What is hardest possible map?

I think Aridio is the hardest.  It's a hot forest with little water, so growing food is difficult.  But ranching is also harder on Aridio than as it is on Oasisse.  There is so much sand to feed hatches in Oasisse while also having comparable amounts of dirt.  

Oasisse is a map where heat death is imminent.  Aridio is a map where it already happened.

I have been playing Aridio with max difficulty except food and accept a dupe immediately every 3 cycles, no deaths.  Currently have around 75 dupes at around cycle 200.  I don't think this is possible with ravenous.  I have learned the art of the cycle 8 vacuum insulated farm with ice makers to cool it.  

On 9/2/2019 at 11:13 PM, Mutineer said:

It forced to use thinks like Ice Makers, Ice fans, water cooler which I never feel need to use before.

You should look at ice temp shift plates.  They make an area cold very quickly.

It really depends on some of the other attributes of the map.  For example, Rime with Lava Tubes isn't that bad, but Verdante with Boulders (any type), Metal Poor, and Frozen Core but without Slime Molds can be very difficult due to the how hard it is to get water and oxygen.

Many of the difficult maps are challenging for different reasons, so if there's an aspect that you think you manage well, it can be fun to challenge them.  For example, I do a pretty good job of managing the thermal activity of my base, so usually I do challenges on Rime, Volcanea, or Aridio.  Volcanea with Volcanoes and Lava Tubes can really make things tricky, especially in the early to mid-game.  Rime with Frozen Core can be extremely difficult in the early stages because its very hard to warm things up enough to grow food.  Its also difficult to keep your critters alive until later in  the game.  This means you can't rely on Drekos for reed fibers or plastics until you can start controlling room temperatures.  Aridio is another one where early in the game temperatures are an issue and it becomes a sort-of race to get steam turbines up and active before your cooling pools get too hot and start turning to steam.

I think some of the toughest combinations I've generated are:

• Rime:  Large Glaciers, Geodormant, Frozen Core, Miscalculated Pod Location
  • Volcanea: Geoactive, Metal Poor, Magma Channels, Volcanoes
  • Verdante: Large Boulders, Buried Oil, Metal Poor, Frozen Core

On 2/18/2020 at 6:43 AM, Outrate said:

Doesn't work or I installing it wrong.

Probably both.  This was back when the current modding platform was being finalized.  IIRC you had to drop the files in a specific location, change another file to indicate that location had a new map in it now, and navigate the game's flaky restart dialogs.

When I have some time I'll poke about and see if I can get it polished and onto Steam, which would be much simpler to use.

In the meantime, Pholith's made a bunch of other nifty maps modeled after solar system moons:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1930918856

Titan is ace - you need to melt solid oxygen for O2, and good luck burning enough methane for your water.

Archived