Performance of the game post launch is terrible

Boy is the game running like crap post launch. Currently running a cycle 347 base with 15 dupes and some of the worst frame rates I have ever witnessed in the history of playing this game, dating all the way back to December 2017. I'm also experiencing a fair amount of stuttering too, where the frame rate, which is normally running in the 35-45 FPS range, will drop to 20 FPS for a split second, then shoot back up. I haven't even breached space yet! I would expect this type of performance in the beta, and ironically enough, this is the exact same performance that I was getting in the beta. My computer isn't being taxed in the slightest, only 40% of my CPU power is being utilized. My GPU is playing this game with its figurative eyes closed, and yet I can't even sustain 50 FPS. 

QoL Mk3, for those of you who played it, the performance then was SO MUCH BETTER. I had a base with 23 dupes and almost the entire map revealed and was getting the same frame rate then that I am getting now. It's unbelievable really. How they could regress the optimization of the game for the final release really is beyond me. I hope that all of this is caused by the temp calculation because right now, this is really bad. Luckily for Klei, most new players won't progress far enough into the game to run into performance problems. 

And before anyone tells me it's my computer, trust me, it's really not. Like I said, I've had bases in the past that were twice as big and ran more smoothly, so if the game could run as well then, it can run as well now. The devs really need to take a long hard look at the changes they've made to their code recently and determine what the root issue is. People with more monstrous computers than mine will obviously be able to brute force their way to 60 FPS no matter what simply by virtue of sheer computing power, but I don't have a top of the line rig so I rely heavily upon code working properly and similarly to how it was running beforehand. 

Poor Performance August 4 2019.png

16 minutes ago, selereth said:

And before anyone tells me it's my computer, trust me, it's really not. Like I said, I've had bases in the past that were twice as big and ran more smoothly, so if the game could run as well then, it can run as well now. The devs really need to take a long hard look at the changes they've made to their code recently and determine what the root issue is.

I wonder if this has to do with the "fix" to matter conversion. One fix could lead to a possibly infinite recursive loop (easily told to stop checking after some large number of checks) that kicks in anytime two gasses of different types interact (so all over the map). If you delete all your gasses and replace them with vacuum, does your frame rate shoot way up? If so, then I'd place my money on this being the issue.

It feels like theres an incredible memory dump issue - tonight I clocked ONIs memory usage at 24gb...

I'm currently cycle ~800ish in a fairly large, but fairly optimised base. Restarting the client reset memory usage to ~5gb, but soon ramped up to 10-12gb again.

tl;dr - "launch" upgrade currently sucks balls in the late game. May need some swift fixes.

7 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

It feels like theres an incredible memory dump issue - tonight I clocked ONIs memory usage at 24gb...

I'm currently cycle ~800ish in a fairly large, but fairly optimised base. Restarting the client reset memory usage to ~5gb, but soon ramped up to 10-12gb again.

tl;dr - "launch" upgrade currently sucks balls in the late game. May need some swift fixes.

Someone with more knowledge may be able to correct me on this, but how would increased memory usage affect frame rates? Unless it's some sort of latency issue where the game is constantly swapping data from memory, that's the only explanation I can think of. 

2 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

It's not so much FPS loss, as frequent "pauses" where the game freezes for 4-5 seconds at a time.

Think the new cycle lag, but every 30 seconds.

Ah, so basically what I'm getting, a stuttering of sorts. My game is only using 5 GB right now, I haven't seen it increase all that much in the last hour of playing. Might have gone up by 500 or so MB?

Someone else posted elsewhere that the cycle reports are stored in memory or something like that, which could be causing the memory dump issue. 

45 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

I wonder if this has to do with the "fix" to matter conversion. 

Many of us worried about this when imagining potential fixes to matter conversion (it might just be checking 4 times every time a vacuum tries to get filled). I'd much prefer alchemy shenanigans if so.

22 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

It's not so much FPS loss, as frequent "pauses" where the game freezes for 4-5 seconds at a time.

Think the new cycle lag, but every 30 seconds.

Yup I am getting the same issue, and I have a pretty beafy system. I7-8700k, with a 1080 TI. And 32GB of RAM.  And running off a Samsung M.2.  Something ain't right. 

2 hours ago, nafeasonto said:

Yup I am getting the same issue, and I have a pretty beafy system. I7-8700k, with a 1080 TI. And 32GB of RAM.  And running off a Samsung M.2.  Something ain't right. 

2700x, 1070ti, 32gb ram - no slouch here either. At least we know it isn't cpu manufacturer related :D 

2 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Agreed.  If it's a choice between great game performance with shenanigans, or no shenanigans but crappy performance, bring back the shenanigans.... (slapped myself in the face a few times @Darkin Coaled). 

No please... keep game clean of glitchs... they will find a way without reverting back, I'm confident !

7 hours ago, selereth said:

. My GPU is playing this game with its figurative eyes closed, and yet I can't even sustain 50 FPS. 

This might be because afaik the game doesn't access the GPU at all, it's running merely on CPU

Edit: Also, now that the weekend is over, we might see some more fixes, too. They did patch on Thursday, but I'd imagine both the memory dump and other lag issues not to be easily recognizable...

I reported this  already during preview testing.  People insisted it was some debug tool in the background and everything is going to be faster on launch.  Here we are.   I even said there is a memory leak problem whenever you load a save file  after the first loading it gets worst and worst.        And here we are.  Other people reporting the same issues I had said. 

Nobody wanted to test confirm what I said during testing. 

I'm one experiencing massive hitching upon launching a rocket. For me it happens the instant a rocket begins launching regardless of having a cargo bay. Restarting immediately fixes it. So in my case it's not tied to to temperature or vacuum, it is merely the launching of a rocket itself.

11 hours ago, selereth said:

Luckily for Klei, most new players won't progress far enough into the game to run into performance problems. 

Rather, because the documentation for the game is so scarce. Too scarce. Very bad documentation.
A classic example is to find information on the transformation of a substance from one to another in the game’s directory. Dirty water in steam and dirt? Have you found? Not. And dirt is a consumable resource, the need for which does not weaken at any stage of the game.
 That's what game developers think of you. If you didn’t guess what they had in mind, then you are not worthy to play their game, stupid person.

11 hours ago, mathmanican said:

I wonder if this has to do with the "fix" to matter conversion. One fix could lead to a possibly infinite recursive loop (easily told to stop checking after some large number of checks) that kicks in anytime two gasses of different types interact (so all over the map). If you delete all your gasses and replace them with vacuum, does your frame rate shoot way up? If so, then I'd place my money on this being the issue.

I did such a test in the sandbox. It works. But this does not increase or decrease the load on the processor or video card. I just see frame interruptions. It looks like a FPS loss, but it is not a FPS loss. This is the congestion of the processing queue.

10 hours ago, selereth said:

Someone with more knowledge may be able to correct me on this, but how would increased memory usage affect frame rates? Unless it's some sort of latency issue where the game is constantly swapping data from memory, that's the only explanation I can think of. 

This is exactly what I mean in this post, just. I just comment in the course of reading the forum))

1 hour ago, RonEmpire said:

I reported this  already during preview testing.  People insisted it was some debug tool in the background and everything is going to be faster on launch.  Here we are.   I even said there is a memory leak problem whenever you load a save file  after the first loading it gets worst and worst.        And here we are.  Other people reporting the same issues I had said. 

Nobody wanted to test confirm what I said during testing. 

Time to reap the laurels of the time when you were one against all. Now you are the winner :))

17 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

I'm one experiencing massive hitching upon launching a rocket. For me it happens the instant a rocket begins launching. Restarting immediately fixes it. So in my case it's not tied to to temperature or vacuum, it is merely the launching of a rocket itself.

Hmm. It also begins permanently hitching after landing, and restarting also immediately fixes it.

the rocket at launch emits a large amount of steam with a high temperature. There is an active phase of temperature exchange. I did a sandbox test with many blocks of gases with different extreme temperatures and mixed them. I got about the same effect, not as pronounced as in the late game, but creating ideal conditions for the test is very difficult. However, in some ways this can help developers go in the right direction to find a problem.

I'm using a petroleum rocket, so it's all CO2. Because I can fix it by an immediate reload, and because it happens the instant a launch sequence begins (before any exhaust), I can prove it is not the temperature / vacuum interaction in my case.

11 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

I'm using a petroleum rocket, so it's all CO2. Because I can fix it by an immediate reload, I can prove it is not the temperature / vacuum interaction in my case.

Still high gas temperatures, no matter what fuel is used. I propose to conduct an experiment - turn on sandbox mode, launch a rocket and immediately use a heat gun to lower the temperature to an acceptable

4 hours ago, xialeth said:

This might be because afaik the game doesn't access the GPU at all, it's running merely on CPU

Edit: Also, now that the weekend is over, we might see some more fixes, too. They did patch on Thursday, but I'd imagine both the memory dump and other lag issues not to be easily recognizable...

What? The game doesn't use GPU at all? That would be kinda crazy..... I'm pretty sure that's not right

3 minutes ago, Dextrome said:

What? The game doesn't use GPU at all? That would be kinda crazy..... I'm pretty sure that's not right

the game draws graphics with a pencil, don’t you put pencils into your computer? you need to constantly refill your computer with pencils, red, green and blue. Some pros replace them with black and white, gaining an increase in efficiency by reducing the color depth. Oh, your whole life you have not used your computer to its full potential, madman

14 minutes ago, Dextrome said:

If you have a computer with a discrete graphics card and integrated graphics o the CPU, try disabling the discrete graphics card and you'll find there is zero performance difference. So yeah, naturally it does "use" a GPU but it doesn't have any effect on performance which one it is. An i7 iGPU runs this game just as well as a 2080ti.

Archived