What 'useless' items you want to see buffed?

Some of the items in DST are rather useless and never made, it'd be nice if they get a little buff to compete with the 'meta' items. What items do you want to see get buffed?

For me it's the Tail o' Three Cats. This item has so much potential as a semi-ranged weapon. But the cost is too expensive (x3 Tentacle Spots) which is quite rare and has many other better uses. It'd be nice if the recipe requires Tentacle Spikes instead. It makes sense because the whip actually has little spikes on it.

1 hour ago, -Variant said:

I wanna be buffed.

I hear they sell some special shakes for that.

I wish thulecite tools would have more usage but as of now

The pick/axe has meh properties to justify going all the way down into the ruins and making a few. Even for toadstool it's meh, and as of now completely irrelevant with moon axes. You want to farm rocks? A gold pick will do. Wood? Bearger, deerclops, maxwell if you're ok with character changing, all will do better then the pick/axe.

The club does good damage, but compared to the dark sword, is costlier to make, along with having to go to the ruins. It does shine on characters with natural attack reduction as the tentacles do fixed damage but even then it's barely better. I guess it's ok as an early walking cane if you rush ruins.

The crowns top tier. Nothing bad here, the chest armor however leaves a lot to be desired... far far more expensive for.... being a crown with no force field for your chest. It traded the force field for some small sanity regen (3.3 a minute)

While we're on the topic of magic when is the nightmare fueled fire pit gonna see some improvements. All it is as of now is a fancy firepit. I mean I guess that's good enough but considering it's fueled by the remains of the physical manifestations of your mind I thought it would do more then just give you a small headache 

31 minutes ago, Plushical said:

I don't think I've ever even seen healing items be used by anyone in a public server before, so those could probably use some justice.

Any idea on how the healing items should be buffed? More healing? Easier recipe?

- Night armor: should probably be cheaper (2 papyrus instead of 3) and have less sanity penalty (5/min, same as dusk and night)

- Bat-Bat: I think it should be cheaper to make, right now its ridiculous. A living log, 2 nightmare fuel and 4 bat wings is more than enough IMHO, as bat wings will be the limitant since they are RNG related drops.

- Telelocator staff: Drop its price to just one purple gem instead of 2 (rest of the materials the same). The focus already takes 3 more gems to use properly.

- Grass armor: Probably an unpopular opinion here but I think the grass armor should be a crafting requisite for log suit, instead of the ropes. The reasoning is that you can get more out of your resources that way: craft a grass armor, use it until almost broken, then add 8 logs and make a log suit. Or don't, and just craft it to make the log suit straight away. But the option is there.

- The end is nigh: currently the only uses for this book is to either charge WX or to grief. I'd rather it had some actual solo fighting usage, like stunlocking enemies for a bit or increasing its damage against mobs somewhat (or both). I know wicker does not need more buffs but I still felt I had to get it out of my chest.

2 hours ago, Ezaroth said:

But the cost is too expensive (x3 Tentacle Spots) which is quite rare and has many other better uses. It'd be nice if the recipe requires Tentacle Spikes instead. It makes sense because the whip actually has little spikes on it.

I don't see how Tentacle Spots have better uses. The Rain Coat and the Feather Hat aren't bad, but it's something you only need to make once. On Tentacles is good and you'd need a lot of, but it renews Tentacle Spots at the same time. So to me the issue in the Tail o' Three Cats recipe is the Cat Tails, they're way harder to renew since you're limited by the number of Hollow Stumps in the map.

About "useless" items, here's a few that come to mind:

- Breezy Vest is way too expensive for what it gives. The sanity is ok, the winter insulation is laughable.

- Rabbit Earmuffs would be fine to me if you didn't need a Science Machine for them. They seem like something easy enough to make if you don't have better options.

- Ice Cube is weird. I wanna like it because it has really good summer insulation, but the wetness means you'll quickly go insane, which is annoying (but I guess that's the cost of using it). The movement speed reduction makes it even less appealing.

- Winona's Spotlight is something I've never seen anyone build. It shouldn't consume as much power as a Catapult and it shouldn't consume power during the day (though the Generators still consume a little bit of power even when not powering anything). The range of the light is fine but the light radius is way too small, it feels annoying to use.

- Bucket-o-poop is an interesting way to use Bone Shards, but the Log cost is what gets me. It's way too much for what you get, if you're gonna spend time farming for that wood, you might as well just get Manure instead.

Now for more "late game" items which could definitely need a little buff:

- As someone else mentioned, the Pick/Axe. It isn't expensive, but it barely helps when chopping/mining and it's too much of a hassle to use since you have to craft it in the Ruins.

- Another item that was mentioned is the Thulecite Club. It's way too expensive for less than Dark Sword damage and mediocre durability. The speed boost is irrelevant and the tentacles don't seem to even do anything (it feels like they're bugged).

- On the topic of Ruins items, The Lazy Forager is an item I love on paper, but it has too little durability for its cost. It's totally an item I'd use all the time if it was easier to renew it.

- Mushroom Lights, like the Spotlight, is something I never see anyone make, which isn't surprising. They both offer stationary (in a way) light, but the maintenance they both require makes them annoying to use (especially when it's easier to have a Lantern/Miner Hat on you to counter Darkness). The problem isn't fighting Toadstool, if the lamps were actually good people would actually bother killing it. For example players actually bother with killing Bee Queen who I'd argue is more miserable to fight, but has actually good rewards.

That's everything that comes to mind for now! It's something interesting to discuss, but Klei has a tendency to not touch existing items, unless they affect something new (for example the recent Insulated Pack buff came from Warly bringing the Chef Pouch in DST). Having items constantly change every few updates would be annoying (like it happens in games sometimes), but I do wish there was a one time "Quality of Life" update that changed a few things around.

25 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

- Night armor: should probably be cheaper (2 papyrus instead of 3) and have less sanity penalty (5/min, same as dusk and night)

- Bat-Bat: I think it should be cheaper to make, right now its ridiculous. A living log, 2 nightmare fuel and 4 bat wings is more than enough IMHO, as bat wings will be the limitant since they are RNG related drops.

- Telelocator staff: Drop its price to just one purple gem instead of 2 (rest of the materials the same). The focus already takes 3 more gems to use properly.

- Grass armor: Probably an unpopular opinion here but I think the grass armor should be a crafting requisite for log suit, instead of the ropes. The reasoning is that you can get more out of your resources that way: craft a grass armor, use it until almost broken, then add 8 logs and make a log suit. Or don't, and just craft it to make the log suit straight away. But the option is there.

- The end is nigh: currently the only uses for this book is to either charge WX or to grief. I'd rather it had some actual solo fighting usage, like stunlocking enemies for a bit or increasing its damage against mobs somewhat (or both). I know wicker does not need more buffs but I still felt I had to get it out of my chest.

• Night Armor: It feels like there's a huge gap between the difficulty of between crafting a Dark Sword and a Night Armor. Changing the 3x Papyrus to 2x Papyrus or 1x Papyrus + 1x Grass Armor might be fine, but I didn't use the armor that much so far so I can't judge yet.
  • Bat Bat: Collecting Batilisk Wings isn't actually that hard if you aren't doing the same mistake everyone else does. In the last games I easily managed it to get about 5 Batilisk Wings per day. The Purple Gems might be the problem here but on the other hand it's more like trading 1 Purple Gem for 0.5k health, which does not spoil over time.
  • Telelocator Staff: I feel like the cost is ok and since the last update you can use the Telelocator to abandon a ship without penalties (besides sanity) or to find the moon island if you're lucky. I'd rather say that the Telelocator Focus is bit too expensive, but again with the introduction of the moon island it might be ok since it's the only way to move bigger mobs.

Cat Cap. I understand it's a downgrade of Tam o' Shanter, but seriously. It's insulation factor is the same as rabbit earmuffs and the crafting cost is too expensive, since cat tails are basically limited RNG drops, so it's not worth it.

It should be cheaper imo, using 2 or 3 cat tails instead of 4

2 hours ago, Ezaroth said:

Any idea on how the healing items should be buffed? More healing? Easier recipe?

I think they're fine and easy to make. Ashes, stones, even spider gland when we go for silk, we can have plenty of these ressources. How to make this 1st one easier ?

Then honey poultice, 1 papyrus is maybe expensive, making papyrus is expensive, but with time you can have a lot. I have actually 80 of them. Honey is not a problem and my base is near the swamp. Reeds run is something easy, fast, 1/4 of a day, maybe 1/5, every few days.

I used most of them into the ruins. No spoil on this items is something great, then no need a lot of foods when I went to clear the ruins. 

I think there was a lot of moments where I used them, without thinking "what could I cook for my health?". They're here in a chest, its fast and easy.

Papyrus cost is maybe one thing to change, as we can see people talking about Night armor. 3 reeds instead of 4 ? 

Glommer's Wings are just fuel in DST.

I still don't quite understand why they removed Old Bell. It would be a lot of fun and we do have more chaotic Willow already.

BUT...

I don't wanna talk about Old Bell again. There was a lot of threads like this in the past. I'm sure everyone agree that those wings should have some usage even other then Bell itself. If not then remove them and just replace with one more Glommer's Goop after Glommer's death. At least this pink stuff is stackable.

4 hours ago, Flash.Jonathan said:

Oh the dreams I have of the One Man Band to play Sea Shanty while on a boat. It might not be a "buff" in the sense of being more practical, but it sure will make it a more popular item to craft for that feature alone.

Petition to make the one man band have no use besides playing music, infinite durability, and allow the player to upload and to play MIDI files.

2 hours ago, Viktor234 said:
  • Bat Bat: Collecting Batilisk Wings isn't actually that hard if you aren't doing the same mistake everyone else does. In the last games I easily managed it to get about 5 Batilisk Wings per day. The Purple Gems might be the problem here but on the other hand it's more like trading 1 Purple Gem for 0.5k health, which does not spoil over time.

What are these mistakes you speak of? I wanna use the Bat Bat more reliably, I think it's a cool weapon.

2 hours ago, Viktor234 said:
  • Telelocator Staff: I feel like the cost is ok and since the last update you can use the Telelocator to abandon a ship without penalties (besides sanity) or to find the moon island if you're lucky. I'd rather say that the Telelocator Focus is bit too expensive, but again with the introduction of the moon island it might be ok since it's the only way to move bigger mobs.

I believe they made it so you can't randomly telelocate yourself on the moon island (but if you have a powered focus it still works).

2 hours ago, zoom21 said:

Cat Cap. I understand it's a downgrade of Tam o' Shanter, but seriously. It's insulation factor is the same as rabbit earmuffs and the crafting cost is too expensive, since cat tails are basically limited RNG drops, so it's not worth it.

It should be cheaper imo, using 2 or 3 cat tails instead of 4

I'm not disagreeing with what you said, just wanted to point out that Cat Tails aren't limited as long as you don't break the Hollow Stumps. After running out of Catcoons they eventually regenerate (DST only).

Not an item but I think beefalo taming should take less busy work for what it gives you. I only use it to move chess pieces and a walking cane just beats it for speed with 1000% less effort.

Let compass show people on the map simply by having it in the inventory. Nobody is going to use this without coordination and if you are coordinated it's basically negated by using chat. I wish there was a structure that you can build that does what global positions did but with upkeep to it's balanced(although I don't really think enabling social play should be locked behind busy work but whatever).

Winona's spotlight is dooks

Farms are basically inferior to berry bushes without a warly, and even with a warly require way too much of extensive management that it basically becomes un-fun for whoever is managing the farms since it eats up all their time. Have advanced farms be more automated, let them have multiple crops per cycle or just overhaul them mechanically to make them good. They're bad early game and take tons of time late game, and it's basically only for warly or dragon pie farming. Less rng on seeds would be a good start so you don't get ****ty carrots for most of your haul.

Certain crockpot recipes aren't really worth crafting. Looking at you Stuffed Eggplant, fish tacos, and unagi. I'm sure there are more that I could list as well. I would much rather make more specific crockpot recipes give more hunger, since they are more restrictive on what you use to craft them. Though a lot of these recipes allow lots of twigs in the recipe, they rarely seem to break the total hunger and sometimes health gain from just eating the ingredients.

For instance, the cheapest recipe for a stuffed eggplant is 1 eggplant 1 vegetable and 2 twigs. It gives 37.5 hunger 3 health and 5 sanity. If you cook the eggplant you get 20 health and 25 hunger. If the vegetable is a carrot or carrot-like in hunger you should get 12.5 more hunger and health depending on the vegetable. So if you eat the ingredients they'll give the same amount of hunger and more health with only giving 5 less sanity. See what I mean?

And of course there is the other problem of certain foods being overshadowed by others. If you have the ingredients for the cheapest recipe of fish tacos (1 fish 1 corn 2 twigs, why not just give one more filler and get fishsticks? They give 20 more health than fish tacos and take 4 more days to rot.

I guess my point is I personally would prefer if crockpot recipes rewarded you more for recipes with specific and rarer ingredients. If they lose the extra twig filler slots but gain 37.5 or more hunger it would still be better than the current state they are in now. It would make them at least viable. But for now it would be better to just eat the ingredients or make meatballs.

2 hours ago, HobNob said:

I'm not disagreeing with what you said, just wanted to point out that Cat Tails aren't limited as long as you don't break the Hollow Stumps. After running out of Catcoons they eventually regenerate (DST only).

I didn't know they regenerate in DST, huh. Everyday you learn something new

How bout the Night Light? It'd be nice to have a mid-late game light source that isn't hot garbage. Klei could make it so one piece of nightmare fuel would light it for a day or something, and I'd be happy.

8 minutes ago, Canis said:

How bout the Night Light? It'd be nice to have a mid-late game light source that isn't hot garbage. Klei could make it so one piece of nightmare fuel would light it for a day or something, and I'd be happy.

This. Stationary lighting options have needed some variety for a while, with light being so core to the game...and the spotlight didn't quite cut it.
I still think that the spotlight needs a buff as well.

Winona's tape being able to fix any non-gem equipment would make some of the more obnoxious to craft items worthwhile. I mean...once you're through the challenge of making the items in the first place, replacing them is just tedium. If the tedium were more accessible, it'd be more appealing to actually deal with it.

4 hours ago, Ermac__ said:

Let compass show people on the map simply by having it in the inventory. Nobody is going to use this without coordination and if you are coordinated it's basically negated by using chat. I wish there was a structure that you can build that does what global positions did but with upkeep to it's balanced(although I don't really think enabling social play should be locked behind busy work but whatever).

IMO it should work like the Compass mod. After you craft it, it becomes a part of your HUD, not your inventory. Unlike the mod, you have to craft it before it shows up obviously.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

I always thought they should work similar to Maxwell's Lights in Adventure Mode, igniting when you come within certain range of them. However unlike Maxwell's Lights, you'd have to keep them fueled.

48 minutes ago, The Letter W said:

I always thought they should work similar to Maxwell's Lights in Adventure Mode, igniting when you come within certain range of them. However unlike Maxwell's Lights, you'd have to keep them fueled.

I had an idea where they would kind of be like the ultimate way to light up your base. You add fuel to one and it lights up all the night lights within a certain distance from the one you lit.

Archived