One tile slickster pen

41 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Uh oh, something happened.

Can you show us the room overlay with the tile count?

On 23.8.2019 at 8:23 AM, Zarquan said:

There is no upper limit on this ranch!  I can just keep piling on more and more slicksters!  They don't have pathing, so they don't add that much lag to the game.

Can somebody confirm this? Sounds plausible, but might not be true, because the path seeking algo fires up anyway regardless of space available.

6 hours ago, Andz said:

I will do this when I get back to my game.  I did upload a save before if you want to see it now.

6 hours ago, Andz said:

Can somebody confirm this? Sounds plausible, but might not be true, because the path seeking algo fires up anyway regardless of space available.

Of course there is an actual upper limit, as the computer will eventually run out of memory and the game will crash.  About the lag, I have not been experiencing much lag as a result of this ranch as far as I can tell, except that creatures appear to be slower.

I believe I have found the cause of my critters all drowning.  If I pause the game for long enough, the critter AI catches up and they all decided to expel their waste simultaneously.  This caused the petroleum levels to rise to a point where they could no longer stand on it and fell in to the petroleum and drowned. 

To prevent this, I have replaced a tile with a mesh tile to allow the petroleum to drain faster and added another pneumatic door for them to stand on, replacing the ladder.  However, I want my dupes to have access to the eggs, so I gave them a new access point underneath (from the crude oil spout).

I also added a bead pump on the right side to overpressurize the room with CO2, which may or may not have been the cause of the drowning (indirectly, but that should be fixed).   This is because I currently do not have enough slicksters to eat all my CO2.

For those who want to know, there are currently 568 slicksters in the pen and 147 slickster eggs.

22 hours ago, Andz said:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.f5c5003b6769df6310468eaf1b1db568.png

The room is snakey to get the required 12 tiles of size to avoid confined.  It doesn't qualify as a ranch, as it doesn't have a grooming station.  It is purely automated and requires no dupe labor (except I guess crushing egg shells and cooking bbq.  When eggs are laid by the slicksters in the pen, the eggs fall through the pneumatic doors so they are different room, avoiding cramped.  Also, the extra eggs from my egg producing ranches are swept in to this room by autosweepers.

image.thumb.png.7d2b89673dc99d959190ff1921f77604.png

image.thumb.png.444d5008213a8b21656acae48591ca22.png

10 hours ago, Zarquan said:

I also added a bead pump on the right side to overpressurize the room with CO2

I've been waiting for this addition, as I knew you would eventually add it.  I love this build.  Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna play with this as well.  I've gotten bored of hatches and pacus. 

Archived