A question for the old timers (Feb-Mar 2017?)

My only memory was that hatches used to get real agro if you dug them up during the day. I remember them killing them for that specific reason, before there were good ways to use em as coal generators.

I like the sound of such macabre content... but i also recognize that people whine alot about the game being too hard, and the devs had to listen to keep their consumer base.

I'm one of those guys who has some questions about the ethicality of DLC, but if there was an extra horrifying mechanics with don't-starvish humerously impartial disdain for characters' wellbeing (exploding hydrogen, dupe-eatting critters, base-ending epidemics, crop parasites, scavenging hive insects tearing apart buildings, dupe rampaging psychotic breaks), I would be interested.

10 minutes ago, SamuraiJones said:

My only memory was that hatches used to get real agro if you dug them up during the day. I remember them killing them for that specific reason, before there were good ways to use em as coal generators.

I like the sound of such macabre content... but i also recognize that people whine alot about the game being too hard, and the devs had to listen to keep their consumer base.

I'm one of those guys who has some questions about the ethicality of DLC, but if there was an extra horrifying mechanics with don't-starvish humerously impartial disdain for characters' wellbeing (exploding hydrogen, dupe-eatting critters, base-ending epidemics, crop parasites, scavenging hive insects tearing apart buildings, dupe rampaging psychotic breaks), I would be interested.

I remember hostile hatches, that's probably around when I started playing.

I completely agree about having extreme difficulty mechanics.  This would probably make a lot of people happy.  I'd love to have random disasters added to the game.  SHTF is half the fun in this game for me, and I imagine many others.  It's something I find happens less and less often though, as I've improved at the game and developed blueprints for most of my builds.

With that said, it's easy to lose perspective after putting so many hours into the game.  I just read a review today about ONI claiming it was extremely difficult.  I really wish I could unlearn everything about the game and do it all over again.  I hope future DLC brings back that feeling.

On 8/7/2019 at 10:39 PM, Junksteel said:

hatches used to devour entire dupes alive

Whaaaa..? And they patched it out? KLEEEI! WTH!

So now it's two fun things that used to be in the game but are gone, the other being duplicant entombment.

SRSLY, what game maker sees an emergent behavior like that and doesn't simply standarize it? (Meep is sleeping on the floor? OHMNOMNOMNNGGGHHHHUFF! 20 kg of coal!)

Narcoleptic duplicants would be suicide mode.

Disappointing.

To make myself feel better I'm imagining @Saturnus having built that cathedral specifically so that his duplicants can worship Nurgle.

11 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

completely agree about having extreme difficulty mechanics.  This would probably make a lot of people happy

is it masochist traits? should be added in the game.

masochist: +3 morale when hp below 90, +6 when moral when below 50+ -5% stress. 5 cycle immune to stress after incapacitated heals

19 hours ago, Risu said:

There was an explosion however I don't think it was ever used by batteries since it was never given a texture.

20170709055445_1.thumb.jpg.c803e086fe714705f4fb507e4c19dcfd.jpg

20170709055453_1.thumb.jpg.3b28dde985fae2b4ca0f3b04b4804705.jpg

Naturally when I was playing with it I had to go overboard.

20170709065327_1.thumb.jpg.233663fff52ad059bc9c86d1e40496ec.jpg

Oh no!! I start playing since the first beta but I misses this patch!

On 8/9/2019 at 5:08 AM, Darkin Coaled said:

SRSLY, what game maker sees an emergent behavior like that and doesn't simply standarize it? (Meep is sleeping on the floor? OHMNOMNOMNNGGGHHHHUFF! 20 kg of coal!)

Narcoleptic duplicants would be suicide mode.

If hatches ever start eating dupes again, they shouldn't output coal after eating one... they should out "coal in uniform" or "Ari shaped coal" so it was more clear what happened. You could of course run those items through the granulator to get your 20kg of coal.

Archived