Waterfall Compressor Troubleshooting and other Infinite Storage Solutions

1 hour ago, Timych said:

So, say in the mono-gas environment, how would you put in a second gas inside? 

Bleach stone. Polluted dirt. Deconstruct a pipe segment full of gas, Use a vent of the gas you want. Corner dig the gas you want so it appears where needed. There are probably another 10-20 ways. :) 

5 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Bleach stone. Polluted dirt. Deconstruct a pipe segment full of gas, Use a vent of the gas you want. Corner dig the gas you want so it appears where needed. There are probably another 10-20 ways. :) 

How the **** did bleach stone never occur to me... 

I'm sure having a Homer Simpson like "I are the smart, S M R T" kinda of day... 

On 31/08/2019 at 9:09 PM, Saturnus said:

This is how I currently do the geyser capture. The thing to notice is I deliberately didn't make it as compact as possible.

The key element is the hydrosensor. It's set to 100kg but could be just about anything. It stops the pump for accidentally overemptying the storage and thereby potentially trap one of the blocking gases in a bubble when it fills up again. I learned this the hard way ::D

geyserstorage.png

Did you forget your irl physics? Just stick in a u-bend :p

(You may have to replace the square 4 down and 2 right with an airflow and add a third gas, can't test it atm.)

15690705474428138790641678753991.jpg

30 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

So to fix a potential problem that I use 3 extra tiles of area on to solve, you suggest I instead use 20 extra tiles to solve the same potential issue. Yeah, that makes sense.

But much less refined metal (and plastic?)! 

But here, I shrunk it a bit for you. 

15690717264008616022969626598324.jpg

Edit: SPOT THE DUMB! 

The U-bend does nothing, it's the third gas. 

So yeah, no need to add any extra tiles, just another gas. 

Just now, Saturnus said:

Apologies beforehand but both your suggestions I feel are just jokes.

They are, but only because I'm dumb.

Anyway, as said, just adding a third gas will stop too much gas from being trapped (as only one can become trapped).

11 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

And you add the complexity in the last version of needing a 3rd gas. You gotta be kidding, right?

Complexity? Of what? Dropping a piece of polluted dirt next to the bleach stone?

You're already trapping two gases, a third isn't any more complex.

Just now, Saturnus said:

The reason I'm implying they weren't serious suggestions is because neither of them in any way address the problem that my small change solves.

My solution simply stops the pump from draining the reservoir completely to avoid one of the gases getting trapped when it refills again. Neither of your suggestions does that. In any way.

Except it does.

The problem isn't a gas getting trapped, the problem is there needs to be two gasses free.

Adding a third gas ensures that with 100% efficiency.

3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

That'd still stop flow. Liquid don't teleport vertically.

Nope. The bottom left, and only the bottom left, corner fills with water. 2 gases above at all times, 2 gases to the right.

Actually at computer now and thus tested.image.thumb.png.ca030f03cffa1f9e45eb6dc77f62fb4a.png

I've also yet to see this three gas design fail:

image.thumb.png.21dd1791122bc768fd58efa7064a5d8f.png

Just now, Saturnus said:

Apparently not terrible well.

See? No flow to the infinite reservoir because, as I said, liquids don't teleport horizontally (I actually wrote vertically originally but meant horizontally).

image.thumb.png.e24d1aa73d3a981dac860d207fc6b886.png

Okay, and now try it with the actual setup I screenshot.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

And it's the exact same set up as I have found to fail hence leading to my solution in the first place.

Except it's not, because it has three gases.

And just FYI, here's your counter-proof when it hasn't been painted in:

image.thumb.png.df613c3f384ea58ec236ee0fc6fe57fa.png

image.thumb.png.8f6d81f360a5171daded733fc486eded.png

The only way to get gas to form as you have on yours is to allow the gas to spread before introducing the water, which is, basically, building it wrong.

4 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Doesn't matter, I've had 3 gas set ups fail as well. In fact, more frequently than two gas ones.

If I hadn't, I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of making the small change in set up so it absolutely cannot fail under any circumstances.

Right, so the fact that when tested, that exact build has never failed doesn't matter because you've had not-that builds with three gases fail?

Yeah, I'm done, not going to continue with someone unwilling to argue in good faith.

4 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

You have tested it? No you haven't. I've had infinite storages in my games for over 2 years now. I know they can and will sometimes fail. Two gas or 3 gas set ups, doesn't matter. The only way you can absolutely avoid failure is to prevent the storage being drained and thereby prevent the possibility of the gases moving around.

I'm not going to argue anymore with someone unwilling to listen to experience though.

Mhmm, so hearsay and an appeal to authority (with the gall to claim to be said authority). I rest my case.

FYI, there is no way for this system to fail, as there's only five spaces free, four gases, and one liquid:

image.thumb.png.79f60f661e11095e4e090ecd9608f95a.png

35 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

It's not what you suggested. This is the 3rd time you make a new suggestion

Yup, definitely not what I suggested, definitely not a new suggestion.

Definitely not exactly this design with the useless bit removed:

Definitely not the left design just mirrored:

And oh look, there was only three designs I proposed, and this was the second.

35 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

You have nothing constructive to offer to the conversation.

And as for this...

No, just no.

I've offered three designs, one of which was just a reworking of another, all of which had potential to work (one of which does without further modification).

Nonconstructive would be someone going "No, that doesn't work. I'm not going to test it, but it doesn't work. I've *waves e-cock* experience in this game."

Note how each time you brought up a way it could fail, I fixed that issue. That, unlike your behaviour, is textbook cooperative.

EDIT: For those of you politely reading along, here's a cleaner picture of the four gas system (right), and a working three gas system (left). Both will never fail (regardless of how long you've been playing ONI :p ).

5d86465eed0ca_CompactInfiniteWater.thumb.png.5ef68154744e6252058f3baedc7046fb.png

As someone coming late to the party, it looks like @Yunru has an alter ego, and has been having a heated discussion with himself.

What thread butchery is this!? :D 

Just to point out one slight consideration here - these locks are very, very tricky to build in a real game scenario. It's all well and good painting them in sandbox, but have you tried to build one? Corner locks, gas pipe shenanigans - they're a royal pain.

25 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Just to point out one slight consideration here - these locks are very, very tricky to build in a real game scenario. It's all well and good painting them in sandbox, but have you tried to build one? Corner locks, gas pipe shenanigans - they're a royal pain.

The hardest part's probably the last.

To start with build the core storage bit in position beneath your water, I suggest using a vent to add gas so you can seal it up completely:

image.thumb.png.df01404962a945c4fb523b3701f7f5b4.png

Then the last, and hardest part. From the water side, connect it up (be careful to make sure the highlighted block is mined last):

image.thumb.png.0bfc488fa8404eddd119624369a3b198.png

I kind of want to know the name of Yunru's alter ego now well I'm stupid, it says it in quotes

Where do I go to request "sorting by buildings that can be flooded" for oni-db. lets face it, there are a lot of options that you could sort by. I still think there should be an "advanced" setting you could tick to unhide a lot of numbers/info/statistics so you can have a clean database while also having it be fully functional and adaptable.

Using the Waterfall compressor, I present to this.

The Overpressure Distillation Machine.

When the oil vent tile recieves a full tile of oil, ie 1000kg it blocks the vent. The tile releases pressure and opens the vent once all of the oil has turned to petrol.  The oil will NEVER overflow to contaminate your counterflow heat exchange.

5dbce99e5ea83_refinerypool.png.c46de9d74e8c68b7bf5f74b7f2d55bf2.png 

The pumpless Overpressure Distillation Machine.5dbcea0892b41_bestrefinerypool.thumb.png.b48ca8672c09dab400f46c782ac0759a.png5dbcea2488952_refinerypoobuild1blocked.thumb.png.421a7225f47ab462e11aac30eafb7473.png

People have no need to be dripping oil into their distillation pools, if they are, then they are doing it wrong.

On 9/21/2019 at 3:01 PM, Yunru said:

But much less refined metal (and plastic?)! 

But here, I shrunk it a bit for you. 

15690717264008616022969626598324.jpg

Edit: SPOT THE DUMB! 

The U-bend does nothing, it's the third gas. 

So yeah, no need to add any extra tiles, just another gas. 

I was just looking for an explanation of the waterfall compressor, and the best one is definitely this one. Thanks!

Archived