[Experimental Update] - 363255

Kevin

• Developer

Hey Grifters,

In this update, we're experimenting with some changes to combo. Instead of wiping out every turn, it now reduces when you take hits. This is actually our original (pre-launch) version of combo, but we had to dial it back because it would occasionally get out of hand. We've strategically nerfed some of the combo-consume cards that were causing damage explosions in the hope of preserving the (more fun) bigger-number combo model.

• Did a broad pass on card xp.  Default max_xp is now 8 instead of 10.
  • Combo does not decay at the end of a turn - you lose half of your combo whenever you take unmitigated damage.
  • nailed_glove now reduces combo lost from damage to 1.
  • Blade fury is spends UP TO 3 combo, instead of all combo
  • Reduce Combo gain from unugpraded Combination from 2 to 1.
  • You can eat fsshcakes before the docks boss fight.
  • Several influence cards now spend less influence.
  • Made the top-left overlay numbers more legible.
  • Improved layout of crew members in overlay.
  • Added option to give up on a run while on the legacy screen.
  • Fix floating-point Crippling Strikes stacks on Admiralty Clerks.
  • Neither leech nor bleed are inflicted by default if the attack is evaded.
  • Changed Bully/Sparring to only affect Defend (not composure) and also to stack.
  • Adrenaline Shot now costs 1. Hasten yields only 1 Action, and Replenishes.
  • Changed Lumin Burn to insert itself in discard rather than draw pile.
  • Hilight Initial Ravenous upgrade.
  • Show number of cards played in Defensive Surge's card description.
  • Fix crash in relationship comparison in ConvoOption:ReceiveOpinion if there is no change specified in the opinion event.

View full update

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I think the changes to combo are excellent! This deck type should be a lot more viable now, although I still expect some cards to get a slight buff here and there (eg. why is Rain of Blades a Finisher, when it only cares about your first point of combo).

58 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Reduce Combo gain from unugpraded Combination from 2 to 1.

It doesn't look like this change was actually implemented, from taking a quick look at the compendium.

58 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Changed Bully/Sparring to only affect Defend (not composure) and also to stack.

Bully was too oppressive on your composure, so this change is great. Making it stack is interesting, will need to test it out to see. 

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Adrenaline Shot now costs 1. Hasten yields only 1 Action, and Replenishes.

Adrenaline shot was unplayable, so this is good. Considering it's a card you need to spend money to get into your deck and that you can only use a limited number of times, I think it could add 3 Hasten and still be fine. The delayed benefit and initial cost is tough. Compare to Exhaustion or Vial of slurry, that give the benefit *now* instead of some time later.

(this comes from my belief that buying items should be "fun", but too many of them are not strong enough compared to regular cards to justify the purchase. The noodles are one of the few that feel right)

50 minutes ago, TheCoolestFool said:

My one shot Nadan build is ruined :(. Oh well probably overall better for combo.

I am not sure Blade Fury needed the change, because it needed a lot of setup to be truly good. Or else you needed Inside Fighting, because that combo is bananas... but IMHO the problem there is Inside Fighting, not Blade Fury.

That being said, it now deals 3-4 damage, instead of 1-2. That's actually pretty powerful. Seems like an auto-include in all combo decks.

• Like 1

• Developer

Old Blade fury + Wound would mean that anything that let you get a lot of combo would pretty much end a fight. It got pretty degenerate (like >100 damage per attack vs bosses). :)

8 minutes ago, pacovf said:

It doesn't look like this change was actually implemented, from taking a quick look at the compendium.

Oops - the change is implemented, but the text wasn't updated. I'll fix it, and it should present properly in the next update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What you call degenerate, I call fun :p To be able to pull that off, you needed some way to stack a lot of wound, and to stack a lot of combo, neither of which were particularly easy. Although it the new combo rules makes stacking combo considerably easier, then I see why it’s a necessary fix.

To be clear, if changing Blade Fury is the price to pay to “fix” combo decks, then I am 110% for it. Make it 130% if the new Blade Fury is the level of power you want from combo cards :p

Yeah it was fun pulling off stupid stuff with combo but if overall it works better then im cool with it. most of my combo decks was just combination/carve/shoulder roll and it felt bad most of the cards were bad. Might be nice to actually play breather with this change lol. never used the card because you couldnt even pull it off as a first draft.

• Like 1

They sneak-buffed Breather too, I don’t know when. It’s 2 defense and 2 counter at base now, for a total of 6 defense and 6 counter for 3 combo, before upgrade. Seems decent enough, compared to other combo spenders.

Combo felt a lot better to me now. Made a deck that was pretty much combination and stomp with battle scars/defensive surge for defense and adapt to keep it up nearly each turn. got 2 boulder stances on day 3 and another 2 right before Ooloo lmao. The graft that makes you lose only 1 combo per hit is pretty good.

Image 4.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Pretty good update. I liked the changes on the combo mechanic, but I feel like some cards are leveling too fast now? I managed to get my entire battle deck maxed before the end of day 2. It shouldn't evolve so quickly imo.

Sparring/Bully didn't stack already? Nice change then.

3 hours ago, Hraklea said:

Pretty good update. I liked the changes on the combo mechanic, but I feel like some cards are leveling too fast now? I managed to get my entire battle deck maxed before the end of day 2. It shouldn't evolve so quickly imo.

Sparring/Bully didn't stack already? Nice change then.

The changes definitely make combo way more flexible to use and less dependent on getting shoulder roll, I like it. I feel like it's gonna make mixed combo decks easier to build.

7 hours ago, TheCoolestFool said:

whats the nerf to bleed? i didnt see anything about it here.

On 8/27/2019 at 4:20 PM, Kevin said:

Neither leech nor bleed are inflicted by default if the attack is evaded.

16 minutes ago, TheCoolestFool said:

it doesnt work unfortunately lol

What do you mean? It works! I've counted amount of played card's xp after fatigued condition was removed by defence card and it was increased by 1. 

22 hours ago, pacovf said:

Right now, the only enemies that can evade are Vrocs, and only during the first turn. They also never fight alone, they are always accompanying admiralty guards / goons. It barely qualifies as a nerf, really.

I misunderstood, by evade I thought he meant defense, since you get that in game through using the evasion card.

• Like 1