Performance of the game post launch is terrible

13 minutes ago, natanstarke said:

Guys the problem is already spotted, late game lag. Now lets turn our efforts to solving solutions.

My choices would be.

Insulated liquid/ gas pipes do not change any temperature with ambient anymore. " this way we spam them late game".

Debris should stop giving bad decor values. 

Gas should cal temperature only with top left right and bottom tiles. " reducing 50% gas temp calculations map wide" ( im definetly not sure on this one plz tell me if this would be too bad).

Destroy germ calculation let it have a number limit like 1000 being max contagion level then the freaking immense ammount of germ calculations stop.

Bring back fixed temperatures to some buildings except for water sieve. Let petrol and nat gas gens drop the water and co2 at fixed temp too no calculations needed.

In resume every not primary output let them be fixed and the primarys may have a heat difference like oil refinery example now " oil enters hot and gives hot petrol, if cold then cold petrol but the nat gas always at set temperature.

Vaccum needs something but im not sure what, maybe only trying to check a gas to be deleted exactly in the middle tile?

Im not sure im a fan of such pretty significant balance changes for the sake of performance. In a perfect scenario those two things should be treated independently.

I confirm. Launched in sandbox mode. As soon as a duplicate runs into a rocket, frames begin to be swallowed. As soon as the rocket takes off, hell begins - a slideshow occurs on the monitor.

I tried to destroy the temperature - this tool does not work the way it works if the game is started in sandbox mode from the very beginning. It sets the temperature in Kelvin, although Celsius is selected, and Kelvin has a negative scale, but it is limited to -15 degrees. B*llsh*t. I went the other way - I simply destroyed all the gases, replacing them with a vacuum. Nothing changed. It's a rocket, gentlemen. Perhaps the object is not destroyed for a while, but simply displayed outside the map, where it continues to be spent fuel, supposedly for realism?

Call to ICAO, must suspend all civilian flights until the end of the investigation

2 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Glad you came around. :)

I love this game too much to remain indifferent) I returned from work and conducted an experiment to dispel all doubts and cut off speculation :D

It is now noon in Vancouver. I hope that the developers look at the forum to start taking action

To clarify, did you determine it was the rocket itself, or the temperature changes wreaking havoc on the CPU?

I started getting the stuttering insanely bad yesterday. Read a thread from few days ago suggesting to fill tiles out, spent a while doing that to no avail.

Discovered this thread and saw it matched my issue exactly minus the rocket - I haven't built one yet, but all I have to do to get the stutter going is to start up the smelter. I played extensively on the last update, had colonies reach 900 cycles and whatnot with varying builds, extremely large bases but never encountered anything remotely close to this type of stutter.

I ran into a complete lock-up when I attempted to mine out the bottom of my water resevoir, if anyone can make sense of that.  I first attempted to build ladders/mine it out, as soon as the dupes broke ground, it lagged until it locked up. force closed out of the game, reloaded, told them to mine it all instead, as soon as they started mining, lag-fest until I couldn't move again. Decided to not try it a third time and simply extended my resevoir to the left by 5 tiles instead, which went fine.

10 degree diff in temperature between water at the top and water at the bottom

base.png

Water.png

water-highlight.jpg

3 minutes ago, Radam said:

I have a suspicion that the main reason jetpacks drop framerate is all the additional individual items of regolith. 

I foresaw this moment and cleared everything before.

I was messing in debug, a "million" tons of igneous rock pieces in a vacuum room. Full map of gas moving around. 35 or so fps. Spawn a duplicant or a few in that room, 25 fps. 

So it better to have sweepers filling a container than dupes having access to the whole storage. 

2 minutes ago, Radam said:

I was messing in debug, a "million" tons of igneous rock pieces in a vacuum room. Full map of gas moving around. 35 or so fps. Spawn a duplicant or a few in that room, 25 fps. 

So it better to have sweepers filling a container than dupes having access to the whole storage. 

let’s leave it at the mercy of the developers. If they read the forum, they will see it. In any case, the problem is with spacewalk.

2 minutes ago, aresd said:

let’s leave it at the mercy of the developers. If they read the forum, they will see it. In any case, the problem is with spacewalk.

Post like this shows up on these forums at least every other week. Since Alpha. I'm still waiting.

18 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

Post like this shows up on these forums at least every other week. Since Alpha. I'm still waiting.

Except this time it's different because the game was actually running decently during QoL Mk3 and now performance has worsened. Has there been any other point in the game's history where performance actually took a step backwards

It's one thing if the game has been running poorly from the get go but in this case performance improved, then regressed right back to square one again. That's certainly unprecedented.

Jetpack pathing is still a nightmare. It was terrible at first, then they tweaked it and it improved before it hit mainline alpha. Then (if my memory serves), they split dupe pathing off into a seperate thread and that still improved it... but I think most players still avoided it since it killed fps. I still do. Which is a shame, cuz it's a fun, cool feature.

I haven't read all the middle posts on the thread so maybe it's already been covered, but rockets seem to bog down the game alot too. Seems like each launch/landing, the game slows down a bit, and just slows down more and more with each consecutive rocket cycle, until you reload, when it starts working again. That was a huge source of late-game lag for me.

Ok, but jet suits are just a small part of the game. When the performance of the whole game takes a step backwards it's hard to ignore, plus rockets, as of right now, are currently unplayable because there is so much stuttering when you start launching them. Rockets comprise a much more significant part of the game compared to jet suits. 

5 minutes ago, SamuraiJones said:

Jetpack pathing is still a nightmare. It was terrible at first, then they tweaked it and it improved before it hit mainline alpha. Then (if my memory serves), they split dupe pathing off into a seperate thread and that still improved it... but I think most players still avoided it since it killed fps. I still do. Which is a shame, cuz it's a fun, cool feature.

I haven't read all the middle posts on the thread so maybe it's already been covered, but rockets seem to bog down the game alot too. Seems like each launch/landing, the game slows down a bit, and just slows down more and more with each consecutive rocket cycle, until you reload, when it starts working again. That was a huge source of late-game lag for me.

Well rockets only started adversely affecting performance recently I think, I certainly don't recall having performance issues with rockets six months ago.

Unrelated note... I am terrifically amused that you've got #notmycomputer

I also have a pretty powerful machine (albeit, a bit overdue for a reformat), and it's still pretty rough for me.

6 minutes ago, selereth said:

Well rockets only started adversely affecting performance recently I think, I certainly don't recall having performance issues with rockets six months ago.

That was my perception as well.

Has there been any word from the devs on this? I know they just hit full release, and they probably need a break after the pre-launch rush, but it seems like this is a major issue.

1 hour ago, SamuraiJones said:

Unrelated note... I am terrifically amused that you've got #notmycomputer

I also have a pretty powerful machine (albeit, a bit overdue for a reformat), and it's still pretty rough for me.

That was my perception as well.

Has there been any word from the devs on this? I know they just hit full release, and they probably need a break after the pre-launch rush, but it seems like this is a major issue.

To be honest, I don't think they were even aware of the performance issues, they were so focused on launching the game and making sure all of the other major bugs were patched. Plus, it was a long weekend here in Canada so they probably took today off, they should be back tomorrow and hopefully we'll hear something from them regarding the issue within the next week or so. 

• Developer

Hi folks, if those of you having sudden performance and memory issues could post your save files along with system specs, it would help us correlate the systems causing the problems. In any case, we were indeed on holiday today but will look into this tomorrow! :) 

8 hours ago, aresd said:

I confirm. Launched in sandbox mode. As soon as a duplicate runs into a rocket, frames begin to be swallowed. As soon as the rocket takes off, hell begins - a slideshow occurs on the monitor.

I tried to destroy the temperature - this tool does not work the way it works if the game is started in sandbox mode from the very beginning. It sets the temperature in Kelvin, although Celsius is selected, and Kelvin has a negative scale, but it is limited to -15 degrees. B*llsh*t. I went the other way - I simply destroyed all the gases, replacing them with a vacuum. Nothing changed. It's a rocket, gentlemen. Perhaps the object is not destroyed for a while, but simply displayed outside the map, where it continues to be spent fuel, supposedly for realism?

Call to ICAO, must suspend all civilian flights until the end of the investigation

Ok, so, I don't know what level of stuttering you experience from rockets launching, but I run the game on Linux and I do not experience any noticeable lag from a rocket launching, at worst I may go from my usual 27 FPS to 20 FPS (in a ~1000 cycle base with 20 dupes, whole map explored); much worse was the FPS loss from having a menu open and then panning the view, which cut my FPS in half before it was fixed.

My computer's specs are similar to OP's, overclocked i7 2600K (4,4 Ghz), 32 GB Ram, and suitable graphics card, desktop PC.

53 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Hi folks, if those of you having sudden performance and memory issues could post your save files along with system specs, it would help us correlate the systems causing the problems. In any case, we were indeed on holiday today but will look into this tomorrow! :) 

Processor I5-8700K 4.57Ghz,

RAM 32GB DDR4,

MB Asus Strix Z370-H,

Video Nvidia GTX1080 8gb,

SSD 

Поехавшая кукуха.sav

P.S I take this opportunity to ask fix gross translation mistakes in Russian :?:?

32 minutes ago, Pentalis said:

Ok, so, I don't know what level of stuttering you experience from rockets launching, but I run the game on Linux and I do not experience any noticeable lag from a rocket launching, at worst I may go from my usual 27 FPS to 20 FPS (in a ~1000 cycle base with 20 dupes, whole map explored); much worse was the FPS loss from having a menu open and then panning the view, which cut my FPS in half before it was fixed.

My computer's specs are similar to OP's, overclocked i7 2600K (4,4 Ghz), 32 GB Ram, and suitable graphics card, desktop PC.

So this is a problem specifically Windows, maybe. I too lazy for test it in Linux :D

2 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

You should have many saves from the crash reports surely? This laggy stuttering can lead to a full lock up if you continue for long enough. Take a look at any decent size save file (10 meg plus).

I'd suggest 900+ cycles, 24+ dupes, fully explored asteroid and a reasonable expansive base. Brace yourself :p 

9 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

You should have many saves from the crash reports surely? This laggy stuttering can lead to a full lock up if you continue for long enough. Take a look at any decent size save file (10 meg plus).

I'd suggest 900+ cycles, 24+ dupes, fully explored asteroid and a reasonable expansive base. Brace yourself :p 

Talk less, work more. The developer asked, do you really feel miserliness?) Do not exaggerate the activity of the forum, it is unlikely to overwhelm it with a huge number of saves)

6 hours ago, Pentalis said:

10 minutes ago, Ellilea said:

. but I fear it might just be my processor :(

I can heal your fear, read the specs from Pentalis..

Archived