Zarquan

My overengineered petroleum burner

Zarquan    678

image.thumb.png.aaf754d329b3511d7c02e0fd6c5fe2e3.png

This is my petroleum burner built in survival by my dupes with only pre-space materials.  There are others like it, but this one's mine.  It burns crude oil to petroleum at a rate of at least 20 kg/s.  I say at least because I got the 2 liquid vents in and it was good enough, but I left myself open to easily set up a third.  This is completely unnecessarily over engineered and I think its beautiful.  It is vacuum sealed and completely automated.

This machine has 2.5 heat sources:  The metal refinery with the completely reasonable magma coolant, the volcano above, and the igneous rock from the from the volcano.  It outputs plenty of petroleum at around 135 C given 80-120 C crude oil inputs and igneous rock at around 500C, as well as refining my metals for me.  I intend to, at some point, feed the igneous rock heat to a steam turbine for extra cooling and get ~135 C igneous rock.  I consider the igneous rock and the volcano kind of the same source.

The state-changing area below the vents can be connected by doors to three different heat sources.  The one at the bottom left is the magma-cooled (what a silly idea) metal refinery.  The one with the conveyors is the igneous rock from the volcano, and the one above it is the volcano.

It is set up as follows:  If the central room isn't hot enough (around 440 measured by the thermo sensor in a small pool of molten lead), it will connect to at least one of the surrounding heat sources. 

1. The metal refinery heat is used first, but only if the heat sink is above 2000 C (as measured by my steel thermo sensor submerged in molten aluminum).  Because of the 2000 C requirement, I connect that heat source by a less thermally conductive material than the other two to avoid the chamber betting too hot (and ruining my perfect vacuum).
  2. The igneous rock is used second.  It goes in a loop until the thermosensor at the top measures 500C.  At that point, the igneous rock is dumped at the chute at the bottom of the screen.  I intent to use it later, but for the time being, I am leaving it there so the dupes can't bring it back in to the base.
  3. If the igneous rock is ejected, then the volcano's heat is used.  Magma is poured out through the spigot only if the hydro sensor detects no magma AND the thermosensor above (in molten lead) reads below 600C (as well as the other two heat sources being disqualified).  This ensures that the heat source is always adequate to heat the petroleum, but the magma can never remelt any igneous rock that is still there and form a tile.  The spigot door opens for the smallest time I could get to actually have magma pour out.

The boiler plate (under the liquid vents) puts crude oil on the tile.  Any petroleum in the lower tile is displaced and pours out the side.  The crude oil then almost immediately turns in to petroleum and the cycle repeats.  Once the petroleum pours out, it goes in to a counterflow cooling/heating system on the right hand side.  It is made with airflow tiles to ensure that heat does not flow backwards in anyway

The boiler has a safety mechanism on the crude oil boiling plate, where if the pressure ever gets above 750 kg, the crude oil flow will stop immediately (as petroleum doesn't like to be above ~739 kg/tile.

Note that I am still experimenting with this, so it may not be perfect.  It may also blow up in my face.

All the window tiles are diamond

Unfortunately, it is pressed at the edge of the map, so it is hard to get good overlay pictures, but here are a few:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4680b40c81f85a924c00d646ed00af93.png

image.thumb.png.ffce203567f058255c884110279688be.png

image.thumb.png.4fbd2307ac1a0496dcd23cb14c94d6e9.png

image.thumb.png.ba4d49252b0e1b9be258f0d93635b548.png

So far, I haven't been able to see how much of the volcano it uses per second because I didn't have enough crude oil to keep it fed properly.  But I have been feeding it 10 kg/s crude oil for many cycles and the volcano's magma level has not gone down significantly.  I have been continuously running the metal refinery to produce steel.

The burner as is needs a little tuning, as the counterflow pipes can break in certain situations, especially if it isn't receiving 10 kg/s in each of the incoming pipes.

Edited by Zarquan

erso    24

Only in addition: What still works well is this trivial construction. For this, only pre-space materials are needed and it is incredibly insensitive to any fault.

Zarquan    678

My build is also pretty sensitive.  When ever I run out of crude oil to pump in to it, pipes break and my dupes have to run in and fix it.  Now, I make sure that if any crude oil goes in, it is always a 10 kg stack.

As long as you continuously flow 10 kg packets in to the burner, it appears to be stable.  Occasionally, the pies do break with an interrupted flow, but the dupes can fix it as it only happens at the top level.

My build has benefits over the build you have linked.  

1. My build has a counter-flow heat exchanger to both heat the crude oil and cool the petroleum.  This significantly reduces the amount of heat required, as the crude oil enters the system at around 390 C and the petroleum can be pumped out with a steel pump.
  2. My build also doesn't let the igneous rock form tiles, instead making it form debris. 
    1. While doing that, it extracts more heat from the igneous rock through the long heat source. 
    2. The igneous rock can also be used as a heat source for a power generating steam turbine after it is too cold to use for boiling crude oil.
    3. We also get the igneous rock as a resource to use at the end of this process.
  3. My build has a secondary heat source in the metal refinery.  It can still run even if the volcano doesn't produce enough heat, while also conveniently disposing of the heat from the metal refinery.

Zarquan    678
On 9/2/2019 at 6:11 PM, Lifegrow said:

Pics don't seem to work for me bud.

On 9/2/2019 at 6:45 PM, Loscil2 said:

same here

6 hours ago, catsRjerks said:

yup, broken pics, pls fix

I replaced the pictures.

Loscil2    80
11 hours ago, Zarquan said:

I replaced the pictures.

I like how you used an infinite container for that precious petrol. Nice!

Zarquan    678
6 minutes ago, Loscil2 said:

I like how you used an infinite container for that precious petrol. Nice!

And my dupes can get in to that chamber. 

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have a hydrosensor in there.  If there is enough petroleum, I don't turn off the generators because I want the water.

0xFADE    460

If it can’t be over engineered is it worth doing in the first place?

• Like 2