Szczuku

Should dst take inspiration from other games?

Should dst take inspiration from other games?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Should dst take inspiration from other games?

• Yes
    • No

Szczuku    8,952

This is less a "I want this in the game, now" and more of a "Let's create a discussion and see what the community thinks" -kind of thread so yeah.

A while ago I heard "Terraria is 2d Minecraft and Don't Starve/Together is Tim Burton's Minecraft" and that got me thinking: What all these "minecraft-like" games have in common. Survival and sandbox (though dst has more survival than sandbox as you can't respawn and reshape the lands). And then that got me thinking even more: what if dst took inspiration from these games.

And so here we are and here are some of my ideas

In Terraria after you defeat the Wall of Flesh boss your world enters hardmode- enemies are tougher but loot is better and there's more content to explore. Defeating the Fuelweaver should act the same in dst. In fact imo the Lunar islands should be created after you defeat the Fuelwaver as I've heard a theory that Lunar Islands were created as a "Moon"'s reaction to recent events.

Now what that "dst hardmode" could have in terms of content:

-Lunar Islands as I said previously

-Zombie and Slime enemies (since both Minecraft and Terraria have those)

-Tougher sanity since Them are approaching and all that stuff

-Some other future biomes existing with new resources and mobs ofc

-New weather effects like Tsunami, Blood Moon, Snowstorms etc

-Pigs developing, using tools and weapons

-Most mobs now have smarter AI

-Simple Bosses like Deerclops, Goose and Bearger would get upgraded (new attacks, better stats etc)

Discuss 

• Like 2

Yukanur    3,383

did you know
ancient civilization lore take from dwemer lore from the elder scroll game.
-both race live in underground.
-expert with magic.
-both of them extinct cause of themshelves by overusing power (ancient civilization use nightmare fuel while dwemer use magic).
-have their own version of material (ancient civilization is thulecite and dwemer is dwarven metal)
-their remaining resource can be used for whoever find their ruins.

• Like 4

Fill-Lips    280

Aren't half of these points already a thing?

• Lunar island point here
  • Zombie hounds on the lunar islands. (I don't know how slimes would fit into dst...)
  • Tougher sanity? You mean them white gesalt things?
  • Isn't this the lunar islands again? Although it would be nice to have some of the mobs eventually migrate to the main land...
  • Yeah, I'd like new weather effects too, frog rain is the only wacky one and its quite awful.
  • You can put hats on them... It would be nice if we could give spears though.
  • The Ai is fine, though a speed buff would make them feel a lot harder...
  • Winterfest deerclops? Misery Toadstool??
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Frashaw27    337

I do admit that the world should become harder and more expansive once you kill the fuelweaver, you shouldn't just add elements to the games that are simular to it to make it more in line with them.

• Like 3

Plushical    773
2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I've heard a theory that Lunar Islands were created as a "Moon"'s reaction to recent events.

Not a theory, I think. Seems like more of a fact at the moment.

Notice how in RoT and ANR's announcements, the phrase "Charlie's machinations" are used. The definition of that word is a plot or scheme. About that- from ANR part 3 description:

"-and what purpose does she have in mind for the formidable being at the center of the Ruins?"

She intends for it to be killed so that the gateway is activated, allowing her to access its magic as seen in Forge trailer, to knock part of the moon off so that it's accessible to the survivors.

Spoiler

IMG_5971.thumb.PNG.e6ca6dfe0a9749ab6244414fc392c334.PNG

Her motive for this is also explained in the RoT announcement: "there may be a silver lining: their minds and horizons will be expanded under the sublime light of an ancient moon." She just wants to enlighten the survivors, whatever that means. The moon is a part of the plan.

About the main point, any type of hard mode sounds pretty fricking cool, but I'm not so sure about adding zombies and slimes just because other games have them... and the normal bosses should just have new attacks by default. Those kiting patterns get a bit tedious after 4 years y'know?

• Like 4

Szczuku    8,952

Tbh I listed the slime and zombie thingy cuz I was courious how'd they look in dst style

• Thanks 1

minespatch    60,361
13 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

DST's Wall of Flesh should be our good old pal Ancient Fuelweaver, he's literally guarding the Gateway,

Sorry, no Tim Curry version I could find.:wilson_dorky:

Szczuku    8,952
1 hour ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

I feel like DST's Wall of Flesh should be our good old pal Ancient Fuelweaver

Yeah, that's what I said

2 hours ago, metallichydra said:

where is the "yes, but not much / often" choice?

You can type it here in the comments? Cuz that's what they're for

Poebus    418
Posted (edited)

i feel like they could rework building/decoration system,

dont starve has such promising grahpic, but its hard to make something creative like minecraft/terraria you mentioned

also there is alot people wants to try out/do some experiments. so official creative mod is a welcome for me

Edited by Poebus

thomas4845    520
Posted (edited)

I DON'T THINK TAKING INSPIRATION FROM OTHER GAMES IS A GOOD IDEA SIMPLY BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT THERE'S NOT ALOT OF GAMES THAT COULD HAVE ANYTHING THAT COULD HAVE A TRAIT WHICH COULD BE USED FOR, BECAUSE DON'T STARVE  HAS   A UNIQUE DESIGN BASED OF NEVER ENDING PERIL, AS IT WANTS YOU TO BE ON EDGE AT ALL TIMES

BUT I DO LIKE THE IDEA OF HARDMODE 

Edited by thomas4845

metallichydra    2,062

i would like some stuff from terraria:

expert mode: so "good players" (people from the klei forum except me) can play, while also allowing "noobs" (me) to play the game.

hardmode: because dont starve together have evolved from "dont starve"to "beat all the bosses"

• Like 1

UraniumXI    6
45 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

hardmode: because dont starve together have evolved from "dont starve"to "beat all the bosses"

To be fair, the game makes it pretty difficult for you to starve (if you're even semi-experienced), and there are other things that eventually outshined it in difficulty, unless they wanna make food gathering harder. The name could NEVER be changed though, it just fits too well!

Catteflyterpill    1,000

Um, this is a such a weird question. Of course games are gonna be inspired by other games, because games are fun. Dev's are gonna put in things they like and things they need based on user request, which is gonna be based on things we like. And we're gonna like things that we've seen before and enjoyed. But basing it off just 'Terraria' and 'Minecraft' because of similar genres seems like a really weird suggestion. I don't understand what the purpose of this post is?  It's like asking 'should we add more stuff to don't starve, and have the stuff be things you would find a in a survival/rogue-like game?'

Russian Philin    7,206

Simple question:Why? :p

[Need more original content,I think. It's good to be inspired by other games, but it seems to me that Klei need to focus on their ideas, although now it is difficult] 

Szczuku    8,952
1 hour ago, Catteflyterpill said:

I don't understand what the purpose of this post is?

I made a poll so that the community could say if they like the idea of other games' content in dst

Then I gave an example of a Terraria's mechanic that could be added to dst- a hardmode triggered by beating a tough boss.

And then i gave some ideas of how that hardmode could work.

I wanted to both see if the community would be fine with dst taking inspiration from other games and if anyone else thinks a Terraria-like hardmode fits with dst.

On 14.08.2019 at 6:12 PM, FeagleSnorf said:

Same with the blood moon, what would it even do? All that attacks you at night is Charlie. How would it fit in with the current moon cycle?

According to lore the "Moon" is a sentient being. Maybe even a one we can hurt or kill. If Lunar islands were to exist after beating the Fuelweaver that'd mean that the "Moon" has "an open cut" after throwing its chunk in the ocean and therefore is bleeding. That's how the Blood Moon would be a mechanic that only exists in Hardmode and not normally. 

And what it'd do? Well Imo it'd be a random event (unlike the full/new moon that we can predict when it'll happen) that would last, well, an entire night. It'd litterally be the "Moon" bleeding. Blood-like rain would start raining but instead of filling up the wettness meter it would have it's own meter. That "blood rain" wouldn't be stopped by normal items. Instead you'd have to craft some new items using stuff you find on Lunar Islands. If you don't protect yourself from it and your meter starts filling up the character would start acting more aggresively (visible via face expressions/animation etc) in a, well, blood-thirsty manner. You'd start losing control over your character (they don't always respond to what you want the to do), new enemies could start to spawn etc.

I mean with dst's "Moon" there's a lot a Blood Moon could bring so… idk

13 minutes ago, Russian Philin said:

[Need more original content,I think. It's good to be inspired by other games, but it seems to me that Klei need to focus on their ideas, although now it is difficult] 

Oh, of course. I didn't mean that every future content should be taken from other games, no not at all.

As I said I just wanted to see if the community'd be ok if a future mechanic would be to be inspired from some other game

• Thanks 1