Bearger should spawn in the first Autumn

44 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

To satisfy both ends of the spectrum, why not do the Terraria route and have a method of causing a summon?

For instance, having an idol similar to the perd thing but with honey to lure the bearger out.

This'd keep the new players safe and let the experienced players go out of their way to get one in first autumn with default settings.

This.

Also I think that to satisfy all the levels of players, from game is too easy to game is too hard, there should be a normal mode (more or less the same as now) and a hardcore mode which comes already with a set of setting  and shows on the server type.

Spoiler

I've been thinking that maybe a hardcore mode should have some sort of evolution of the world, EG as the years go by, the game evolves. Raid bosses defeated for a second time will have a different AI, for example bee queen grumbles start ignoring walls, bee queen starts avoiding tentacles or destroying gemerators first, etc.

Also season bosses could get better: Year one you get the same as now, Year 2 you get 2 deerclops instead of 1, with new attacks (sort of like laser deerclops), year 3 you get 3, and so on to a cap of 5.

After you defeat Ancient Guardian shadows start popping through surface fissures, and nightmare phases strat happening on the surface as well. Hound waves could be replaced randomly with raids of other creatures, so you never know what's going to attack you. EG: Imagine mid winter a raiding party of 4 mactusks per player comes looking for you, then the next dozens of batlisks attack you, etc.

There are a lot of things that could be added to turn your game slowly into a nightmare you have to prepare more and more to survive.

Of course no matter how hard you make the game people will always learn, adapt, and say its too easy again (mostly pro players) but im sure that a challenge mode desgined by Klei would keep em busy for a while.

4 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

To satisfy both ends of the spectrum, why not do the Terraria route and have a method of causing a summon?

For instance, having an idol similar to the perd thing but with honey to lure the bearger out.

This'd keep the new players safe and let the experienced players go out of their way to get one in first autumn with default settings.

I can imagine the sheer number of people that'd purposefully spawn Bearger in a pub full of noobs to get reactions and/or chaos.

I'd be one of those people.

I think the thing is, it's not even a question of difficulty. Bearger can be ignored indefinitely for several seasons. And if you use him to chop wood, or use his furs for the insulated pack/hibernation vest, then the game actually becomes easier.

My main problem which no one has talked about is that he's locked into the second autumn which few players even get to. There's a ton of content in the game that is locked into time constraints. Pretty much all of summer content is rarely experienced by new players. For perspective it takes 9.33 hours just to make it to the second autumn to see Bearger for the first time.

Bearger is a challenge to fight as all bosses should be, but really he is one of the least challenging bosses alongside Deerclops. I think he should show up in the first Autumn so that players can actually experience Bearger and they can easily ignore him if they aren't prepared.

12 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

-snip-

This situation only really applies to pubs though. In any other situation you’re given the ability to save and take breaks, which most players will do if they’re interested in getting to late game content. So it’s not really a matter of not experiencing things. 

Unless they die beforehand, but hey, dying is a big part of learning the game.

I remember when RoG come out in sp and actually Bearger was showing himself during first autumn. That was some kind of trial for me at first cause I wasn't an experienced player at that time. Despite this I learned how to beat him in an early game quite easy but was always in stress not knowing when exactly he's gonna appear. I felt relieved when he was moved to second year's autumn tho. Kinda missed all the wood he left but you know, I think first season should be peaceful like it is or just like I said earlier "optional" through world generation options. First season is about learning to new players and as an experienced player I kinda like this free time to explore whole map, build solid base and prepare for winter too.

If you really want him that bad then just use console dude.

No it's exactly about a matter of experiencing things. A boss that is only available past day 70 is definitively going to be experienced less than other bosses. I've been playing for years and I next to never see Bearger in game.

18 minutes ago, Prajdo said:

If you really want him that bad then just use console dude.

first sentence of my post says I play public servers on survival mode. This is how many people play the default game. The console is manipulating the game to cheat, and not available on public servers. 

24 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

A boss that is only available past day 70 is definitively going to be experienced less than other bosses. I've been playing for years and I next to never see Bearger in game.

Did you ever see Antlion ingame? She spawns way earlier than Bearger, but she does not spawn next to you. Instead she spawns in a biome where your vision & speed are reduced by ~50%. And unlike Bearger she also despawns after 15 days. Many players spend summer in the caves because of heat & wildfires.

When I started playing DST, Bearger appeared way more often than Antlion.

Yes? Seeing antlion is mandatory to prevent earthquakes and crafting the deserter. The antlion spawns in the safest biome in summer where nothing will smolder, and also desert goggles exist. Oasis basing is a no brainier. I already said that I don't like that summer content is restricted to day 56. I think there should be something like a season trap but less gimmicky in every world to advance seasons, but that's off topic. Bearger is definitively the last boss available to the player because he's limited to the second autumn, day 71+, nothing else is time restricted like that, even though he's one of the easiest bosses with desirable loot.

As I said, if only applies to public servers. Yes, lots of people play on them, but they do so with full knowledge that what they do won’t be saved, and that their run will come to an end as soon as they leave. Bearger, just simply, is an endgame boss; to fight it, you have to get to the endgame.

41 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

Yes? Seeing antlion is mandatory to prevent earthquakes and crafting the deserter. The antlion spawns in the safest biome in summer where nothing will smolder, and also desert goggles exist. Oasis basing is a no brainier. I already said that I don't like that summer content is restricted to day 56. I think there should be something like a season trap but less gimmicky in every world to advance seasons, but that's off topic. Bearger is definitively the last boss available to the player because he's limited to the second autumn, day 71+, nothing else is time restricted like that, even though he's one of the easiest bosses with desirable loot.

Just because a boss is easy doesn’t mean it has to be one of the first you face. The only thing qualifying an endgame boss as endgame is if it happens near the end.

Besides, the desirable loot should be a reason to hold out. Want to get it? You have to go the distance.

Every newcomer who starts playing DST as Wilson should have a chance to play this game on their own. Spawning a Bearger during the 1st autumn which will ruin the base will also ruin the fun with Deerclops, who's supposed to be the 1st boss you encounter. Players will either be prepared for Deerclops or not reach winter at all, because of Bearger.

Not everyone knows that the Antlion excists at all, because not everyone is a +500 hours DST player. 

Yes, let's take theoretical worst case scenarios and point at how bad at is. It's called playing the game and learning from mistakes and progressing. There is no where written that says Deerclops is "supposed" to be there first boss, he just happens to be.

3 hours ago, YouKnowWho said:

Just because a boss is easy doesn’t mean it has to be one of the first you face. The only thing qualifying an endgame boss as endgame is if it happens near the end.

Besides, the desirable loot should be a reason to hold out. Want to get it? You have to go the distance.

Obviously, I'm saying it'd make sense to not lock an easy boss as the last boss. It's loot is desirable, but definitely not for day 71+ 

26 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

Obviously, I'm saying it'd make sense to not lock an easy boss as the last boss. It's loot is desirable, but definitely not for day 71+ 

In no way is it locked. As said before, it’s only locked to those who don’t, y’know, play the game to the point to get there. You may not be able to accomplish this is pubs, but that does no way mean there’s players out there, clueless of the experience that is fighting the bearger, Changing everybody’s experience of the game just because of other’s time constraints doesn’t make sense. 

It's first appearance is locked to second autumn, that's a fact, and that's all I've said.

I would still have the conversation because I'm saying default DST should bring Bearger to first autumn, just like every other season boss appears on the first instance of their season. Map presets is a different conversation to me.

5 hours ago, Bird Up said:

It's first appearance is locked to second autumn, that's a fact, and that's all I've said.

I would still have the conversation because I'm saying default DST should bring Bearger to first autumn, just like every other season boss appears on the first instance of their season. Map presets is a different conversation to me.

Bearger is one of the hardest bosses in DST in terms of destructiveness. Deerclops on Day 30 is already such a huge filter that only a small portion of the players of the game manage to pass it- he's almost a rite to passage for new players. I wouldn't want to spice that up with a Bearger too, he's good for 2nd Autumn imo. Seasonal bosses progressively get harder and I'm fine with Bearger being the last one in line after Deerclops, Goose/Goose and Antlion. 

Archived