I Do Hope Next Year We'll See Some Changes To Combat

Going to get a lot of confusion emotes on this post, but i might as well give some thoughts on this. Maybe you'll have some better opinions.

In both DS and DST, combat is one of the many things players will be doing for survival, whatever it be for food, self defense and gathering resources. Two of the issues i find with combat is kiting and lack of different ways of playing.

Most enemies and bosses can easily be defeated with knowing when to back away, i can easily understand this with normal enemies. But more tougher enemies and bosses should have something to at least counter this. Whatever it be AOE attacks or bigger range. At least something that could make the player stay on their toes.

With lack of ways to play, all weapons players will be using are hambats and dark swords, i do hope their could be weapons that will be announced which will give players variety with how they handle combat. Maybe some decent range weapons.

Again, may get a lot of confusion emotes, but let me hear your opinions on the matter.

49 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I would love the cooldown mechanic from the forge brought over. It's fun watching our characters fly in the air.:wilson_ecstatic:

Was thinking of adding that into the post, though they might be a bit OP unless they totally change combat. Be really cool to see as endgame content.

1 hour ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

The weapons and attacks from Forge seem a most obvious route here imo. Or a starting point at least.

Heck, some of the mobs in the Forge were actually kinda smart, or had unique attacks. Bring some of that over and you could give the players crazy abilities while keeping combat engaging.

11 minutes ago, Wilson_pl said:

*clears throat*

Hold on for a sec there:

I literally just posted something like this before.

No you didn't. Your post is about changing the game entirely with stamina and things like that. I'm pretty sure all this post is about better range weapons/ more variety

After forge I kinda missed some weapon's effects. When Klei first time announced characters rework then I though maybe we will get something like "special ability" during fight completely unique for all characters. It could be rechargeable and player could activate it by pressing certain button on keyboard.

It could be connected to special items too. It's just an idea but I imagined it like those examples:

Wigfrid with Battle Spear could activate fury attack on single enemy which could attack continuously and fast like 6-8 times and made an enemy stunned during this time.

Wolfgang with Ham Bat could do a simple "SMASH" attack which would work similar to Forge's Hammer and do area attack.

But I feel like adding new abilities unique for characters for battles would be less interesting compared to adding abilities to existing or new weapons. Of course when characters are more unique then we would switch them less just for their special items like it is common with Winona and Warly this time. Player would stack with character that fits him the most during fight I guess. 

But it would be more limited then just "special Weapons". Even if we could get abilities from forge it would be nice.

1 hour ago, Ornge said:

No you didn't. Your post is about changing the game entirely with stamina and things like that. I'm pretty sure all this post is about better range weapons/ more variety

Did you ever realise that below there was a a message that there wasn't anything off the table to improve, that the ideas were a work in progress and can be improved by your own ideas? And there indeed was a lot of room for ideas. Your ideas. I was curious about what you think about all of mine, and I was even more curious about your ideas. Everyone was for some reason extremly passive towards my topic. Unlike here, where people happily participate and introduce their own ideas.

Why is that so? Is that because I was the one to introduce that topic? Because of something I was doing in the past? Come on, people, move on. Almost every time I am the one trying to introduce a topic for people to actively participate, there is little contribution.

I can resume my ideas here, so you will be able to read my intentions, not your interpretation of them:

Stamina is kind of a mechanic that makes a character exhausted if they fight without a short break. It drains slowly by attacking and maybe taking damage. Drain rate can be accellerated by being hungry. Regenerates a bit faster than it's draining by: not swinging your weapon for a few seconds, not taking damage. Can be accellerated by having your belly filled at a right amount. Regenerates really fast after standing still for 2 seconds. So the only way you can get exhausted is by giving your character a legitimate workout.

Different actions. Meant to add some abilities to make the combat a bit easier. Parrying (like in forge, with Blacksmith's Edge), blocking (shielding yourself with your arms, if you have no weapon equipped), pushing smaller creatures away, pushing them a bit more so they may trip and fall which makes them need to get back up, charging. All these with a neat, but reasonable cooldown. Selected by either a binded keyboard button or from a neat, tiny menu. Pushing is ineffective on bosses.

Different types of weapons was meant to add a variety to all of the weapons. Because currently almost all the weapons had the same properties, only damage varies. And only a few have some interesting perks. The varieties would include: different swinging speed (with a little difference, maybe of 0.1 or 0.15 seconds?), different animations for swinging, and maybe an alternate, stronger attack with a cooldown like in Forge?

Randomized attack period. By saying "randomized" I did not mean "so random that you will either get a deerclops that only attacked three times or a machine gun dragonfly". I meant adding a tiny variety to attack period of mobs, with a limit. Example? If a deerclops usually swings every 2 seconds, then he may swing at you in 1.855 seconds, or he may not, he may swing at you in 2.155 seconds. You can't know, so it will make kiting a little bit more difficult to execute.

Alternate attacks. For mobs. This idea was meant to add some variety to enemies we fight with. A good example of this was a laser deerclops. Let's just say I was not-so-good at dodging his laser. The purpose of this is engaging you more in the combat and learning how to fight, trying, and maybe succeeding. The attacks would not be as hard to dodge, it would only require a bit more of your attention and work on your part. Some of the examples originally included in the post: 

For spiders: the default chomp, and a new attack, a quicker, but weaker stab with the legs.

For deerclops: his default strike with the ice coming out of the ground, and new ones, both weaker but faster: a vertical, long ranged swing avoided by running to the side and a horizontal, short ranged swing avoided by simply running away.

The AI. Come on. This isn't SIRI or alexa. This isn't even a real AI. This are just a few lines of code that make a creature learn which attacks work better on you, if you have a weakness of some kind. The creature checks which attacks worked the best, and then that attack is more frequent during the fight. Or something like scripted tactics for mobs. Examples: Spiders sorrounding you and attacking you from every direction, chess pieces rearranging, so that knights shield bishops, which then attack you from a safe distance? Possibilities are endless.

After squeezing these into a relatively short resume, I hope that now you know that these ideas DO NOT "change the game entirely". They are just meant to add some variety to that aspect of the game in particular. Making combat a bit more difficult, but giving players the abilities to counter these difficulties, to some extent. Don't exaggerate.

And I have nothing against more ranged weapons. I am in fact looking forward to seeing any new content related to combat.

7 minutes ago, Wilson_pl said:

Stamina is kind of a mechanic that makes a character exhausted if they fight without a short break. It drains slowly by attacking and maybe taking damage. Drain rate can be accellerated by being hungry. Regenerates a bit faster than it's draining by: not swinging your weapon for a few seconds, not taking damage. Can be accellerated by having your belly filled at a right amount. Regenerates really fast after standing still for 2 seconds. So the only way you can get exhausted is by giving your character a legitimate workout.

Literally noone gets exhausted when they are fighting a literally mythical being that can summon dead and shadows.

just why?

1 hour ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Literally noone gets exhausted when they are fighting a literally mythical being that can summon dead and shadows.

just why?

I honestly don't really know anymore. I just wanted to give an idea to make characters a bit more human, meaning that they need to rest from time to time.

I had an idea lately, just like the Winter Feat's Deerclops

The new creatures could have long/quick directional attack instead of range attack all around them, so you don’t have to G O  B A C K at every attack of the mob, and instead turn around them to keep fighting, what do you think about it?

1 hour ago, ADM said:

I had an idea lately, just like the Winter Feat's Deerclops

The new creatures could have long/quick directional attack instead of range attack all around them, so you don’t have to G O  B A C K at every attack of the mob, and instead turn around them to keep fighting, what do you think about it?

The thing that you are talking about is a rework of hitboxes. Attack of a deerclops swinging is only effective within the range of his arms, so instead of his (and every other mob's, duh) attacks being just spheres around him, the attacks are dealing damage only within the range of his arms. So basically his hitbox during the attack only extends forward, where he is swinging, instead of just expanding everywhere.

I like the idea, and I'm in favor of it.

6 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

well you make a mess while they magically grow a leg from eating the pie

Not to mention doing all this while in the heat of combat, with absolutely zero chances of choking

On another note...

I've polled this before and i'll say it: most ranged weapons aren't too reliable or interesting to use and need a rework. 

2 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

most ranged weapons aren't too reliable or interesting to use and need a rework. 

Yea, reason I've pushed for a combat update for so long. Good options for ranged/longer range weapons could make combat interesting, and mobs would need new tools to be able to handle those new options.

The Forge showed that Klei can handle both.

Archived