Help with removing announce_eat speech lines

Hello!

I'm trying to edit the files of a mod I downloaded (this one: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1823073244&searchtext=portable+cookpots), which makes portable crockpots/blenders/grinding stations & Warly's recipes available to everyone. I wanted to edit it (for personal use ONLY) to have it exclude the speech lines that display when a character eats food.

With this mod running, things like seeds, berries, or meatballs will make each character give their "generic" line in their announce_eat speech file ("yum!" for Wilson, "mmm! soul free!" for Wortox, etc.) and this can get annoying when eating stacks of food. I decided to use Wortox as a test subject in my attempts to resolve this.

First, I went into Wortox's character speech file (the one the mod provided for me, not the actual speech file in the basegame scripts folder) to delete the "generic" line below announce_eat:

Spoiler

ANNOUNCE_EAT =
    {
        GENERIC = "Mmm! Soul free!",     [ <-- deleted this one]
        PAINFUL = "Ouch! Hyuyu!",
        SPOILED = "Blech! At least souls never spoil.",
        STALE = "How unpleasant!",
        INVALID = "Not even I could eat that.",
        YUCKY = "I'd rather eat my own tail!",
    }

Removing this yielded no results, but didn't break anything.

Next, I went to try and find the source of the problem: my arch-nemesis, the masterchef" tag. After poking around, I found that the tags "masterchef", "professionalchef" and "expertchef" were added to Wortox's modded char file, to allow him to use Warly's portable items and cook his recipes. Makes sense. Then I realized that this tag must have something to do with how he reacts to food. 

Searching up "masterchef" in a copy of the basegame scripts folder, I found something that piqued my interest, a file named "wisecracker.lua". I opened it and found something I thought might have had to do with the issue:

Spoiler

elseif data.food.components.perishable ~= nil then
                    if data.food.components.perishable:IsFresh() then
                        local ismasterchef = inst:HasTag("masterchef")
                        if ismasterchef and data.food.prefab == "wetgoop" then
                            inst.components.talker:Say(GetString(inst, "ANNOUNCE_EAT", "PAINFUL"))
                        else 
                            local count = inst.components.foodmemory ~= nil and inst.components.foodmemory:GetMemoryCount(data.food.prefab) or 0
                            if count > 0 then
                                inst.components.talker:Say(GetString(inst, "ANNOUNCE_EAT", "SAME_OLD_"..tostring(math.min(5, count))))
                            elseif ismasterchef then
                                inst.components.talker:Say(GetString(inst, "ANNOUNCE_EAT",
                                    (data.food:HasTag("masterfood") and "TASTY") or
                                    (data.food:HasTag("preparedfood") and "PREPARED") or
                                    (data.food.components.cookable ~= nil and "RAW") or
                                    (data.food.components.perishable.perishtime == TUNING.PERISH_PRESERVED and "DRIED") or
                                    "COOKED"
                                ))

end
                        end

I made a copy of wisecracker.lua, put it in a components folder inside the mod's script folder, and tried deleting some of this code (all the lines I've put in bold font in the spoiler text). I loaded up the game to try it out, and it crashed when I ate raw berries. I have a screenshot of this crash!

Spoiler

5d4865f6068a0_ScreenShot2019-08-05at12_31_50PM.thumb.png.93995d45293675d9d3ba67048da5057e.png

Well...that certainly attacked the issue, but I'm stumped on how to actually resolve it. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with these lines in player_common.lua:

Spoiler

local function OnWontEatFood(inst, data)
    if inst.components.talker ~= nil then
        inst.components.talker:Say(GetString(inst, "ANNOUNCE_EAT", "YUCKY"))
    end
end

I should add that the modmain.lua file only contained information about the global recipes for the portable crockpot, blender and grinding station-- it didn't seem to affect the characters in any way, and thus probably doesn't pertain to this issue. 

I should also add that I'm a total doof at code and I haven't even dabbled in mods before, but I'm curious to learn more if anyone has any suggestions! I know how dumb I probably sound, and I'll be looking into this on my own time as soon as I have the chance to read all the modding guides, but I was just wondering if anyone had any passing advice to offer me on how I can fix this!

Thanks, and sorry for any trouble! 

Try putting this at the bottom of the modmain.lua

AddPlayerPostInit(function(inst)
	GLOBAL.STRINGS.CHARACTERS.GENERIC.ANNOUNCE_EAT = {}
	local name = string.upper(inst.prefab)
	if GLOBAL.STRINGS.CHARACTERS[name] then
		GLOBAL.STRINGS.CHARACTERS[name].ANNOUNCE_EAT = {}
	end
end)

This is REALLY forceful, and not very clever, but I think it'll work :) I leaned heavily on the fact that it is only for personal use ;)

If that crashes when you eat something, try this instead:

local mystrings =
    {
        GENERIC = "",
        PAINFUL = "",
        SPOILED = "",
        STALE = "",
        INVALID = "",
        YUCKY = "",
    }

AddPlayerPostInit(function(inst)
	GLOBAL.STRINGS.CHARACTERS.GENERIC.ANNOUNCE_EAT = mystrings
	local name = string.upper(inst.prefab)
	if GLOBAL.STRINGS.CHARACTERS[name] then
		GLOBAL.STRINGS.CHARACTERS[name].ANNOUNCE_EAT = mystrings
	end
end)

Edited by Ultroman
Fixed code

36 minutes ago, Ultroman said:

Try putting this at the bottom of the modmain.lua

Spoiler

This is REALLY forceful, and not very clever, but I think it'll work :) I leaned heavily on the fact that it is only for personal use ;)

If that crashes when you eat something, try this instead:

Spoiler

Thank you for the advice!! Unfortunately, neither of these seemed to work-- they actually crashed DST before I even loaded into the world; I've got a screencap of what it told me:

Spoiler

5d48975989ef6_ScreenShot2019-08-05at4_46_06PM.thumb.png.2e90d2b47fd795cd9af4cd9d5c9f2b06.png

and, just to make sure I plugged the code in right, here's a screenshot of the entire modmain.lua file:

Spoiler

5d48978aaf85f_ScreenShot2019-08-05at4_53_23PM.thumb.png.e4c13d33c1372cebfca149baffa0d037.png

I am...not very handy with code, but I'll get there eventually! thank you so much!

3 hours ago, Ultroman said:

I fixed the code in the previous post. I tested both, and they both work. At least with fishsticks. I don't know about other foods, like spiced things.

Thank you!! It works perfectly! I need to do more peeking into the code of DST...it's really fascinating stuff!