Pip Planting: Everything You Need to Know

I locked the door.  They've dropped 11 spores on the ground from the compactor.  Occasionally they make a puffy face but that's about all I get.

Soon, I will need to drop them into lava and go back to regular farming.

Edit:  I even dug up the mushroom they planted and they won't replant it.  Little ****s.

fatty.png

littleshit.png

3 hours ago, LookingForBaal said:

I locked the door.  They've dropped 11 spores on the ground from the compactor.  Occasionally they make a puffy face but that's about all I get.

Soon, I will need to drop them into lava and go back to regular farming.

Edit:  I even dug up the mushroom they planted and they won't replant it.  Little ****s.

fatty.png

littleshit.png

This is the thing that happens when you have the seeds queued to be stored in a compactor. Don't rely on them to knock the seeds out. Remove them from the compactors allowed list so your dupes stop interfering with the pips. The simple fact that there is a job to put the spore in the compactor is preventing the pips from picking up the spores.

7 hours ago, nakomaru said:

@LookingForBaal Is the atmosphere above 100g (rule 4)? If it is, can I see the save?

Yep, around 750g.  I was growing mushrooms in there which need 150 and it has a water lock.  Save is attached.  Thanks!

7 hours ago, Chthonicone said:

This is the thing that happens when you have the seeds queued to be stored in a compactor. Don't rely on them to knock the seeds out. Remove them from the compactors allowed list so your dupes stop interfering with the pips. The simple fact that there is a job to put the spore in the compactor is preventing the pips from picking up the spores.

I'm still not following you.  How could dupes be interfering when the door doesn't permit them to pass?  I understand how a sweeper may not deliver something because a dupe decides to run across the map and do it first but locking the door solves that.  They also do all go to sleep at night.

Pipsonstrike.sav

Edit: What the hell! Now it's working.  Halfway through the first cycle I took a look a look and there's two mushrooms.  I am going to reload again and see what happens.

Edit2: I think...unloading the compactor as Chthonicone recommended did it?  I am not sure.  My game runs pretty slow on high speed so I don't want to experiment too much but the save is out there if anyone wants it for science.

If that's what it was, I still don't get it.  None of my dupes seemed to have any job to store the spores queued since the door was impassable.  Plus removing all filters on that compactor just means they should want to store those spores on the ground in another one?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   Thank you all for your help.

26 minutes ago, LookingForBaal said:

Yep, around 750g.  I was growing mushrooms in there which need 150 and it has a water lock.  Save is attached.  Thanks!

I'm still not following you.  How could dupes be interfering when the door doesn't permit them to pass?  I understand how a sweeper may not deliver something because a dupe decides to run across the map and do it first but locking the door solves that.  They also do all go to sleep at night.

Pipsonstrike.sav

Edit: What the hell! Now it's working.  Halfway through the first cycle I took a look a look and there's two mushrooms.  I am going to reload again and see what happens.

Edit2: I think...unloading the compactor as Chthonicone recommended did it?  I am not sure.  My game runs pretty slow on high speed so I don't want to experiment too much but the save is out there if anyone wants it for science.

If that's what it was, I still don't get it.  None of my dupes seemed to have any job to store the spores queued since the door was impassable.  Plus removing all filters on that compactor just means they should want to store those spores on the ground in another one?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   Thank you all for your help.

As I said, if there is a storage somewhere requesting the seeds, it generates a task. As long as the task exists, the pips tend to fail repeatedly to pick up the seeds. I have no idea why, but removing that storage fixes it.

12 minutes ago, Chthonicone said:

As I said, if there is a storage somewhere requesting the seeds, it generates a task. As long as the task exists, the pips tend to fail repeatedly to pick up the seeds. I have no idea why, but removing that storage fixes it.

I have also observed this to be the case: I uprooted a seed and marked it to 'sweep' from an area where a pip was and the job finished just before downtime.  As I was watching the pip entered 'planting seed' status, walked over to the seed, and then did nothing.  Because it was marked as sweep, it was assigned as a task somewhere (even on breaktime) which apparently made it inaccessible to the pip.

What I do is have only one container in the base able to store a seed type and then make it sweep-only so that dupes won't pick up the knocked-out seeds and load them back in.

Just now, SquirrelTeeth said:

I have also observed this to be the case: I uprooted a seed and marked it to 'sweep' from an area where a pip was and the job finished just before downtime.  As I was watching the pip entered 'planting seed' status, walked over to the seed, and then did nothing.  Because it was marked as sweep, it was assigned as a task somewhere (even on breaktime) which apparently made it inaccessible to the pip.

What I do is have only one container in the base able to store a seed type and then make it sweep-only so that dupes won't pick up the knocked-out seeds and load them back in.

Why didn't I think of that? I always just loaded the seeds into a container, then removed them from it's list to move them around.

The thought crossed my mind but then I'd have to find my 20 some compactors that take seeds.  If anyone loaded my .sav they will see the disaster that is my storage system LOL

Instead, I dumped 20 seeds on the ground and then only let Ashkan through the door for deconstructing the ladders each time a fungal spore was planted.  I forbade him from "Storing" so he won't take the spores.

13 minutes ago, LookingForBaal said:

The thought crossed my mind but then I'd have to find my 20 some compactors that take seeds.  If anyone loaded my .sav they will see the disaster that is my storage system LOL

Instead, I dumped 20 seeds on the ground and then only let Ashkan through the door for deconstructing the ladders each time a fungal spore was planted.  I forbade him from "Storing" so he won't take the spores.

Can't be worse than me before I start shipping.

Then my storage system gets weird.

I had an issue getting pips to plant, and it turned out not to be rule #1!

I was making a sleet wheat farm. To get the temperature down I had built a bunch of ice sculptures, which had since melted. I was initially worried about the water but then I saw a pip plant in a water-covered to tile, so I figured it would be fine. Then I got stuck with a tile that the pips would not touch. I went over rule 1 again and again, tore up the nearby plants to be sure, reloaded, built and unbuilt the blocking ladder, nothing. Eventually I thought to look at how much water was on the ground.

Rule 4b: Pips can plant in a tile with liquid on it, as long as there is at least 100g of liquid.

2 hours ago, Khaim said:

Rule 4b: Pips can plant in a tile with liquid on it, as long as there is at least 100g of liquid.

Thanks Khaim. I hadn't considered liquids. I'll add a note to clarify atmosphere means gas or liquid. :)

22 minutes ago, 7 and 4 said:

I always play on 1x speed. I reloaded several times and nothing changed. I'm close to uprooting everything and start over.

The Radical Dwelling.sav

Thanks for the save. At first I thought I had figured it out: that tile was cursed by a dark magic.

But then I found out that one of your plants to the right of the cursed tile was in fact two plants.

2.png.dee29be283ba0648ff8e7dc73c2c26c0.png

It seems you had two pips plant at the same time. You can uproot one of these and carry on, or just carry on and accept your rare doublereed. You'll have the same production either way.

A tough-to-spot application of rule 1.

My pips won't plant either. Pressure is higher than 100 grams. Is there an upper limit? There is no container which stores sleet wheat grain (I checked by having them sweep the grain on high priority, it says 'storage unavailable'). 

Anyone any idea what could cause this behavior?

image.thumb.png.b0c0113b6a082ea623ee446728cd752d.png

7 hours ago, onlineous said:

Nothing obvious to me. There may be an upper pressure limit, but I don't think it's that low.

Check for double plants on the right, or any plants below, or maybe upload the save.

17 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Nothing obvious to me. There may be an upper pressure limit, but I don't think it's that low.

Check for double plants on the right, or any plants below, or maybe upload the save.

I have observed cases were I needed to have a closed room 4 tiles high to start them planting. Probably some path-exploration failed and then the whole planting task was aborted.They did pick up seeds and dropped them again immediately. That issue persisted with a reload, but I don't have the save anymore.

I also had a case where 2 pips completely refused to plant over 10 cycles, and then bringing in a 3rd without any other changes, it planted immediately. No idea whether a reload would have done anything. 

There seem to be still some bugs in the whole process. And sometimes it just takes long, just to make any diagnosis harder. While Pips are sort of cute, a process where you had some advanced machine that creates a "wild planting seed" from a normal one, or some other more clear process would really be preferable.

did you mention that enough seeds need to be prepared before building a wild farm. I made a large wild farm, many rows, each row for one plant, then ran out of seeds. And the entire work has halted cuz I couldn't jump rows, everything had to go in order.

On 22-10-2019 at 6:23 PM, onlineous said:

My pips won't plant either. Pressure is higher than 100 grams. Is there an upper limit? There is no container which stores sleet wheat grain (I checked by having them sweep the grain on high priority, it says 'storage unavailable'). 

image.thumb.png.b0c0113b6a082ea623ee446728cd752d.png

Sorry folks, I was just utterly stupid. There were some waterweed plants just below what was visible in the picture. I never considered them because they were part off the 'natural environment'. Stupid, stupid, stupid me!

Well now, my turn. This should work. 

They just ignore those seeds on the ground, won't bring one up to that next spot. I don't have a double plant there like that last guy!

3 pips wandering this area, watched them pass the seeds many times.

image.thumb.png.e27b55c6fe5f2b2d07308f8278629e99.png

image.thumb.png.c4eeaef66f8bd69d5dc38478d0b3d81a.png

nevermind, I applie rule 1 incorrectly. Momentary lapse of reason - I was planting left to right!

Archived