Your least favourite character in the game and why?

Alexias

I hate Wilson, Willow, Wendy, Wolfgang, WX-78, Wickerbottom, Woodie, Wes, Maxwell, Wagstaff, Wigfrid, Webber, Walani, Warly, Wilbur, Wilba, Wormwood and Wheeler.

Spoiler

...real men/women play as Woodlegs.

22 hours ago, Owlrus98 said:

Walani. She has absolutely no character development, on top of uninteresting perks and quirks that barely affect gameplay in any strong suit.

While I'll admit that Walani's perks aren't that interesting except for some niche uses (the speed boost that the surfboard gets from waves is underrated!), I think people don't give Walani enough credit when it comes to her personality, and usually don't look past the parts that make her sound like Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Here's some of the interesting stuff that people never mention:

It's implied that Walani was once a pirate, before becoming a surfer gal.
Gunpowder Barrel- "Hmm, was I in charge of keeping these stowed?"
Cutlass Supreme- "It's been awhile since I held one of these."
Captain Hat- "If only the boss could see me now."
Deerclops Eyeball-"Aw. Kind of reminds me of the boss."
Thulecite Club- "Know a few scallywags I'd like to introduce this to."
Pond (Ruins)- "It makes me miss the open sea."
Watery Grave- "That wound's a little too fresh."

It's frequently shown that Walani loves animals, and tends to feel guilty about killing them for her advantage.
Piggyback- "Was it worth it?"
Birdcage (Occupied)- "I hope my birdy buddy is happy."
Egg - "There is a tiny birdy buddy in here!",
Egg (Cooked)- "...I'm sorry, birdy buddy.",
Butterfly (Held)- "You're my pretty pocket pal."
Butterfly Wings- "I feel pretty bad about that."
Frog (Dead)- "It was too good for this world."
Glommer's Flower (Dead)- "Poor lil thing."
Ballphin- "My surfing buddies!"
Seal- "I just wanna squish its face into my face."
Blue Whale Carcass- "You don't have to be sad anymore..."
Shark Tooth Crown- "Feels wrong having these on my head..."
Mussel Bed- "I should plant it before the poor things dry out."
Fish Farm (one fish)- "Hey lil dude! Welcome to the farm!"
Fish Farm (two fish)- "Aw, my fish has buddies!"
Fish Farm (three fish)- "It's looking like a real party in there!"
Fish Farm (four fish)- "Do I really have to eat them?"
Quackering Ram- "I prefer to be a pacifist on the pacific."
Pigeon (Dead)- "I hope he died in his sleep."
Beefalo Mounting- "That just makes me sad."

It's also implied that Walani's not very happy with herself, though it's never stated why.
Pond - "It's kind of hard to look at myself these days."
Birdcage (Skeleton)- "I have a lot of regrets in life."
Dorsal Fin- "I thought I was the only one around here who'd fallen to pieces."

A really obscure thing: Walani admires the beauty of flowers, and has always wanted to have her own garden.
Petals- "Flowers totally get me."
Evil Flower- "Flowers shouldn't be that scary."
Dark Petals- "These smell like bad karma."
Light Flower- "I want a whole wreath of them!"
Cactus Flower- "You ever seen anything as pretty?"
Glommer's Flower- "Wouldn't it look great in my hair?"
Miss Sow's Floral Arrangements- "I love that place."
Florist- "I always wanted to grow flowers."
Exotic Flower- "I love these."
Lotus Flower- "Pretty!"

And here's some quotes that I just like, cause why not?
Entering Combat (Generic)- "I'M A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH!"
Leaving Comabt (Generic)- "Oh man, you shoulda seen the look on your face."
Entering Combat (Pig)- "DESTRUCTION!"
Leaving Combat (Pig)- "Haha, gotcha."
Entering Combat (Spider)- "YOU WILL REGRET THIS DAY!"
Leaving Combat (Spider)- "Pssh, nah, we're good."
Coral Nubbin- "Heh. 'Nubbin.'"
Shelmet- "I'm a little embarassed to wear it in public."
Tar Suit- "This may have been my worst idea. Ever."
Seashell- "No two are alike. Well, except those two. And, uh... that one."
Spider Gland- "Why does health food taste so bad?"
Dragoon Egg- "I licked one once. It burned my tongue."

i dislike playing wilson/wes above any other character because they just come off as boring to play as. as for personality i think i hate wortox the most out of all of them. I know that its his shtick, but i can't stand how little he takes basically anything, seriously. It's just so annoying, and to top it all off the voice he has is (no disrespect to klei) legitimately the most annoying thing in the entire game

At the risk of offending all of his many fans out there: Webber frightens me. I have no problem with regular spiders. But the weird, symbiotic/parasitic... thing Webber has going on just... bothers me. Don't get me wrong, his personality is rather sweet, since he's just a kid, and he seems like a nice person and all... But the way he... they... refer to themselves with the plural first-person pronoun, and sometimes mention disagreeing with one another, meaning that there are two beings using the same combination of completely dissimilar bodies at the same time... That gives me the creeps. I simultaneously want to know how this weird amalgamation of creatures happened, and really, really, really don't want to know either.

And I dislike Wickerbottom because of her pretentious use of the Latin name for everything, and her general way-too-strict-and-proper personality, and I find her very suspicious overall. How does she know so much magic when no one else does, other than Maxwell, whose knowledge is explained? How can she do more science without a science machine than the actual scientist can? Wickerbottom has secrets. Dark secrets. Perhaps they're what prevent her from sleeping...

I dislike Wolfgang a lot. I used to play him a fair bit but the time he gains through faster combat often is often lower than the time to gain all the food to keep him fed. But what really kills any enjoyment for the character for me are his hunger transformation, that cant be canceled and can cause a lot of trouble (I know he is invincible during it but he sure isnt after) and his constant downticking of his health which just triggers my OCD.

Edit:
Wes is a strong second contender but what annoys me isnt actually the character but some peoples attitude with him. He is just horrible boring and the worst attempt of a challenge character.

27 minutes ago, MasteroftheTDS said:

I hate Wes but it’s actually Wolfgang I can’t stand. It’s not because I don’t find his character interesting, it’s because I can’t play a character who makes me feel like I’m losing brain cells. (#sorrynotsorry)

you don't need to inspect stuff with him unless you want some humor.

but he is still better then wes when it comes to general communication.

also that tuba sound is sooo good~

On 14/08/2019 at 8:43 PM, pe5e said:

Wes is a strong second contender but what annoys me isnt actually the character but some peoples attitude with him. He is just horrible boring and the worst attempt of a challenge character.

you really don't get the fact that people literally use him as a meme for the strongest character in the game cause. anyone who can play with him really good will automatically become the strongest DS Player there is,

even I myself am not macho enough to play with that guy.

2 hours ago, MWY said:

you really don't get the fact that people literally use him as a meme for the strongest character in the game cause. anyone who can play with him really good will automatically become the strongest DS Player there is,

even I myself am not macho enough to play with that guy.

I think you didnt understand or misinterpret my stand on Wes. I know full well that people only ironically call him the best character in the game. But a terrible meme that was never good anyway doesnt become good just because it was repeated a million times. In fact it gets worse the longer it stays around.
Your stand that playing Wes will somehow significantly increase your play compared to others is also just weird to me and it annoys me quite a bit that people think playing Wes is hard. He is not, not at all in fact. In fact if you even unlocked Wes in the first place than you mastered a bigger challenge than playing him already. Increasing numbers is the most boring, uncreative way possible to increase the challenge for the player. Characters like Wigfried, Webber or Warly are much better approaches at a challenge character for newer and older players because they actually change up the regular gameplay and offer new obstacles to overcome. Wes´ challenges arent different or harder from regular charactes like Wilson, he just needs longer to do them. That is why I dont like the character itself, the bad memes only make it worse.

50 minutes ago, pe5e said:

I think you didnt understand or misinterpret my stand on Wes. I know full well that people only ironically call him the best character in the game. But a terrible meme that was never good anyway doesnt become good just because it was repeated a million times. In fact it gets worse the longer it stays around.
Your stand that playing Wes will somehow significantly increase your play compared to others is also just weird to me and it annoys me quite a bit that people think playing Wes is hard. He is not, not at all in fact. In fact if you even unlocked Wes in the first place than you mastered a bigger challenge than playing him already. Increasing numbers is the most boring, uncreative way possible to increase the challenge for the player. Characters like Wigfried, Webber or Warly are much better approaches at a challenge character for newer and older players because they actually change up the regular gameplay and offer new obstacles to overcome. Wes´ challenges arent different or harder from regular charactes like Wilson, he just needs longer to do them. That is why I dont like the character itself, the bad memes only make it worse.

Wigfrid, Webber and Warly are the easiest characters in my consideration cause they give a MASSIVE ease to your survival compared to the disadvantages they have,

Wes literally is a character that has nothing but disadvantages in the most literal sense and that's what makes it hilarious cause its ridiculous to consider Wes as being hard cause he its just stupid in the manner its hard to play with him and that's the entire meme.
(if you don't find this funny then I guess your not memeing hard enough)

Wigfrid's meat only diet is not hard at all since her upside of being a vampire makes her literally the best character if you want to fight all the time and don't want to die easily (she also receives 1.25 damage less the other characters to boot)

Webber being able make entire Spider armies and have unlimited food source makes him the most fun character to play with, his only disadvantage with being unfriendly to good creatures only makes it hard if you allow it, otherwise he can survive easily.
(just think of visiting your local town with your 100+ spider friend and asking a guard for directions)

Warly is just a fun character overall, his disadvantage is literally very hard to consider and his mobile crockpot makes every other character appear not very special cause that crockpot is the entire reason he was given a ticket to DST.

28 minutes ago, MWY said:

Wes literally is a character that has nothing but disadvantages in the most literal sense and that's what makes it hilarious cause its ridiculous to consider Wes as being hard cause he its just stupid in the manner its hard to play with him and that's the entire meme.
(if you don't find this funny then I guess your not memeing hard enough)

I know why people do it but for me this humor just falls flat because there is basicly no joke behind the ironic statement. "This character with no upsides, which is barely different from the starting character is actually overpowered!" isnt some grant comedy. Especially because the meme is so old and well known. I simply dont find it funny when people make such an ironic joke that isnt actually a joke to me when they know full well that I already know the answer. This meme is not only a worn out gum but a drown away gum at the bottom of thrash can. And for some reason people still want to dig up that gum every few weeks when Wes is mentioned in some fashion. I understand that people have different kinds of humors but it just find those kinds of jokes lacking. There are good memes out there, it is just like in comedy that the good ones get regularly drown out by bad ones. In this case I just think people overdid it.

28 minutes ago, MWY said:

Wigfrid, Webber and Warly are the easiest characters in my consideration cause they give a MASSIVE ease to your survival compared to the disadvantages they have,

Wigfrid's meat only diet is not hard at all since her upside of being a vampire makes her literally the best character if you want to fight all the time and don't want to die easily (she also receives 1.25 damage less the other characters to boot)

Webber being able make entire Spider armies and have unlimited food source makes him the most fun character to play with, his only disadvantage with being unfriendly to good creatures only makes it hard if you allow it, otherwise he can survive easily.
(just think of visiting your local town with your 100+ spider friend and asking a guard for directions)

Warly is just a fun character overall, his disadvantage is literally very hard to consider and his mobile crockpot makes every other character appear not very special cause that crockpot is the entire reason he was given a ticket to DST.

This is open for debate but to me there is more to a challenge than simply its difficulty. You can try to brush you teeth while holding the toothbrush in your foot. While being hard, it wouldnt be enjoyable,encouraging or rewarding and you wouldnt really learn somthing from it. Challenges need to have nuances and teach things that you didnt know before. In case of video games, it should change up the basic gameplay and provide new obstacles to work around and overcome as well as teach the player about different parts of the game.

Which is why I think Wes is not a good challenge character. He doesnt have new gameplay aspects. He has the same as Wilson, it just takes him longer. The characters I named all do this to some extent.

Wigfird brings players out of their comfort zone and encourages combat thus teaching the player about kiting, risk and reward and usefulness of monster drops. Webber teaches about different mobs and how they interact towards each other as well as followers (and surving with lower stats). Warly is propably one of the best designed challenge characters along with Woodlegs and Wickerbottom for older players that already have a good grasp on the game but search for a more creative challenge. All of them encourage experimentation and interactions with items and structures on a larger scale.

You also have to consider that DS (along with DST) isnt a hard game. I basicly just comes down to how much knowledge about the game the player has. You "beat" half the game already once kiting and the food system are learned because they open up such a wide array of options. So "hard" challenges in DS can pretty much only exist by limiting acess to certain things. Be it time, resources or whatever else that changes the basic game play. 

Wes does non of this because he is just a blander, slower version of Wilson. Feel free to disagree but that is how I see it.

8 minutes ago, pe5e said:

This meme is not only a worn out gum but a drown away gum at the bottom of thrash can. And for some reason people still want to dig up that gum every few weeks when Wes is mentioned in some fashion.

it seems you do get the joke then :DDD,, sticking that gum out again and throwing at someone is the hilarious part now xDDD.

The rest you said is very very Accurate and personally I wished they would have brought Woodlegs in DST then just Warly because he is a very fitting character to the world that DST is being made into. But that's just my personal opinion.

On the otherhand you are exactly right about Wigfrid where if you do not have something to kill inorder to recover sanity/health, you will be surprised that how much difficult it is to make it work out with her due to her meat only diet.

As for Webber teaching you how mobs and followers work is quite a good observation you made, I never realized that.

and the odd thing is that Woody also gets to have a Follower based uniqueness in him only in DST that allows him to have longer Friendship time then regular characters.

but I find it hard to tell characters apart in DST cause I have not played it online as of yet and the only time I did was when a bunch of elite guys where playing along and well, they pretty much shoved me out of the server cause I was ruining their world by just being in it
it was an official Server between and it was quite rude but that's how DST works)

Archived