[Poll] Oh no, it's another poll

[Poll] Oh yeah, it is another poll  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next character refresh after Woodie?

• Wilson
    • Wolfgang
    • Wendy
    • WX-78
    • Wickerbottom
    • The Mime
    • Maxwell
    • Wigfrid
    • Webber
    • Wagstaff
    • Walani
    • The Monkey
    • Woodlegs
    • The Pig Princess
    • Wheeler
    • The Great Return of Warbucks

Wendy doesn't need a refresh as badly as Willow or Woodie did, but she's a little underpowered now, especially since Willow has the new Bernie. She also has hints toward some very interesting lore given that she's suggested to be Maxwell's niece and Klei's on record as saying Abigail died under "mysterious circumstances". She's the one I voted for in the poll. I'm not bothering to make any suggestions as to how to change her, I'm just going to trust Klei because I'm fairly pleased with the reworks so far. (Also, there are already plenty of hints to her age in the game, people just don't pay attention to them. I don't see what Klei could do to make it more obvious in the cinematic short of something like having her get taken to the Constant in the middle of her 12th birthday party.)

Wes could use a mechanical tweak; although he's underpowered on purpose, he wasn't changed at all when he was brought in from singleplayer despite his handicaps playing out differently in a group, and it would be nice if Wes players were more viable as part of a team in a way that doesn't make them any better at surviving alone.

Webber is also kind of underpowered, since building up a spider army takes a lot of meat and in multiplayer he can't take cave spiders to the surface, not to mention that they attack Chester and don't stay befriended especially long (I don't think befriended spiders will attack other players, but there's no way for other players to tell when the befriendment expires). I've always wanted to be able to put hats on them, and giving them football helmets would legitimately make them stronger.

I really, really want to see more WX-78 lore ever since Wagstaff dropped and all but confirmed himself as their creator, but I think their balance is fine right now so they're probably not the next one on the conveyor belt.

I suspect we'll get another existing character reworked before we see anyone from the singleplayer DLCs added, and I bet the Shipwrecked characters are in the queue ahead of Wheeler, Wilba, or Wagstaff both because their expansion pack is older and because there's sailing in DST now. I'd love to play as Wheeler without needing to use glitchy, unfinished mods, but I don't think her day in the sun is coming quite that soon. Walani or Woodlegs is probably next up.

6 minutes ago, maradyne said:

Eh, at this point we're just guessing. Whoever the next refresh is, they've probably already started working on them.

Eh? If I had to guess, they're probably still working on Woodie atm.

Also, Klei's good with listening to the community. For example, a lot of people wanted Willow to have Fire Immunity, and they gave her Fire Immunity at the last second.

Just now, minespatch said:

ooooooo.png.87e8b28737f42d245a2bd4b30260

I want this board to be explained in the upcoming shorts.

I just realized some things with this board:

-Clockwork bishops are in the real world?

-Woodie and Wickerbottom must have close friends or relatives, or well known in the community, to warrant a missing person poster.

-Winona (or someone else) has photographed a portal. (The swirly thing near Woodie's missing poster)

Just now, Canis said:

Eh? If I had to guess, they're probably still working on Woodie atm.

I meant that they've probably done some partial work for the next character while working on Woodie. Best ideas tend to come up when you're already experimenting. Actually really common in the game industry for ideas that may have been tossed away from one project to be used elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Canis said:
  • -Clockwork bishops are in the real world?
  • -Woodie and Wickerbottom must have close friends or relatives, or well known in the community, to warrant a missing person poster.
  • -Winona (or someone else) has photographed a portal. (The swirly thing near Woodie's missing poster)
  1. Somehow Wx is connected to Wickerbottom and the automoton bishops.
  2. Woodie has a connection to Abigail and the Voxola factory.
  3. The portal is connected to Woodie being next to the portal. We can assume that Woodie witnessed a portal or he did something to trigger.

28 minutes ago, minespatch said:
  1. We can assume that Woodie witnessed a portal or he did something to trigger.

Noticed the thing with the Flower when the board was first revealed, but...
With this in mind, I wonder if he witnessed Wendy's disappearance, or a portal pulling Abigail's ghost through, as per Wendy's wishes?

Which...would actually be perfect.
Woodie is a seemingly crazy, solitary woodsman that talks to his axe.
Then, he starts ranting to people about supernatural phenomena, particularly abductions by alien beings.
Noone believes him because he seems like a textbook conspiracy theorist tinfoil hatter hiding in the woods. Doubly so because he's talking about the twins, one of which died and the other of which...people probably thought was going to die soon because reasons.
...at least, noone believes him until Winona comes along.

He may have even been dragged into the Constant in order to shut him up.
Or, given how his curse interacts with the Moon, it could be Gestalt shenanigans, which being in the Constant balances out. Which is a whole other topic...

Spoiler

Basically Return of Them has built further upon the theme of balancing Light and Dark, which was earlier implied by the Charlie's various A New Reign cinematics.
The Enlightenment mechanic being a direct reversal of Sanity, and the hot springs on the Moon producing Gems (like Nightmare Fuel does with the End's Well and implied to have been also accomplished by the Ancients) are what really solidified it.
Across most of the Constant, you have to be Enlightened to counter the Shadows.
On the shard of the Moon, you have to be Insane to counter the Gestalt.
Light to counter Dark.
Dark to counter Light.

The first part of my initial theory from back at the start of A New Reign about Charlie being 'saved' by the power of friendship and gaining control over herself via Light and Dark shenanigans is looking more and more likely.

WAIT
WOODIE HATES THE CLEARLY INVOLVED BIRDS
I JUST REALIZED THAT WE MIGHT GET MORE BIRD LORE IN WOODIE'S CINEMATIC
E X C I T E M E N T   P E A K E D

3 hours ago, maradyne said:

Eh, at this point we're just guessing. Whoever the next refresh is, they've probably already started working on them.

I don't think it's just a guess, Klei seems to be basing its refresh road-map on the feedback it gets from the community, especially more invested fans who voice their opinions through forums or social media. When they first announced 2019 roadmap, Winona was regarded by a wide array of people as an undesirable boring character, "Wilson 2.0" that people didn't really accept into the main cast of characters. So they reworked her first. They also gave priority to Willow as she was also disliked and was very infamous in wide circles of the playerbase, seen as the griefer character.

Even Wormwood and Warly were added based on their popularity. They were the two most wanted characters to come to DST from singleplayer and they came as a DLC and a refresh respectively. Next in line is now seen as a useless character by many for being outclassed by Maxwell in resource collection so we're waiting for Woodie's refresh. If Klei's own data also suggests that Wendy is the next weakest-perceived character as suggested by this poll, it is very likely she'll be the next. Klei never suddenly broke the mold by announcing refresh to a more powerfully-perceived character like Wickerbottom and Maxwel and they probably won't move on to them until they exhaust the characters with weaker community perceptions. 

5 hours ago, minespatch said:

ooooooo.png.87e8b28737f42d245a2bd4b30260

I want this board to be explained in the upcoming shorts.

I would guess that this board belongs to someone that is (or was) in the real world and wants to know more about The Constant. Now who do we know that are in the constant that wanted to be there? Wagstaff 

18 minutes ago, trinket_4 said:

I would guess that this board belongs to someone that is (or was) in the real world and wants to know more about The Constant. Now who do we know that are in the constant that wanted to be there? Wagstaff 

But Wagstaff was abducted right when the Factory exploded meaning he couldn't make the board.

I suspect it's Genny's ( The Winona's work-friend)

Since she would know about Charlie, worked at Voxola ( maybe took a early version blueprint of WX-78 )

wendy is a nice character to play at the moment but doesn't compare much to the others, abigial has really simple ai and pratically self destructs at the sight of an enemy, i would prefer more of and ai revamp than anything or maybe sometype of new ghostly powers as that seems to be a new trend with revamps

also about the lore and stuff i presume that wagstaff and maxwell had some sort of relationship of some sort, as voxalla radio  and clockworks are under maxwells control and wagstaff seems to have some sort of magical aptitude. 

3 hours ago, trinket_4 said:

3 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:
  • But Wagstaff was abducted right when the Factory exploded meaning he couldn't make the board.
  • I suspect it's Genny's ( The Winona's work-friend)
  • Since she would know about Charlie, worked at Voxola ( maybe took a early version blueprint of WX-78 )

It could be either. Genny is a good suggestion since she's still in our world while there's rumors of Wagstaff still being in our world due to Wagstaff's in game animation being a projection. I'm more close to Genny since Wagstaff is still implied to be snatched into the Constant.

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

It could be either. Genny is a good suggestion since she's still in our world while there's rumors of Wagstaff still being in our world due to Wagstaff's in game animation being a projection. I'm more close to Genny since Wagstaff is still implied to be snatched into the Constant.

And suddenly it is a completely different character who collects materials about missing peopleWcPl83VLy6g.thumb.jpg.f42118e1560c8a4f50f145a5f8dc6b90.jpgAlthough judging by the fact that there are many photos associated with Winona, it may be Genny. Wagstaff is a projection in the Constant, but he's still out there somewhere, but not in real life. 

2 hours ago, AverageBLues said:

At first I thought it was because he was a low tier robot, but now it seems because Wickerbottom created or helped create him, because she knows science macine recipes.

...oh, that actually makes some sense? Wicker was a very knowledgeable person in the real world, to the point that she's implied to have been publishing her own books at some point there, too. My first thought on the paper she's holding in her "Missing" photo was some sort of certificate, degree, or some paper that she wrote.
Given that she's able to manipulate the Constant with her books, and Maxwell can both use her magic and implies that it's similar to his own, maybe she was doing similar in the real world, but just didn't have the magic to work with?

If that were the case, it's plausible that Wagstaff used some of her research or theories to give WX life.

I really hope it's Wendy, and she seems to be the most likely one, so hooray! 

Maybe we'll get to see how Abigail died. i swear to god if it's a tentacle-

It would be neat to see how their relationship was before Abigail's death, too, even if they don't showcase the actual thing happening. Was Wendy always this edgy, melancholic child, or was it (like I imagine) caused by Abigail's early death? If so, how did she act before that happened? Did Wendy shut herself off the world after Abby's death? Was it a promise for Abigail's return that led her to come into the constant? 

and yes, while I know there are multiple theories for all the questions above, it still would be nice to get a canon response to all of them, even if i don't think the short will answer them all.

Archived