Recommended Posts

Gurgel    1,246

Excellent!

Two remarks:

1. For wild growth, you need to plant in regular "natural" tiles

2. I do not understand your "better" way to make natural tiles and probably nobody will from that video alone.

Edited by Gurgel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gus Smedstad    357
55 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

4. How to make "natural" tiles

As always, there are better and worse ways. Here's the better way. Please don't remove this.

what.gif.7eba5f56d850e5837857104d004c75a6.gif

 

I don't understand why that creates a natural tile. Shouldn't that just create an ore lump? Are the metal tiles bounding the mechanical airlock important? I'm assuming the vacuum isn't.

The natural tile thing has been on my mind primarily because of parks.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
suxkar    119

Thanks for making this very complete and useful thread, and for showcasing my idiocy :D I was the owner of problem #2!
Thank you!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gurgel    1,246
20 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

2. I do not understand your "better" way to make natural tiles and probably nobody will from that video alone.

Fascinating. This actually works as displayed. It has the disadvantage of creating a 200kg metal tile though. With my "drip fresh liquid glass on algae" technique, I can create dirt tiles down to 10kg (drip half of the glass on one tile, half on another by splitting the output), which are a lot easier to cool down.

Note to those that find buried glass an aesthetic problem: This seems to happen only on heavier algae loads. I have created 28 10kg dirt tiles for Peppernut and not a single one has glass embedded. Apparently, if the conversion is fast enough, the glass gets pushed out instead of embedded. 

Edited by Gurgel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
beowulf2010    537

I was playing around with this last night and discovered one slight exception to the "It's always rule #1" answer to why won't my pips plant. If you're weird like me and used sandbox to make the planter tiles but want the pips to plant in them, the pips won't plant until you reload the game. 

This is mostly a meaningless exception as there will be very few people that will half-cheat like I was by using sandbox to paint in algae/dirt tiles but not just spawning the plant in directly also using sandbox. 

(It's most likely caused by the same issue that causes plants you move with debug's Alt-Q teleport function to be dug up by changes to the original root tile instead of the new root tile until a save/reload). 

Edited by beowulf2010
Couldn't recreate issue
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bzgzd    276
1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

Fascinating. This actually works as displayed. It has the disadvantage of creating a 200kg metal tile though. With my "drip fresh liquid glass on algae" technique, I can create dirt tiles down to 10kg (drip half of the glass on one tile, half on another by splitting the output), which are a lot easier to cool down.

But with this bug there is nothing to cool down.

Spoiler

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gurgel    1,246
34 minutes ago, bzgzd said:

But with this bug there is nothing to cool down.

  Reveal hidden contents

 

 

There is if you want to plant Sleet Wheat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,431
5 hours ago, Gurgel said:

1. For wild growth, you need to plant in regular "natural" tiles

2. I do not understand your "better" way to make natural tiles and probably nobody will from that video alone.

1: Wild/domestic growth is mentioned.

6 hours ago, nakomaru said:

If they plant in a farm tile or hydroponic farm, the plant will be domesticated.

2: Okay, I added clarification.

6 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Yup. You really just deconstruct a door.

 

5 hours ago, Gurgel said:

I can create dirt tiles down to 10kg (drip half of the glass on one tile, half on another by splitting the output), which are a lot easier to cool down.

Added - this is definitely the easiest method for cooking! Thank you.

5 hours ago, suxkar said:

Thanks for making this very complete and useful thread, and for showcasing my idiocy :D I was the owner of problem #2!
Thank you!

Valuable data my friend!

3 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

one slight exception to the "It's always rule #1" answer to why won't my pips plant. If you're weird like me and used sandbox to make the planter tiles but want the pips to plant in them, the pips won't plant until you reload the game.

I assume you mean farm tiles and not planter boxes. I was unable to reproduce this. Left side tiles created with sandbox and right side was created with debug.

deb.thumb.png.7caaed88a704a54c8f840df25c79dc09.png

If you meant dirt tiles, I also couldn't reproduce this as all testing was done in sandbox/debug. Was it perhaps a vacuum? (Was it rule #1?)

Edited by nakomaru
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
beowulf2010    537
1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

I assume you mean farm tiles and not planter boxes. I was unable to reproduce this. Left side tiles created with sandbox and right side was created with debug.

deb.thumb.png.7caaed88a704a54c8f840df25c79dc09.png

I actually meant creating brand new 20kg blocks of algae directly with sandbox mode's brush tool. 

Edited by beowulf2010
Couldn't recreate issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shuuny    22

Nice teamwork everyone ! Take that Klei ! :p

6 hours ago, nakomaru said:

The Glass Forge.

3.gif.fed19532e342c436cbeed0a49312d4d2.gif

Love it !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,431
2 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

I actually meant creating brand new 20kg blocks of algae directly with sandbox mode's brush tool. 

Still unable to reproduce. Left with sandbox, right with debug.

alg.thumb.png.ed556c5a70276a163c8f321a444fa284.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
beowulf2010    537
58 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Still unable to reproduce. Left with sandbox, right with debug.

alg.thumb.png.ed556c5a70276a163c8f321a444fa284.png

How odd... I'll try it again tonight. This morning I went 15 cycles, no plants. Reloaded the 15th turn's auto save because I missed a sand tile and broke open a water reservoir and flooded my industrial area. 3 out of 4 seeds planted with a cycle of the reload. 

Edited by beowulf2010
Couldn't recreate issue.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abud    474
7 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Check out rev 3!

A bit out of topic, where glass from middle vent?

edit: probably we can make it more efficient using 1kg valve? Would prevent state change too

Edited by abud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,431
24 minutes ago, abud said:

A bit out of topic, where glass from middle vent?

edit: probably we can make it more efficient using 1kg valve? Would prevent state change too

Perfectly topical! Added.

7 hours ago, nakomaru said:

pipe.thumb.png.4d7e5d754ea27033422a125eb87acc2f.png

I believe you run out of energy at 1kg, and without perfect insulation the problem is worse. I tried 6250 to split the 25kg evenly. It works (well 5kg was already tested originally). Looks like I was lucky the first time to avoid buried glass.

By the way, the above picture naturally cooked the surrounding 2 tiles just from sitting there.

4.gif.ab7db00fa56ffbe05671483dc700b34e.gif

If you sort out an even better design please share.

Edited by nakomaru
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
beowulf2010    537

@nakomaru OK. I cannot replicate the issue I mentioned earlier.  I tried 3 different combinations of Sandbox brushing and debug Alt-Q teleporting of seeds and pips. Editing my previous posts.  Must have been one of those stupid random things that gets fixed by a reload like when autosweepers stop loading or a Pacu literally getting stuck in one square of the water pen. Sorry for the issue. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bzgzd    276
37 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

4.gif.ab7db00fa56ffbe05671483dc700b34e.gif

If you sort out an even better design please share.

Why only 4? Make 25 it should be enough heat... :)

Wait... WTF Sand!

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,431
14 minutes ago, bzgzd said:

Why only 4?

Without perfect insulation, you really want to get the glass out as soon as possible. The recommendation of 3 is chosen to be able to instantly boil 10kg of algae to dirt without tending to bury glass or turn to sand. If you play with it, you have to figure out the numbers again. The heat is not lost: it will continue to cook nearby algae. Box off your room and most of the heat will go to good use. Drop 3 every 6-9 tiles or so, probably.

You might try changing the 3-4 output design to drop every third tile, to spread out the heat and be guaranteed that glass doesn't get buried.

Edited by nakomaru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now