Recommended Posts

cblack    53
18 hours ago, Jackblac said:

The most unbalanced gate gift in my opinion is 3 tonns of fertilizer. That is 600 uses of farm station. The normal sandstone start has less than 1 ton of fertilizer. 

With the way fertilizer is in the game right now, it actually hurts me to have it.  Why?  Dupes will use it even on tiles that have plants that can't grow.  For instance, I have bristle blossoms in hydroponic farms, with lights turned off and the farm tiles disabled, but that's not enough to stop dupes from wasting their time fertilizing them!  So it's just duplicant time down the drain, and I think the only 'fix' is to completely remove the blossom, which I'd rather not do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
miauly    116
1 hour ago, cblack said:

So it's just duplicant time down the drain, and I think the only 'fix' is to completely remove the blossom, which I'd rather not do.

At a risk of being obvious - lock your bristles behind a door maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maradyne    3,472
5 hours ago, SpreadsheetGamr said:

I did a forum search before posting this and was surprised nothing came up.  Can't remember what I searched for but now having done a more proper google search I can see there has been a lot of discussion.

The forum search function doesn't bring up archived posts; there're also some conditions where threads automatically archive, though other, longer-abandoned topics don't. Still haven't quite figured out how that works.
Basically it's common for stuff to get buried into oblivion around here.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cblack    53
28 minutes ago, miauly said:

At a risk of being obvious - lock your bristles behind a door maybe?

Then how do they ever get harvested?  I've got one greenhouse for them, and I turn the lights on/off to match demand for them.

Either way, it doesn't change my view that fertilizer seems grossly overrated by most.  Maybe if you have a ton of dupes it's worthwhile, but then you have to have a way to get fertilizer without the gate as well, as it's unreliable.  This means you need an endless source of dirt, and other than a terrestrial planet, there's two: Pips or composting.

The problem with composting is you're likely limited on practical things to feed into it, though maybe with enough water, CO2 geysers, and regolith you can make it worthwhile.  If you're doing pips on the other hand, you need triple the amount of compost heaps you'd otherwise have to get the same output.  It all seems like way more hassle than it's worth just to speed up growth a little, when you can easily just plant more of something.

...and if you still feel it's "overpowered", you don't have to accept it when it's offered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobucles    298

The fertilizer package is indeed extremely powerful. Every 5kg of fertilizer gives one free cycle's worth of plant food, so 600 extra cycles of plant growth is a pretty efficient trade. The downside is that it's a drain on dupe labor, especially if farming stations are scattered around the map. It will provide a steady supply of farming and machine XP (because applying the fertilizer is a machine task?!).

Care packages are very hit and miss. Some are extremely useful, and some are kind of junk. It's all the roll of the dice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lurve    367
8 hours ago, SpreadsheetGamr said:

 

@Lurve Your post was fairly condescending and didn't really address any of the points I'm making.  I'm sure you know that clothing is not mutually exclusive with exo-suits, so I'm not sure why you're trying to conflate things there.

Condescending, huh?  Better call the tone police!

If you don't know why I'm saying exosuits obviate existing clothing options, you still have a lot to learn about the game.  You should do that instead of just stomping your foot and demanding respect, it'll work better.

As for the rest of your points, they've been addressed many times in the thread.  It's a singleplayer game.  No one's reaching into your computer and making you print out that drecklet.  If you don't like what you've been offered to print, you can reject it (actually... you DO know you can reject it, right?  It's the "refuse all" button at the bottom).   If you want different stuff, you can mod it.  You can customize your game to any degree you want to make it the ideal experience for you.  If you don't like that answer, tough tiddies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moonkis    152
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, cblack said:

I have bristle blossoms in hydroponic farms, with lights turned off and the farm tiles disabled

Can you not shut off access to the farm room via automation? It's doesn't fix the issue but allows for a work around at least.

 

2 hours ago, Lurve said:

It's a singleplayer game

So balance, or lack of balance options are not important?

2 hours ago, Lurve said:

If you don't like what you've been offered to print, you can reject it

2 hours ago, Lurve said:

you can mod it

This is like a sledge-hammer to a nail.

The suggestion (binary use/don't use) doesn't address the actual problem (non-binary in nature), at all. Is this the end all be all of any discussion surrounding balance or improvements to the game? Don't like it, don't use it. Don't have it, add it yourself.

Edited by Moonkis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lurve    367
46 minutes ago, Moonkis said:

This is like a sledge-hammer to a nail.

The suggestion (binary use/don't use) doesn't address the actual problem (non-binary in nature), at all. Is this the end all be all of any discussion surrounding balance or improvements to the game? Don't like it, don't use it. Don't have it, add it yourself.

It's all that unconstructive discussions merit, yes.  The "actual problem" here is a simple assertion that care packages are too good and should be changed for everyone, with curative tablets held up as one representative example, followed by whining about people's tone.  "Pod is OP nerf plz" should get a "no u" in return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lurve said:

Condescending, huh?  Better call the tone police!

If you don't know why I'm saying exosuits obviate existing clothing options, you still have a lot to learn about the game.  You should do that instead of just stomping your foot and demanding respect, it'll work better.

As for the rest of your points, they've been addressed many times in the thread.  It's a singleplayer game.  No one's reaching into your computer and making you print out that drecklet.  If you don't like what you've been offered to print, you can reject it (actually... you DO know you can reject it, right?  It's the "refuse all" button at the bottom).   If you want different stuff, you can mod it.  You can customize your game to any degree you want to make it the ideal experience for you.  If you don't like that answer, tough tiddies.

 

1 hour ago, Lurve said:

It's all that unconstructive discussions merit, yes.  The "actual problem" here is a simple assertion that care packages are too good and should be changed for everyone, with curative tablets held up as one representative example, followed by whining about people's tone.  "Pod is OP nerf plz" should get a "no u" in return.

Saying that the OP is using the tone policing fallacy to try and ignore your points would only be valid if you actually had raised any points to discuss. You're argument is effectively, "Nope. You're wrong. You're point of view isn't worth talking about. Go away. Buhbye."

I agree that you're being unnecessarily harsh, and you seem strangely emotionally invested in this topic. It's almost like you got into an argument about it in a different thread or forum, got really heated about it there, and now you're confusing OP with this other person you were fighting with. I haven't seen any examples of OP "stomping their foot and demanding respect", for example. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lurve    367
1 hour ago, Erasmus Crowley said:

You're argument is effectively, "Nope. You're wrong. You're point of view isn't worth talking about. Go away. Buhbye."

Exactly the opposite, actually.  My game is heavily modded.  There's lots of stuff in the vanilla game that aren't quite the way I'd prefer, but I have the power to change most of it to my satisfaction.  As does the OP.  My argument is that he should learn to use that power himself, if the existing options don't suffice.

And as that's like the third time I've said it, I think I've said it enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lafara    28

reporting : lately printing pod give me 3 drecklet eggs and 8 pacu.

hooray ^o^ reed fiber finally coming in. along with 8000g egg shells per 25 cycles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, one of the arguments against changing the drop list is... that the current food poisoning/disease system basically has no effect.

Doesn't that mean medicines can be removed from the drop list with little to no consequence?

Personally I'm hopeful that the disease system is tweaked again so that it is more impactful, but that's off topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookiematico    11

In reverse it also means it can stay on the list with little to no consequence. For now it acts more like: hey don't get bored , here are some stuff that actually exists in the game, check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now