Temperature Clamped Steam Turbines - Extract power from cool steam.

6 hours ago, Tonyroid said:

Part of me wants to scour forums for "dubious-but-really-cool" builds like this and get permission to feature them on YouTube videos.

You are welcome to feature anything you see from me. Feel free to message me if you ever want help finding crazy things. At one point I was planning on making a post title "Exploits 101: How to bug the **** out of ONI" where I put it all together.  I decided to not do it, rather let others have fun finding it all. 

7 hours ago, Tonyroid said:

Part of me wants to scour forums for "dubious-but-really-cool" builds like this and get permission to feature them on YouTube videos.

if i had any builds worth featuring, i would allow you to feature them.

but i guess i dont have :wilson_cry:

- Metallichydra, creator of useless stuff

1 hour ago, metallichydra said:

Metallichydra, creator of useless stuff

Not quite true. I'm currently planning a nice sporchid garden next to my sleeping corridors. I always love looking at your new builds. Haven't tried the "easy survival" build yet (may skip that one). :) 

Here is a smaller version, that doesn't abuse the temperature clamping. Just pump small bits of steam into the side rooms and heat that room with radiant piping.  I'm using 165C crude oil (get it from your refinery, and cool it off as well inside the middle region if you want). The conductive wire bridge, and the not gate, are there to serve as heat sinks (small tempshift plates) to make sure that the tiny bits of gas instantly reach >160C.  Even with the petro-crude access doors, the thing barely leaks heat. 

csn1.thumb.png.50d493949457d25d2acd2ea55a91c48a.png

Spoiler

csvn2.thumb.png.a63f4960c5b160bf9a78f819cc0e7c6e.png

The piping could easily be improved. I built this one in survival for kicks, and so the piping got messy. Gas was easy. 

cvsn4.thumb.png.24e96bad33c2a99a9b6317bc22e0888c.png

Oh, on a side note: You can only story about 1000kg of steam per tile with this build, as the bypass fails to work once you pass 1000kg pressure.

On 8/26/2019 at 8:39 AM, Gus Smedstad said:

This is what makes this design a non-starter for me. It's outright cheating, IMHO, taking advantage of the fact the code takes a shortcut instead of properly calculating the total energy of the input steam.

Then don't use it? Why post in this thread instead of ignoring it?

25 minutes ago, geniusthemaster said:

is it possible to run a steam turbine at full power using only one turbine vent? whats if i had highly heated overpressurized steam?

No, but you can use a heat exchange with one or more other steam rooms to extract energy from the steam until it's under the temperature needed to run through a two vent turbine.

Archived