ADM

[Poll] Poll on the Old Bell for DST

Poll on the Old Bell for DST  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have the Old Bell on Don't Starve Together ? (and why ^^)

ADM    2,053
Posted (edited)

I wanted to make a poll to see your opinions on it :wilson_smile:

For those who only played on DST and don't know yet, Big Foot is a giant that can be summoned from the ocean with the Old Bell that you can drop its blueprint after mining the Glommer's Statue (You can still have Glommer since it is only damaged), it will stomp on the location you ringed the bell and walk forward before returning to sea. It was very useful to destroy trees planted together, or to deal a strong 1000 damages groundpound on close entities.

My opinion is that it could be a very useful way to farm wood for players that don't have a strong forager on their team like Maxwell & Woodie, maybe it could get outclassed with the use of a Reanimated Skeleton and Thurible after a certain time (only work during night).

The fact that is can deal damage have a limited uses for "fight" in DST since the giants like Deerclops, Bearger and others have an increased health. But 1000 damages is 1000 : it's big, so you will maybe find greater uses from farms like a Tallbird Fortress or when you start having to much Beefalo in a herd.

Last thing is about griefing, someone may ask if this item is not to dangerous to handle, but I'd just like to make a reminded that a torch is as dangerous when you don't light something in a safe spot, the Old Bell just work the same. Anyone can destroy a world with two cutgrass and twigs.

Edited by ADM
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

minespatch    60,894

Big foot's mechanics makes me think of Wagstaff's machine. I think the foot can attack mobs like frogs and werepigs but not at bosses.

ADM    2,053
5 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

They would have to tweak it some way to make it possible to obtain the blueprint multiple times OR have some ritual you'd need to perform to obtain a single bell instead of having a blueprint.

Yeah actually it could be nice if there is an actual way to repair the Glommer's Statue ! So you can mine it to get another blueprint if you want it too

• Like 1

Paddlefruit    363

I use a mod to add it back, since it's such a fun addition to the game. It's a shame it didn't make it into DST; would love for it to come back :) 

Also, a new method to obtain it would be needed. Mining the Glommer Statue wouldn't really work imo with multiple people

• Thanks 1

Canis    9,077

I actually don't really use the Old Bell all that often. In my day 400 world, I have a chest full of them, and only occasionally pull one out to stomp some trees every so often. 

If it was added in DST, not only would it ofc cause a lot of base cause, both accidental and purposefully, it'd make ANOTHER contender for being a good log harvester. And as a Woodie main...

No.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I_Link_I    544

What if someone(defenetly not me)rings it in the center of the base,at nicht.

Would be even worse than FIDE.

Owlrus98    384

Even if tweaked 1000-ish dmg is pretty minimal compared to the health that a lot of bosses have in the multiplayer version (15,000-27,500 usually). In the base game where say Deerclops has 2000 Health, it takes out half the guy's hp and is not a bad way to go. Honestly I'd rather see it replaced considering the chaos it would cause instead of being helpful (breaks my heart, but it's true).

Pop Guy    3,513
Posted (edited)

The blueprint of the old bell should be given either by the Toadstool or the resuscitated skeleton of the surface.
Since getting the project is complicated, every bell should have 5 uses.

Edited by Pop Guy
  • Confused 1

minespatch    60,894
5 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

I'd just like it if something was added that makes use of the Glommer wings and flower.

Fake fairy wings?:wilson_sneaky:

• Thanks 1

Canis    9,077
27 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Fake fairy wings?:wilson_sneaky:

• Haha 1

minespatch    60,894
2 minutes ago, Canis said:

-in soviet russia, you take teeth from fairy-

Potential Wolfgang halloween costume?:wilson_sneaky:

• Like 1

maradyne    4,554
Posted (edited)

Now would be the time to bring it back, if Klei is planning to ever do so. Descends from the sky, summoning item comes from a Moon-related creature...

Wall of text about why I think the item is fine:

Spoiler

I'm not terribly worried about seasonal bosses being trivialized given that they can be Telelocated away with a fairly easy to build staff to avoid the fight altogether, or brought to Dragonfly for a free kill. And where those fail, ie the more stationary bosses, Pig/Bunny/Tentacle/Gunpowder spam succeed. Even if the Bell as-was were used on most DST bosses, they'd take multiple hits before going down.
Heck, I still use those first couple tricks on Deerclopse sometimes, due to how frequently public server groups tend to sit in base, then run around in circles watching it wreck everything. Might as well just delete the problem, hah.

Griefing is a good point, and presumably is the reason for the removal in the first place. But...yea, it's ultimately an issue of trust in the group you're playing with to not use it in a bad location, or trust in the managers of the server you're playing on to perma-ban the bad apples; something that's already done on a regular basis with the server locusts who go around setting fires and hammering stuff. Public servers aren't anywhere near grief-free at present; rollbacks and repeated kicks are a constant occurrence.

Heck, I'd kind of rather Old Bell griefers; it's big, flashy, and pretty hard to hide your intentions. Make the Bell sound and ground-stomp rumble happen server-wide, and we've got a griefer detection system! We'd have to rollback if someone set a fire anyway; at least with ques like that, we'd know to go look.
Could also make it so that the Ocuvigil just...glares at the Foot if it's used nearby, scaring it into lifting back up into the sky without doing any damage. One neat little trick to block "Ooh, what does this button dooo?" incidental griefing.

Ultimately though, I think the best solution would be to let Winona reverse-engineer some of Wagstaff's tech from single-player and link it to her electrical system to make her more generally useful, and give Thumper a skin that makes the hammer portion look like Big Foot.

Edited by maradyne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vevex    176

I remeber a while back someone suggesting a spike you can craft and put on the floor for bigfoot protection, because like the foot steps on it gets hurt and stops doing its thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2