Is there anything that needs to be fleshed out post-launch?

Some of the things i would like to see:

- better (late-) game performance

- grassy moos reproduce and generate x2 more natural gas

- metal cannon bug gets fixed

- tempedizer can not be tricked to keep working when to hot

- monument doesn't melt in weard ways

- sulfur has a reason to exist

11 hours ago, Sturm58 said:

Replacing ingenous rock insulated pipes with ceramic ones does not work. You have to disassemble  them and create again.

In general, updating utility buildings (read pipes, wires et al) should be easier. Sometimes I want to replace copper wires in place of iron or gold.

Just now, Red Shark said:

I think this is already possible. Brothgar did it in his megabase.

I tested prior to the sleet wheat change, so it's possible they added it in at the same time and didn't list it in the patch notes.

13 hours ago, goboking said:

So now that ONI has officially launched, are there any aspects of the game that still need to be fleshed out?  For the scope of this discussion, let's assume that work on optimization and bug fixes is a given and focus on filling gaps in existing game play (as opposed to new features that make more sense in DLC).  I can think of four off the top of my head.

1. Unwanted Abyssalite - I often see people pine for ways of converting or destroying waste abyssalite.  The simplest solution is to let us dispose of it via rock crusher.  Alternative solutions include refining it into something more useful, garbage modules for rockets that allow us to dump unwanted materials (not just abyssalite) into space, or, more drastically, have it destroyed when mined (changing the recipe for Insulation accordingly).
  2. Sulfur - There is still no use for sulfur.  I'm not sure there needs to be one, per se, but I find it odd that there is no use for this byproduct considering the game is all about production chains.
  3. Bleach Stone Manufacturing - I don't think this one is a high priority, but I've always felt that ranching should be an alternative to industrial production, not a substitute for it.  The oxylite refinery could be reworked so it can make bleach stone out of chlorine, or a new building could fill a similar role.
  4. Doctors - Without commenting on the state of illnesses - a discussion we've had in depth elsewhere - I want to touch on the end-game utility of specialized doctors.  They're useful for treating the occasional illness or the odd injury, but there isn't much for them to do in the end-game.  Those of us who were participants in ONI's early access might remember how dedicated researchers became obsolete the moment the tech tree was fully researched.  Then their role was expanded to include geological survey, then again to include astronomy and researching space tech.  I'd like to see a similar progression for doctors: perhaps through dedicated medical research, genetic modification of plants, critters, or even dupes, or the removal of instant-cures so there's a reason for quarantine and ongoing healthcare.

Is there anything else you feel needs to be addressed before the developers start tackling new features/working on DLC?

I feel "insulation" is pointless; ceramic does a good-enough job and vacuum is always an option with near identical insulative properties, so why should space materials get me this useless crap? Just remove abyssalite from the game and replace it with mafic rock mixed with igneous and obsidian, with a useful recipe to make iron and sand in the rock crusher, and don't spawn cold biomes next to hot biomes.
Sulfur is for sure going to be important for nuclear stuff, which is likely coming in the next big patch or the first DLC, since there are unobtainable nuclear materials with partial data added in the launch release.
Doctors would be great if they provided some guarantee of critter breeding. Imagine being able to make sure pufts never spawn princes, and only the ones you want. I feel though that disease should be something where doctors rapidly fix it, and it be more controllable (the update making it so it doesn't come on quite as randomly still didn't make for any way to truly ensure prevention, and when I do end up preventing it it's mostly by accident).

12 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Making air lure useful by turning it into a aerial trap

And make both kinds of traps multiple use. Seriously, they might as well not exist in their current state.

12 hours ago, Junksteel said:

I don't know if it will ever be a thing, but I dream being able to place tiles over plants. Having to uproot the plant in order to place a tile is the most annoying thing in the game for me atm.

Don't forget placing tiles over farming tiles. You can put them over regular tiles, but not the reverse, which is really frustrating and leads to a lot of entombed pips. Overall, I don't like how it's very easy to accidentally kill wild plants, yet they also are really annoying to get rid of, and your own plants create an equal headache to build over.

12 hours ago, Darkin Coaled said:

I'm gonna say overlays. They mostly do what you expect them to do but could use some upgrades.

• A gas/liquid pressure overlay. It is possible to overpressurize rooms. Oil often comes in 3x per-tile pressure pockets. Can we have some indication as to where ears will pop or something?
  • Thermal overlay really needs sliders to set where red starts and blue ends, For duplicant interaction the current settings are fine, but in an enclosed production plant you end up with everything being red/blue and that's that.
  • Material overlay seems to obey the hue change rules of biomes. I am quite sure when folks are trying to look at where there might be some stray non-igneus tiles and ladders they would like to see a set of plain colors throughout the base, regardless of how many biomes intersect right in the middle.

Good ideas, but I'd go further and say I hate the materials overlay aside of looking at metals to begin with, it's way too busy. This game brings on too many different material types on too small of areas too fast.

12 hours ago, nakomaru said:
  1. Make gas grass pip plantable. (that sounds weird)
  2. Ethanol gas usable in gas range.
  3. Moos reproduce.
  4. Digging no longer deletes mass. This will enable a multitude of conversion paths: coal>refined carbon, clay> ceramic, fertilizer> dirt, etc.
  5. Guaranteed Glimmering Planet spawn.
  6. Tepidizer/Heater works to overheat temperature.
  7. Floral scented oxygen gives benefits and is preserved by atmosuit equipment.
  8. Hot supercoolant (300-2500 range with high very high SHC).
  9. Flying critters wrangleable without a tricked drop-off.
  10. Probably, just let us build natural tiles or replacement.
  11. Change Ice Machine heat deletion from 20% to 50%. OR anything usable in Ice Machine.
  12. Much higher slickster output.
  13. Longhair Slicksters pee water.
  14. Mafic rock conversion path (crusher, hatch).
  15. Gas range requires tier 2 cooking.
  16. Aluminum and copper ores don't require discovery.
  17. Sporechilds available from Oily Asteroid.
  18. Sporechilds thrive in Natural Gas.
  19. Buddy Buds available from some some asteroid.
  20. Option to not disable mods on crash.
  21. Space travel works off of constant acceleration rather than constant velocity. (Duration goes up with square root of distance, as in real travel with more fuel.)

Make that ethanol gas usable in natural gas generator...it's a combustible gas, but currently the game doesn't really count it as such at all.
Wrangling pufts manually would make me very happy. Tepidizer thing would probably be unbalanced, cause it'd self-power with a turbine, but maybe they should finally just, you know, balance heat creation for power vs. power from heat.
If digging doesn't delete mass, mass on start should be halved or else there will be serious imbalance.
Also, space travel only works that way if you are doing brachistochrone trajectories, ONI's system is still wonky, but it makes some sense doing Hohmann transfers. Just make it so travel time is a bit less, but dupes "stay" at the destination to do stuff for 2 cycles, so that you can do easy math in your head to figure out how long, and yet it still levels off with further destinations.

As for things nobody's brought up yet, my own ideas:

• Fix relative thermal conductivities for refined metals and diamond. Aluminum is basically a low melting point thermium right now, and copper and gold are too similar to iron for building because they aren't much more thermally conductive (while they are much moreso than iron in real life). Diamond also should outclass the refined metals by a fair bit more.
  • Make puft princes not have a terrible 10% conversion rate, in contrast to the 95% of all other pufts. I get that they're supposed to be snobby princes, but they already have lower consumption rates, so either give them 50% so it's less of an issue, or outright give them 100% so the concept is they are taking in less to make sure it all comes out.
  • Make ranching less painful by giving us an actual way to "humanely" slaughter excess critters, either with a machine or a dupe errand set by the grooming station (rancher gets the critter up to it, but instead of a brushing, gives them a quick jab in the nerve center of the brain).
  • Bump up the carbon dioxide output of coal generators, natural gas generators, and duplicants, so that they're more on par with the petroleum generator and wood burner, then also buff the carbon skimmer slightly. Right now, the petroleum generator, carbon skimmer, and slicksters are balanced with respect to each other, but completely put everything else to shame, and this is much more apparent now that ethanol is a common power source.
  • Reduce polluted water offgassing, so it's less exploity for old players, and so new players don't get germ-flooded.
  • Related to the two above, make algae terraria great and remove the "oxygen diffuser". As to how to make them great, there are a lot of different ways, and my personal idea involves them being like oxyferns that spit out algae, and mush bars made from algae, but it'd be a big change, and there's other ways to just get them to be a tad less niche.
  • Reduce the ridiculousness of the metal refinery's power usage and heat output but also lower it to 75% refined metals from ore, with 25% of mass becoming a corresponding rock type, and make smooth hatches output 25% coal, so that smooth hatches have an actual point to them (basically acting like 1/4th the normal hatches and a metal refinery).
  • Raise aquatuner base overheat temperature to 175 C and require refined metal instead of metal ore, so that you can make gold/copper/iron/tungsten ones instead of steel for early turbine usage, then only need steel when you start getting into ridiculous territory. Note that you'd still need good heat transfer (230 C isn't that hard to hit if steam volume's low and no tempshift plates), but at least you don't need steel.
  • Reduce amount of gold amalgam on the may so you aren't ending up in a position where it's your main building material as fast, but have some actual gold mixed in like how lead is pre-refined in the oil biome. Basically, make metals more different and interesting in how they spawn and push players a bit more to think about how important refined metals are earlier (smooth hatches deserve to be what people try to do first a lot more).
  • Make shine bugs useful for power generation without exploits (bump up the lux), and fix those exploits (make critters care that there's X critters in tiles adjacent). Right now they're basically rats with wings that occasionally infect my drecko ranches and have to be slain, and I see no point to ranching them except those exploits.
  • Reduce domesticated egg-laying rates a bit so that we actually need to, like, farm for food too. It's become all too easy to only eat omelettes and cooked fish off of critters that need next to no food. It might help as well to fix that bug where critters calories go to full after eating anything...

2 hours ago, Nebbie said:

Bump up the carbon dioxide output of coal generators, natural gas generators, and duplicants, so that they're more on par with the petroleum generator and wood burner, then also buff the carbon skimmer slightly. Right now, the petroleum generator, carbon skimmer, and slicksters are balanced with respect to each other, but completely put everything else to shame, and this is much more apparent now that ethanol is a common power source.

I dunno about that. The old CO2 system existed to keep players from suffocating their bases in unbreathable air. It's kind of fun that some buildings create absurd levels of pollution that can't be managed with existing tools. You'll just have to build chimneys up to the space layer and vent it out to the void.

Germ system needs a complete rework.

Medicine system needs an overhaul.

Stress needs an overhaul.

All 3 of these seem to be really basic aspects of the game that are just not doing anything at all at this point, you can more or less just ignore them all.

Random events would be nice though that is maybe a mod thing.

1 hour ago, bobucles said:

I dunno about that. The old CO2 system existed to keep players from suffocating their bases in unbreathable air. It's kind of fun that some buildings create absurd levels of pollution that can't be managed with existing tools. You'll just have to build chimneys up to the space layer and vent it out to the void.

That makes plenty of sense for the petroleum generator you shove down in the oil biome and can have wild slicksters deal with until you get some big space pipe going. It makes far, far less sense for the petroleum generator (or wood burner) you design your whole base around in forest starts. It's just a very weird asymmetry that I don't think was intended, and it'd be nice to see a little more reason to use algae terraria and carbon skimmers, without needing absurd amounts of them.

Make finish number of skillpoints like 10 or 15 and after that stop accumulating them. After some time every dupe i have has 20+ skills and i do not pay attention to this message anymore ( which sometimes make me forget to assign skills to new dupes), or make higher tiers cost more. 

Food needs a bit more polish.   Morale on the best food is still same as not best food.  Effort in making the best food gives same morale as pepper bread.   And spicy tofu requires more effort than pepper bread.     

Morale bonus value isn't even displayed on the recipe.  You have to craft it first to even find out what it is.  Since it does not show up on  the consumables  bar til you have it.  

I don't agree. Convert it to polluted water via skimmer, and feed it to the thimble reed farm. You will have excess fiber. Fiber + abyssalite + isoresin = insulation.

In my last game i killed all my slicksters to get as much polluted water i can. 

6 hours ago, ONIfreak said:

Make finish number of skillpoints like 10

Why 10? Even basic facilities allow for more morale, and dupes can benefit from more than 3 full trees even if they are specialized. Suits + build + eng for an engineer is a minimum, and then you might want to add learning and plumbing, for example. Same goes for suits + dig + build - you need 10 just to give the dupe all he absolutely needs. With interests, limiting by 10 will render most of higher morale elements obsolete.Not to mention that it will make low-dupe colonies unplayable due to technologies being simply locked out. If there's a limit, it should match the sum of the whole skills tree.

Making higher tiers cost more will slow down the game. I do have all the facilities (research, exos, infrastructure) to use mechatronics engineer and top-level digger exactly when they become available in skill points terms together with exos proficiency, and I did play on harder maps. On easier maps that would be even faster and I will have to wait for points a bit. Making player wait for points would be a bad design, similar to forcing them try to get stuff done with dupes without suits or dupes without skill for suits.

22 minutes ago, miauly said:

Why 10? Even basic facilities allow for more morale, and dupes can benefit from more than 3 full trees even if they are specialized. Suits + build + eng for an engineer is a minimum, and then you might want to add learning and plumbing, for example. Same goes for suits + dig + build - you need 10 just to give the dupe all he absolutely needs. With interests, limiting by 10 will render most of higher morale elements obsolete.Not to mention that it will make low-dupe colonies unplayable due to technologies being simply locked out. If there's a limit, it should match the sum of the whole skills tree.

Making higher tiers cost more will slow down the game. I do have all the facilities (research, exos, infrastructure) to use mechatronics engineer and top-level digger exactly when they become available in skill points terms together with exos proficiency, and I did play on harder maps. On easier maps that would be even faster and I will have to wait for points a bit. Making player wait for points would be a bad design, similar to forcing them try to get stuff done with dupes without suits or dupes without skill for suits.

Ok so 15. ;)

My point was that it might be good to have a look at skills system as for now it stop make sense in about cycle 200 and new skill notifications is one of this things "always there".

6 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

Food needs a bit more polish.   Morale on the best food is still same as not best food.  Effort in making the best food gives same morale as pepper bread.   And spicy tofu requires more effort than pepper bread.     

Morale bonus value isn't even displayed on the recipe.  You have to craft it first to even find out what it is.  Since it does not show up on  the consumables  bar til you have it.  

I'm pretty sure the 6 quality is there so you an use the burger to make dupes with the picky eater trait get the maximum food morale.

Two more cents from me:

- can we make so critters don't get stuck in just built blocks and inside doors if there is open space where they can be moved (just like objects and dupes)?

- ability to make so dupes can take food for eating only from containers. It gets annoying when dupes run somewhere far away to pickup something to eat from the ground.

My personal list:

Wood burners should respect the battery charge (like coal gens).

Pacu should get cramped based on the amount of water not the size of the room (overcrowdin already works like that).

Mesh/airflow tiles should no longer let light pass through (maybe let 50% pass?)

Algae terrariums should consume CO2 again.

I probably should report the above as bugs. I just need to confirm they happen this version as well.

Balm lilly should have a purpose in asteroids without slime.

Dupes should go eat during work before you get a "starving" notice. (similar to how other needs work)

Arboria food variety (and forest starts in general) should be adressed. No bristle berry on the map removes a lot of recipies and makes getting certain shinebug morphs almost imposiible. Sun bugs are needed for the zombie spore cure.

I think i`ll make suggestion threads about those.

Archived