Cooling.

1 hour ago, mathmanican said:

The game skips calculations in vacuum. There is no PV=nRT. Vacuum is perfect insulation in ONI.

That's slightly disappointing to hear but thanks for saving me the time and effort!  Very much appreciated.

1 hour ago, mathmanican said:

The game skips calculations in vacuum. There is no PV=nRT. Vacuum is perfect insulation in ONI.

Were it not for radiative heating/cooling, vacuum would be a perfect insulator in real life... but, eh, it stops 99% of heat so that's good enough :p

On 28.08.2019 at 9:19 PM, Yoma_Nosme said:

The amount of animals is enough to freeze your game way before serious cooling of the base would appear

That's not entirely true.

• Critters usually halve mass they consume, so if you feed hot ore to hatch you don't only get rid of ore, you also get rid of heat. (I was feeding my volcano's output directly to hatches and they were perfectly fine consuming 1000C+ ore)
  • Critters output their 'products' at their body temperature (coal from 'volcano' processing was cool enough for me to use, also I was feeding molten slickers 30C CO2 and got 120C petroleum as result... a noticeable heating)
  • Some critters have significant mass input and output (hatches can consume 140kg/cycle), which is enough of a difference (70 tiles worth of oxygen can be cooled)

It is entirely possible to set up a loop where a single critter will consume hot ore and will provide cooled output. The problem is - how to use it. You will have to carefully measure what, where and when you are feeding to your critters to not raise their internal temperature and get cooled output.

P.S. Shove vole can consume 4.8t/cycle, so in theory they are extremely efficient for cooling or heating purposes (i.e, feed it 10t at 200C, get 5t at 100C, or whatever body temperature it has). But I doubt anyone will use Shove voles for cooling since you need both the critter and the mass for it to consume, both might need to wait till player reaches surface and by that time player has steel and likely plastic to build a turbine.

1 hour ago, AndreyKl said:

But I doubt anyone will use them for cooling

How about this easy setup:

fun.thumb.png.7e5cbf54089e03f990c17b0e60caa1ae.png

I got one full stable (8 adult hatches) producing eggs.

All hatches are wrangled and if not needed to replace one in the stable above it will be brought to my volcano.

I got 2 natural tiles left and right of my volcano for my hatches to commit suicide.

=> I got a cooling solution and a killing room.

53 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

I got a cooling solution and a killing room.

Nice setup, never considered that we can force hatches to cook themselves...

But I meant usage of shove voles for cooling... I did use hatches for 'cooling' at some point) And I'm not sure how hatches provide cooling in this case? Is their mass sufficient to truly provide cooling or do they eat output of the volcano before suiciding?

12 minutes ago, AndreyKl said:

Is their mass sufficient to truly provide cooling

That was what I wanted to show.

Without eating anything and without abusing the temperature reset when a critter reaches maturity.

=> Each hatch provides roughly 17M DTU of cooling ;)

[The left insulated side with the volcano stays between 50 and 250°C depending on the volcano activity. But the critter drop of on the right side can be made of any material, even with a limit of 75°C will the drop off not overheat.]

If you want more precise numbers:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/109242-critter-based-cooling/

Archived