Just add lead to extract energy

Hi all

i find one trick to optimize heat transfer for trivial volcano/steam setup.

Trivial setup -  put magma to heat steam chamber with some termo control (doors)

after magma turn to solid - cut it with robominer.

And what about debris? - we have rocks with temp about 1000C but with vacuum we cant use them to heat steam chamber.

We can use sweeper - but with steel we have problem - rocks too hot.

but if we add some lead - it melts, and we have good heat transfer from debris, and if we add one more termo sensor we can sweep debris when it cool down to 300C.

Lead is ideal for this - it melt with low temp  but not evaropate...

main idea is to drain heat before use sweepers

image.thumb.png.da69ba93d1621e13daefb31aca3476d0.png

Aluminum has about 2x the conductivity of lead, and has a much higher boiling point.

From a practical perspective, you're able to handle 1000+C igneous rock with autosweepers in a vacuum. My regolith melter design uses one, and it works with a little drop of liquid on the sweeper allowing it to be cooled with radiant gas pipes.

23 minutes ago, Lafara said:

if i remember it right , Lead melt at 300-ish C and evaporate to gas at 600-ish C temperature.

Nope. It's 327.7-1749°C 

51 minutes ago, hackcasual said:

Aluminum has about 2x the conductivity of lead, and has a much higher boiling point.

From a practical perspective, you're able to handle 1000+C igneous rock with autosweepers in a vacuum. My regolith melter design uses one, and it works with a little drop of liquid on the sweeper allowing it to be cooled with radiant gas pipes.

Aluminium is 660.3 to 2470°C, 20.5 tc and 0.91 shc, aluminium, lead 11 and 0.128.

I would also suggest aluminium but from range 700-300 degrees lead wins.

9 hours ago, Zakery said:

main idea is to drain heat before use sweepers

One common issue I see that leads people to think they can't use sweepers in vacuum to handle very hot items, is you need to make sure your rails don't cross any of your liquid drops. The biggest culprit is the shipping loader, make sure you flip it upside down or have it on its side.

If we put steam chamber on top of volcano, we limited by max pressure - if it bigger that 20Kg (jr something near) - it block eruptions of volcano.

I use separate chamber to "store" energy by add water in case of excess heat available - something like "steam battery".

For sweapers - yes its possible to use them with high temp in vacuum, and use some cooling setup as for robominers, but the colder the debris - the simpler processing. So i try to extract as mach heat as possible before moving rocks, so i need less energy to cool it to usable temp.

Aluminium vs Lead - lead have less conductivity, but its no problem, lesser melting temp allow me to extract rocks with 300C and less 

7 hours ago, Zakery said:

If we put steam chamber on top of volcano, we limited by max pressure - if it bigger that 20Kg (jr something near) - it block eruptions of volcano.

I use separate chamber to "store" energy by add water in case of excess heat available - something like "steam battery".

20kg limit isn’t a big deal. And, it’s actually higher than that as far as I’ve seen. But, It’s not like you need to add much water. 

Funny you said steam battery. I’ve been filling my steam turbine rooms with steel batteries. Smart or otherwise. I had two volcanoes close enough together I just made a giant steam room. They run more efficiently, since I turn their heat output back to energy. But, I have no doubt your steam battery holds more. That said, my storage batteries rarely fill up, so maybe it’s enough in practice. 

7 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I remember somebody suggesting lead as a new metal before just for that purpose. Before LU we didn`t have any material that`s liquid at around 300-600oC. Nice to see it worked out.

That was me! Looking forward to getting back in the game to play with the new toys

Lead have something about 1750 evaropation temp - highet than volcano output

About steam battery -  i just love not comples solutions

we can yse battary in big numbers to store excid power

but not many ways  to store heat energy, steam is good way for me, just add automation to not retorn water to steam room if pressure too high and we have ideal energy storage with unlimited capacity

I really like this idea and I am going to try it out in my next save.  This is another interesting way to store energy. 

If anyone has actually done this in game and has screenshots of it, I'd love to actually see it full swing.

Archived