes a mod, or the way mods are loaded, is designed to disable itself as a safety measure if what it's interfacing with isn't a known compatible version.

To not get mods not working on every update, you need to reach a point where what mods interface usually doesn't change on updates. That requires abstraction and things being relatively finished.
ONI will get there in time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

@JarrettM @Ipsquiggle

Was the save I sent you ever looked at?

I see another update with more bandaid fixes and tweaks to previous bugs, but no real mention of performance fixes.

Is it possible we can get some sort of insight into when we'll get some real performance fixes. 

As someone who is interacting with potential new players on a daily basis - it's very hard for me to answer the question "Should I buy this game?" when the base they're watching is running like stuttery laggy crap. I speak only for myself but at this point I couldn't give a toss about wiring changes, nor any additional content. Fix the game in it's current state or your player base simply won't be here for any future DLC you have planned.

Completely agree here,

I simply can't force myself to play past cycles 1k+ because the loading times become insane and the "pause and scroll" eventually gets on the nervs.

Something feels wrong when I feel I can't create more then 20 dupes or build new stuff because the game simply can't handle it anymore.

Its a shame really, because the motivation is there, I want to tame gassy moos and farm them, I want to expand my rocket base , work with designs involving rare materials and explore deep space  and I do want to unlock more lore in the later cycles (up to 4000 cycles) but I just can't due to the horrible performance of the late game, it ruins all the motivation to keep going.

In my first colony on launch I got 20 dupes just for the achievement really, I will never repeat this again at this state.

Edited by Steve Raptor
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Power changes

• Heavi-Watt Conductive Wire now has a Max Wattage of 50kW (bumped up from 20kW)

This is a big deal. Not only does it make Heavi-Watt Conductive a proper upgrade now, it pushes back the > 20kw distribution problem back far enough that most if not all colonies won't need difficult work-arounds anymore. I think my last late-game colony peaked at around 35 kw. No doubt some players will still end up creating mega-colonies that exceed 50kw, but 20kw was a limit you typically encountered when you hit space with 20-ish Dupes.

I just recently hit the 20kw limit in my most recent colony, and re-discovered the sort of headaches you encounter even if you start inserting switching battery setups to dodge it.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, blackbellamy said:

All my new plants show BLOCKED, except that they are giving the bonus.  My existing plants do not show the icon, only plants I have placed in the pots since the update:

WTfPtII.jpg

Same here...

Also, when a duplicant earns a skill point - there is no longer a notification icon on the portal.

Edited by voyager156
to add more stuff

Love this update, always in love with Oni updates. That makes my eyes sparkling. Some great changes into this one, as always.

However, even it seems I appear to be a bit more patient over the lag than some others here, I cannot agree more with Lifegrow. Performance issue IS the worst ONI's nightmare.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

But it should not be the case. For example: One changes the color of lightbulbs, nothing else. Why is the mod broken, because the game updates, while not changing anything related to this? It makes no sense at all. 

That's not what happened with this update so why are you choosing that example. A BUNCH of stuff got changed, if the mod coding in any way relies on the stuff that got changed it's going to break. That's always going to be the reality of modding in games. You can expect to wait after every patch for the mod authors to update their ****. It's not the base game programmer's job to make sure they don't break third party game additions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Support for animation mods

• Mod should supply an 'anim' directory structured like our 'game/Assets/anim' directory. 
    The game will look for a *_anim.bytes, *_build.bytes, and *.pngs for textures. The folder name dictates the animation name. If an existing animation is modded, the one in game is replaced; otherwise a new animation is added.

I have animations in Spriter (which an old version of is bundled with Don't Starve Mod tools, so I assume is what the Devs use / used). How do I convert those to _anim and _build files? I've previously used https://github.com/daviscook477/kparser which does the job, but I can't assume is the intended mod development path.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lifegrow said:

@JarrettM @Ipsquiggle

Was the save I sent you ever looked at?

I see another update with more bandaid fixes and tweaks to previous bugs, but no real mention of performance fixes.

Is it possible we can get some sort of insight into when we'll get some real performance fixes. 

As someone who is interacting with potential new players on a daily basis - it's very hard for me to answer the question "Should I buy this game?" when the base they're watching is running like stuttery laggy crap. I speak only for myself but at this point I couldn't give a toss about wiring changes, nor any additional content. Fix the game in it's current state or your player base simply won't be here for any future DLC you have planned.

I have to agree with this one.     Streamers and youtubers showing off the game with crappy fps and lags   turns off potential new customers and players.   Especially when they're rocking a fast new computer. 

2 minutes ago, nafeasonto said:

I hope they start working on optimizations here, even with a 8700K, the simulation takes a nose dive late game. 22FPS is horrible 

I would kill for 22fps.   Try playing on 8 to 10fps.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As another mentioned, the collapsible resource window is a great idea but it cannot be a fixed size.  You've now restricted me to seeing half of what I could before.  It needs to be resizable.

I do hope the performance issues are being looked at but just because this update doesn't contain any I won't make an assumption that it isn't in the works.

• Like 14

On the mod compatibility issue, might it be worth moving the previous patch to an opt-in 'beta' so people can continue with saves that have incompatible mods in use?  I play a few other games that provide this option and it seems to be a pretty good compromise in mod heavy games.

*edit* also...I just built my first waterweed farm last night before going to bed.... :'(

*second edit* is heavy-watt conductive wire requiring mechatronic engineering intended?

Edited by Chaoticlusts
  • Like 1

I've actually been having an issue for a while where all my mods are disabled when starting, but this update made it so it crashed every time I opened the game.  I pared the list down considerably and it starts now, although I still have to re-check them all every time.

• Like 1

I really really wish there was a way to activate multiple mods at once, instead of clicking each of them one by one each time! Like by click+drag over  or check all between two selected. It gets very tedious once you have over 20 mods...especially when you are looking for the few that don't work with the update. 

• Like 2

I like the optional full collapse but the scrollbar extending down half (and only half) the screen is just weird.

Especially given that the current UI scale / screen size makes the scrollbar completely unnecessary.

8 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Transformer battery no longer instantly depletes when disabled, instead its battery slowly dissipates while disabled.

Does anyone have any numbers on this?

Edited by TLW

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

Hmm, plants and some critters now probably check 5 tiles for atmosphere instead of 1? That sounds less fast. I hope we're not going in the wrong direction.

Aside from the bug with lettuce, I can only see upsides to this. Small, low pressure packets (read: farts) will no longer royally screw up your farms.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nakomaru said:

I'm talking about performance.

I sincerely doubt plants checking for pressure is going to impact anyone's performance. There are far bigger causes for performance hits and Klei is working on them. In the meantime, we continue to get smaller bug fixes every week.

• Like 1