Pip Planting: Everything You Need to Know

4 hours ago, minespatch said:

What you might want to do now is make sure the floor underneath the dupes are not tile. Keep the ground leveled without touching. Ever since the pips have been introduced, I had to rethink my strategy.

Aha!  Good to know.  Of course, I'm still at the "AAAAA THERE ARE SO MANY MENUS AND OVERLAYS AND SKILLS AND TECHS AND THINGS TO KEEP TRACK OF HOW DO I ANYTHING AAAA" stage with this game.  I'm convinced that once I start really playing, my first colony is gonna turn out like...well, have you seen Markiplier's early ONI (I still think that sounds like a Japanese ogre) playthroughs? I'm gonna end up with a non-alpha version of the Uncomfortable Spaceprison or possibly even the SmashyMcDeathy Colony.  It's a great game, but it is _really_ freaking overwhelming.  

My impression of Oxygen Not Included, just glancing at the thread titles here, is basically...oh,what was that screenshot caption I wrote...

"I was gonna name it the 'We're Gonna Die' colony, but this random generated name (the "Plagued Trainwreck") says about the same thing. Seriously, though, we're gonna die. I look at the Oxygen Not Included forums and it's all like "How do I stop my abyssalite critter farms from turning ice into tungsten whenever I go to the surface for my gallery decoration trips?" while I'm like:

"DUR. HOW I NO DIE?"

In other words everybody is so far advanced beyond where I am, the discussions here literally sound like a foreign language or code.  : P  (and yes, I AM at least aware that one wouldn't normally use abyssalite in a critter farm and that ice can't turn into tungsten...as far as I know.)

ANYway, back to the Pips (with or without Gladys Knight), this is relevant because the Plagued Trainwreck does actually _have_ those wandering around--I decided to pick the "aboreal" asteroid type instead of the starter Everything is Fine one, because it sounded cool and suited to me I'm an idiot--so yeah, this does apply.  ALIEN LEAF KITTIES!  :D

...Notorious

Just in case anyone else is wondering, causing the plants to become entombed (buried in sand or snow) will not allow you to increase planting density.  A plant is counted whether it is entombed or not. 

I was envisioning cooking dirt to plant things, then sand to bury them, and hoping to get maximum density of every plant.  No such luck. 

On 10.8.2019 at 9:29 PM, nakomaru said:

For hanging plants go from bottom to top, every 6th tile.

Hide contents

hanging.thumb.png.ea13d95e6d5b046655f6cdda6ca81c92.png

Hide contents

reedfail.thumb.png.a83ef3c5c45b66c73b551cf147e20342.pngreedpass.thumb.png.fdb80c3ced6bb7785f01d23458c03d41.png

Maybe im too dumb to understand, but you say from top to down every 6th tile but the last pictures shows a bigger spacing. I thought the count starts at the tile and not where the plant ends? Or what am i missing here?

23 minutes ago, hpongledd said:

Maybe im too dumb to understand, but you say from top to down every 6th tile but the last pictures shows a bigger spacing. I thought the count starts at the tile and not where the plant ends? Or what am i missing here?

Hanging plants are every 6th tile (i.e. 5 tile rooms, 1 tile floors) for optimal spacing. They should be planted from bottom to top.

Normal plants are every 5th tile (i.e. 4 tile rooms, 1 tile floors) for optimal spacing. They should be planted from the top to bottom.

The last pictures shows what happens when you try to plant normal plants from bottom to top. This will lead to poor spacing. They will fail to plant every 5 tiles. These pictures are there to help you understand rule #1.

3 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Just in case anyone else is wondering, causing the plants to become entombed (buried in sand or snow) will not allow you to increase planting density.  A plant is counted whether it is entombed or not. 

Thank you! Added.

Just now, Lutzkhie said:

is it still 3 space from right to left? because their not planting anything unless i make it 4 space

Should be. Post an image if you are stuck. Be sure to included at least 6 spaces in all directions.

Hmmmm what about solid and liquid phosporus? I think you can make a natural tile with it. Melting point of phosporus is ~55°C so... But the question is how many kg would you need per tile to make a block and not just solidify it. 

35 minutes ago, Nogard78 said:

Melting point of phosporus is ~55°C so... But the question is how many kg would you need per tile to make a block and not just solidify it. 

It's 44C and you need more than 160 kg of phosphorus per tile for it to become a tile.

Let's say we are using 161kg ~50C (to simplify calc) of phosphorite (SHC 0.15) to make phosphorus tiles.

To melt it, we need 161 * 200 * 0.15 = ~4830 DTU per tile

To cool it down from ~244C liquid phosporus to 44C with SHC 0.77 we need to remove 161 * 200 * 0.77 = ~24794 DTU per tile

Mass requirement for liquid to make tiles really make this method become inefficient. Also need to be careful about temperature in farms, more than 44C will endanger our tiles.

@Nogard78 In asteroid without algae, probably coal is next option.just like @nakomaru mentioned before. Just use 1kg of coal

To cook from 30C 1kg coal (SHC 0.71) we need 1 * 240 * 0.71 = ~170.4 DTU per tile. To cool down refined carbon back to 30C we need to remove same amount of heat. A bit higher than 5kg algae (which only need ~100 DTU per tile to cook) but I think still easy to manage. I never test it though.

For making ice tiles, does anyone know offhand the minimum density water necessary to guarantee freezing in a block?  Or if supercooled water dripped from a pipe will form a block?

/would test myself but won't be able to for a week

18 minutes ago, cpy said:

Anyone knows what's up with nature reserves and them preventing pips from planting stuff when nature reserves are close by? Or maybe is it that park sign?

Post a picture of the region you are trying to plant in, including the surroundings. Pips should have no knowledge of rooms or room types.

Just now, nakomaru said:

Post a picture of the region you are trying to plant in, including the surroundings. Pips should have no knowledge of rooms or room types.

Not relevant, i removed park signs and they started planting like crazy, that's why I'm asking. Nothing else changed, just park signs and those designated rooms.

22 minutes ago, cpy said:

Not relevant, i removed park signs and they started planting like crazy, that's why I'm asking. Nothing else changed, just park signs and those designated rooms.

You think a picture is irrelevant when discovering new information? Nonsense. Here I will demonstrate that pips do not care about room types or signs.

noyou.thumb.png.05f3cd97694dc40d2b1cc7109a44af99.png

The likely explanation is indicated in the OP.

6 minutes ago, LookingForBaal said:

Great guide! Isn't working for me though... I don't think it is rule #1?

They planted one mushroom immediately and now they're on strike.

PipDerp.jpg

Pips are finicky creatures. If your dupes are busy trying to put away a seed that a pip has selected for planting, the pip will go and try and fail to pick up the seed, then wait till next time.

Make sure that the seeds aren't tasked to be put away.

Archived