useless plants

I use waterweed for mushroom wraps and burgers. The amount of bleach stone they need is so minute that you really dont have to think about it. As far as saltvine and gas grass, I haven't used them. Rime has no way to obtain saltvine and I haven't been to space yet.

Waterweed needs no chlorine geyser ;) 

frost burgers are amazing for hard difficulty gaming they have -15% stress on top of 16 morale. You can feed 3 ravenous dupes with frost using 1 domesticated waterweed, 3 domesticated sleet wheat and a ranch of hatches. 

10 waterweeds need like 5 kg chlorine a cycle thats enough for most players and even if you have none on your map is sustainable by rocketry.

in my opinion its ok to have late game perfect food that is partly ever-sustainable by rocketry. 

The rest of the mentioned plants are easily interchangable for other solutions yes. 

Players: The Chlorine Geyser is useless!

Klei:  *creates several things that require Chlorine*

Players: All these things are useless, they require a Chlorine Geyser!

Oh the irony...

1 hour ago, MorsDux said:

Waterweed needs no chlorine geyser

But they do require Bleach Stone, which can only be created by Squeaky Pufts consuming Chlorine.

1 hour ago, PhailRaptor said:

But they do require Bleach Stone, which can only be created by Squeaky Pufts consuming Chlorine.

You can create chlorine from the rust deoxydizer. Along with the bleach stone naturally on the map and all the rust you can sustain the waterweed for a really long time.

4 hours ago, metallichydra said:

who even uses Dasha saltvine?

Dasha saltvine is the perfect plant to get rid of random chlorine pockets around your base. I don`t use it to create salt, but to clean the air. Those random pockets are really annoying and it`s not worth to build a pump to remove them.

Now i just need a plant that absorbs nat gas.

6 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

You can create chlorine from the rust deoxydizer. Along with the bleach stone naturally on the map and all the rust you can sustain the waterweed for a really long time.

Dasha saltvine is the perfect plant to get rid of random chlorine pockets around your base. I don`t use it to create salt, but to clean the air. Those random pockets are really annoying and it`s not worth to build a pump to remove them.

Now i just need a plant that absorbs nat gas.

damn you are right...now i just need a plant that absorbs PO2 pocket...

7 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

Pips! 2 wild-farmed seaweeds per dupe (without tending I must add) is about enough to make mushroom wrap a mainstay food source.

image.thumb.png.29d8e879953030e4ced46ead12f92c22.png

I have since moved on from this particular build, it's just too ugly for me.

(also it would take many fewer for frostburger)

7 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

Players: The Chlorine Geyser is useless!

Klei:  *creates several things that require Chlorine*

Players: All these things are useless, they require a Chlorine Geyser!

This needs a correction in the last line:

Players: All these things are useless and they also require a Chlorine Geyser!

Half of maps are guaranteed a chlorine geyser.  It can be kinda annoying when you get that instead of the natural gas geyser.

As for the plants themselves, Dashas have been covered.  They're a way to delete chlorine before you have space access.  Waterweed is way too expensive for an early food source except maybe on Aridio if you happen to get them before mushrooms.  They are only practical as a late game thing once you've got your oven up.  Gas Grass and Gassy Moos are only really a bragging rights thing.  You grow them just to say that you have done it.

10 hours ago, DarkMaster13 said:

Half of maps are guaranteed a chlorine geyser.  It can be kinda annoying when you get that instead of the natural gas geyser.

That is not correct.  Any map that has the Caustic/Jungle biome is guaranteed either a NatGas geyser and a Chlorine Geyser.  It should be a 50/50 split between the 2 options.

17 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

That is not correct.  Any map that has the Caustic/Jungle biome is guaranteed either a NatGas geyser and a Chlorine Geyser.  It should be a 50/50 split between the 2 options.

You are correct.  It's what I meant to say, poor wording on my part.  All of the asteroids get a caustic biome, so half of the maps you generate will have a chlorine geyser.  Obviously you won't know which it is until after you find the point of interest.

12 hours ago, avc15 said:

Pips! 2 wild-farmed seaweeds per dupe (without tending I must add) is about enough to make mushroom wrap a mainstay food source.

I'm confused about the maths. Shouldn't it be 3? 48 days for 3 portions of mushroom wrap (14400kcal) = 300kcal/cycle?

Gas grass is so weird. I get the point of gassy moos thematically, and sort of its practical purpose, but why chlorine? It really feels like they didn't think they'd add these other plants so they had to think of some kind of use outside of the ore scrubber. Also it's super lategame for what it does.
Dasha saltvine is...a thing. It's basically like the nosh sprout as just this plant you see not growing in the map and there's very little point to actually bothering with domesticating it or intentionally wildplanting it. Again it feels like an afterthought and a pointless excuse on wanting a chlorine geyser.
Waterweed is very interesting. Too bad it needs not just chlorine, but chlorine in puft-compacted constantly-offgassing form to grow domestically, so looks like it's forever gonna be wildplanted. It's also really weird thematically that it needs chlorine to begin with.
Oh, and you forgot the balm lily! That plant that was once upon a time relevant when dupes being sick actually mattered.

Overall, I think chlorine and everything that uses it is ONI's least thought-out component. Players just plain avoid the buildings that use it, and the plants are this weird mix of niches without much overall impact. The chlorine geyser being not always there makes it even worse because it means even if you plan on using one of these for some reason, you could just be out of luck for that particular base.

It'd be great if we got a reliable critter-based way to make chlorine (oh hello rust biome drecko that's clearly a placeholder...), less of it spawned in the map, bleach stone didn't offgas under normal conditions, waterweed didn't need it, and it was easier to use for disinfecting (like a way to chlorinate water and an ore scrubber replacement that actually is good).

Definitely agree that Gas Grass and Gassy Moos are by far the least thought out component of the game.  The effort you go through to acquire either one of them is monumental, and their resource output is negligible.  Nevermind that Moos still can't reproduce.

28 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

Dasha saltvine is...a thing. It's basically like the nosh sprout as just this plant you see not growing in the map and there's very little point to actually bothering with domesticating it or intentionally wildplanting it. Again it feels like an afterthought and a pointless excuse on wanting a chlorine geyser.

Actually it was meant to be an early fire-and-forget solution to the Rust Oxidizer, and it doubles as a way to produce Salt once you mine out all your Tide-pool biomes.  It ends up being a super weak association due to the fact that the Rust Oxidizer can be skipped pretty easily if there's any Oxyferns or Algae on your map (Terrariums are OP, fight me).  Linger on either Oxyferns or Terrariums while you search for some variety of Water geyser for use feeding an Electrolyzer.  The Rust Oxidizer is just not useful, so it's solutions are irrelevant.

33 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

It's also really weird thematically that it needs chlorine to begin with.

I think the reason is playing on salt.  They're found in a salty environment, and salt has Chlorine in it's chemical formula.  But....  that's kind of where the theme ends.  I do like the idea of it being a "different" resource, but....  shouldn't it just be Salt?

On 8/25/2019 at 6:29 AM, Sasza22 said:

Yup.  Since Chlorine floats between CO2 and O2, I'll put a couple of Saltvines near the bottom of the base.  Since my `CO2 level is constantly rising and falling, this pushes the Chlorine past the Saltvines to get eaten up.

Going to agree on the Dasha as a decent way to deal with the chlorine from rust deoxidizers.

My center base is usually a fully insulated and scrubbed box, so the dasha fits neatly on the 2 tile bottom maintenance floor where the scrubber and transformers go already.
Once the scrubbers have cleared the CO2 the Dasha can clear the clorine and recoup a bit of salt along the way.

5 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

Definitely agree that Gas Grass and Gassy Moos are by far the least thought out component of the game.  The effort you go through to acquire either one of them is monumental, and their resource output is negligible.  Nevermind that Moos still can't reproduce.

Actually it was meant to be an early fire-and-forget solution to the Rust Oxidizer, and it doubles as a way to produce Salt once you mine out all your Tide-pool biomes.  It ends up being a super weak association due to the fact that the Rust Oxidizer can be skipped pretty easily if there's any Oxyferns or Algae on your map (Terrariums are OP, fight me).  Linger on either Oxyferns or Terrariums while you search for some variety of Water geyser for use feeding an Electrolyzer.  The Rust Oxidizer is just not useful, so it's solutions are irrelevant.

I think the reason is playing on salt.  They're found in a salty environment, and salt has Chlorine in it's chemical formula.  But....  that's kind of where the theme ends.  I do like the idea of it being a "different" resource, but....  shouldn't it just be Salt?

Well, supposedly chlorine geyser to gas grass to gassy moos is 10x better than a natural gas geyser, but that takes quite a lot of gassy moos and infrastructure, and natural gas was never exactly a resource people needed 10x more of after getting well into rocketry (and if they did, sour gas boilers are ridiculous).

Rust deoxidizer is useful as a combination oxygen and iron ore source on Arboria (very little algae and no slime), at least. I just really don't see its chlorine as useful so much as a mild annoyance. I should want to grow dasha saltvines, not use them to soak up random bits of waste product.

Waterweed already required salt for irrigation, and Klei added bleach stone seemingly to buff squeaky pufts. This had the effect of just making nobody ever want to grow waterweed domestically, since bleach stone, especially in tons of little piles in a ranch that must never have oxygen in it, is really annoying to deal with, and so is puft farming in general.

54 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

Well, supposedly chlorine geyser to gas grass to gassy moos is 10x better than a natural gas geyser, but that takes quite a lot of gassy moos and infrastructure, and natural gas was never exactly a resource people needed 10x more of after getting well into rocketry (and if they did, sour gas boilers are ridiculous).

Rust deoxidizer is useful as a combination oxygen and iron ore source on Arboria (very little algae and no slime), at least. I just really don't see its chlorine as useful so much as a mild annoyance. I should want to grow dasha saltvines, not use them to soak up random bits of waste product.

Waterweed already required salt for irrigation, and Klei added bleach stone seemingly to buff squeaky pufts. This had the effect of just making nobody ever want to grow waterweed domestically, since bleach stone, especially in tons of little piles in a ranch that must never have oxygen in it, is really annoying to deal with, and so is puft farming in general.

I have waterweed farm, domesticated for frost burgers. Never had any annoyance about it. Sweepers feed the waterweed with bleach stone from a compactor that is standing in a puddle. Didnt need to touch it ever since is made it. They also take very little resource as each plant makes enough for 1 frost burger a cycle. 

Archived