I'm having a problem and its with me.

Shouldn’t have taken the Narcoleptic trait.

In all seriousness, though, I generally see “getting sleepy while playing” as a flag that I’m not really enjoying a game, and I’m bored. I’m compulsive enough that I’ll continue playing a game past the point where I’ve mastered it, and I’m not experiencing anything new. The “I’m sleepy” thing (within normal waking hours, of course!) is a hint that I should re-evaluate how I’m spending my time.

Sometimes I’ll reach this state when I’ve still clearly got a while to go. I.e. if the game involves a lot of grinding between times when I’m doing something new.

In any case, the answer is possibly “time to move on to a different game.”

How long of sessions do you typically play? Maybe shorter sessions would be better for you.

Or maybe try alternating it with chores or something. Play a few cycles, vacuum the livingroom, a few more cycles, wash the dishes, more cycles, water plants, more cycles, get a good 8-10 hours of sleep.

Or listen to some ridiculously noisy industrial music. Though you may end up paying more attention to the music than the game.

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

Three to five hours if I have time to play.

Do you find that you get drowsy after a few hours or are you nodding off the whole time? 'Cos if you're getting tired after two hours that seems like a good time to just do something else, even if it's just snoozing on the couch. Two hours of ONI is plenty of time to get stuff done, no need to punish yourself.

6 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

Two hours of ONI is plenty of time to get stuff done, no need to punish yourself.

I don't think I'm punishing myself, my mind wants to continue perfecting base building since I want to make sure I can make a base that is comfortable for both dupes and critters. It's just my eyes that have a problem.

2 minutes ago, minespatch said:

It's just my eyes that have a problem.

I'm gonna be Discount Armchair Doctor (DAD) for a bit here and say: if your body is tired your body is tired, and you'd probably benefit from a nap. 

If you're concerned that may just make things worse/cause you to get lazier and less motivated, setting an alarm for half an hour may help. Power naps are a thing and having one before your ONI session may help to charge your brain (using a lot of mental energy in a game like this can be tiring on top of all the other stuff you do).

I get the same way.  It's not the eyes, it's the brain.  I sit down with a plan that I put in motion, then I put out the fires that the plan started, and I can do the next thing, but after that I just run out of creative juice.  With my brain making that empty-straw shlorping sound there's nothing on in there keeping my eyes open.

The solution is to switch it up for a bit with something actiony and mindless, until you get an idea for the next thing to build in ONI. 

I've been alternating with Prey lately, to the extent that I catch myself counting my storage compactors to make sure one's not a mimic.

I LOVE gaming, I used to play Everquest for 25-30 hours straight. Same with World of Warcraft. As I've become older (and quit caffeine and cigarettes),  I just can't sit still for that long. I agree with the comments suggesting getting up and doing something else. I find when I do that, my creativity gets flowing again, and I come up with solutions or ideas to try, which keeps me excited about coming back to the game. Speaking of which, my desk is a disaster again.

I think a lot of it comes from the late game grind.  Early on you need to set up outhouses, get oxygen, get food, do research, unentomb your dupe, mop all the pee, etc.  Late game everything just works and you rarely have to fix anything.  Mostly you sit there going, "welp, need more egg shells for steel," or "what if I move this room there." 

After the initial 30 cycles, things calm down a lot and you are free to relax more.  I mentioned in another thread that there are no late game threats unless you purposefully make them.  All the early game panic stuff works well into the late game, which is fine but leads to this kinda boring phase where you have to find things to do vs being on the verge of death unless you act.

For instance, I recommended adding a fungal disease that occurs if dupes are in atmosuits for long periods of time.  That way it encourages players not to just trap dupes in suits all the time, so there is more of a chance to get diseases.  If they add back the death punishment for some diseases, that would add a little threat to our late game bases.  Or after 200 cycles of a dupe being alive they start requiring drinks with their meal or they require multiple food options because they get stressed eating the same food all the time.  If dupes required drinks with food, there's a chance they could get food poisoning more often.  If food poisoning caused vomiting again, that's more issues to deal with late game.  With more food options required, that forces us to use a cooking machine or grow different plants, both of which aren't hard but also aren't required currently.

Most of my recommendations are things that shouldn't affect most bases but would add more things to do later once the initial base is set up.  No longer can you just survive on meal lice for thousands of cycles, you are at least forced to make it into liceloaf or pickled meal or grow something else after a certain point or risk stress.  I dont know how much more coding that would require, but I'm just throwing out ideas of how Klei could add more challenge to late game to help prevent this sleepy feel.

4 minutes ago, phod said:

I used to play Everquest for 25-30 hours straight. Same with World of Warcraft.

Those were the days! I miss games capable of draining the last drop of my soul... The progress in these games were actually measurable by the sleep hours you'd have through a week. I never felt sleepy but sometimes I'd just fell apart from exhaustion. Not healthy, not desirable but I was pretty happy doing those stupid things back in the day.

3 hours ago, DemainaNyx said:

After the initial 30 cycles, things calm down a lot and you are free to relax more.

You're a better player than I am. I don't feel really comfortable until maybe cycle 50 at the earliest, and even then I've got this nagging feeling in the back of my head because I know the dirt and algae aren't going to last forever, and I probably don't have a renewable source of water yet (besides pee, of course).

I don't know if it could be in any way related, but since you say eyes not mind - I have that problem with reading (but not when it's on PC or a lit e-Reader). I get extremely sleepy even if I wasn't before and even if the read is interesting. If my experience is anything to go by, perhaps try sharper light on your screen? Or a bright lamp to the side. It could even be your glasses.

Unless you only get that with ONI. In which case, it's gonna be the mind. Or low FPS. That could be a factor too, possibly.

"It looks like you probably stepped on that ledge and then dug out all the tiles behind you."

"What are you doing down there? Did you dig out the tile underneath you and fall 30 feet?"

"I see that you've built a tile and sealed yourself in a pool, underwater."

Archived