The Inifinihatch Farm! (actually just 800)

I've got a couple of questions:

1. Why is it needed to power the doors? Will not the amount of open time still be 12 sec if the filter is set to 10sec to account for the opening lag? (Actual numbers may differ)

2. Is there any difference between wild and tamed hatches in this arrangement?

3. What is the incentive to have the door closed for more than the required 13 sec?

4. What is the efficiency difference (if any) between the builds suggested by @Yunru @Saturnus and @Radam, given all 3 are hooked to an oscillator?

1 hour ago, Le0n1des said:

I've got a couple of questions:

1. Why is it needed to power the doors? Will not the amount of open time still be 12 sec if the filter is set to 10sec to account for the opening lag? (Actual numbers may differ)

2. Is there any difference between wild and tamed hatches in this arrangement?

3. What is the incentive to have the door closed for more than the required 13 sec?

4. What is the efficiency difference (if any) between the builds suggested by @Yunru @Saturnus and @Radam, given all 3 are hooked to an oscillator?

In order:

1. They aren't :p (except maybe if you're trying to maximise number of times open)

2. Tamed hatches are easier to find en-mass

3. There really isn't any, as long as it's closed overall enough for them to produce eggs

On 7/31/2019 at 6:30 PM, Yunru said:

Each hatch will burn 476 kcal per cycle.

image.thumb.png.52a52fe044d81d3d20be53eb14e683de.png

I don't get it... If you lock hatch inside doors what happens?
According to my tests they are "Burrowed" but don't become Groomed.
What makes them Groomed in your first picture?

I don't rly get it either... I tried copying some of these designs, but how do u get the hatches on the door tile in the first place?

Eggs keeps getting pushed away when the door closes... do  you have to hatch them and then wrangle them over there or something? 

My alternative solution for now is just storing all hatches in a single tile and dropping some food in there once a day.... is this somehow less efficient?

1 hour ago, Dextrome said:

I don't rly get it either... I tried copying some of these designs, but how do u get the hatches on the door tile in the first place?

You ship in eggs, not hatches. The idea is that you have a hatch farm, and you ship excess eggs into this storage. You can ship in eggs from wild or tamed hatches as you like but if you want coal production then eggs from tamed hatches is the way to go.

Eggs keeps getting pushed away when the door closes... do  you have to hatch them and then wrangle them over there or something? 

That's the point. The eggs will hatch on their own in 10 cycles. You do not have to do anything.

My alternative solution for now is just storing all hatches in a single tile and dropping some food in there once a day.... is this somehow less efficient?

That means your hatches will most likely die out without reproducing eventually.

I think it is very efficient (as there is no work at all) but if you are doing it for meat they might eat it before your dupes pick it without auto sweeper.

You only need to make sure hatches do not get cramped so they keep their numbers.

I almost lost my 50 pacus when I accidentally make their open area too small "room" after I build very tall natural reserves on both sides of my base center.

For hatches other solution then very big open "room" is to give them natural tiles to burrow. (but big open room is easy as it counts also through water locks).

5 hours ago, Saturnus said:

That means your hatches will most likely die out without reproducing eventually.

My domesticated critter count only goes up and never down though... they seem to reproduce just fine as long as they're tame and don't starve and the room size is big enough (I'm guessing the door method is to circumvent any room size penalties?)

5 hours ago, bzgzd said:

I think it is very efficient (as there is no work at all) but if you are doing it for meat they might eat it before your dupes pick it without auto sweeper.

Ah yes, indeed, I do have an auto sweeper set up for refined metal, coal, egg shells & meat :)

2 hours ago, Dextrome said:

My domesticated critter count only goes up and never down though... they seem to reproduce just fine as long as they're tame and don't starve and the room size is big enough (I'm guessing the door method is to circumvent any room size penalties?)

Even an "infinite room" has limitations. I can't recall the exact number of hatches you can store in one place but it's far far less than what the storage solutions herein provides.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:13 PM, Saturnus said:

Even an "infinite room" has limitations. I can't recall the exact number of hatches you can store in one place but it's far far less than what the storage solutions herein provides.

Ok, I get it now... just wasn't sure what keeping them behind a door was actually for xD

16 minutes ago, lbphero said:

i set literally everything exactly as you put in your original photo and 200 cycles later i come back to an empty farm and broken dreams. does your design actually work or not?

The op dates back to august. Some things may have changed since then. I've never used this design myself, but it did give me an idea of how to build something else.

11 hours ago, lbphero said:

i set literally everything exactly as you put in your original photo and 200 cycles later i come back to an empty farm and broken dreams. does your design actually work or not?

Well I just spent over two hours verifying it works so either:

A) No, you did not, in fact, build it exactly as in the OP,

or

B) You used tame hatches and forgot to feed them.

10 hours ago, Yunru said:

Well I just spent over two hours verifying it works so either:

A) No, you did not, in fact, build it exactly as in the OP,

or

B) You used tame hatches and forgot to feed them.

i did use tamed hatches and i did feed them, but was that actually said to be a requirement to begin with anyway? I was just doing it because I also wanted the coal output. i feel like that would've been important to mention. 

Also, I fundamentally cannot prove that I built it exactly as you designed because you didn't actually put the entire build in the screenshot (I.E. whereever the heck your conveyor rails go)  but I went through like 4 or 5 different failed attempts trying to build it exactly as you demonstrated, so if nothing else, I'm pretty sure your device has the smallest room for error i've ever seen short of desperately trying to starvation ranch voles without any grooming.

16 minutes ago, lbphero said:

Also, I fundamentally cannot prove that I built it exactly as you designed because you didn't actually put the entire build in the screenshot

Actually, I did. The rails don't matter, after all. Where they go is not part of the build. What they do, is.

but was that actually said to be a requirement to begin with anyway?

It shouldn't be, as they would eat the corpses of those that starved, but going on the assumption that you're correct in that you built it identically it's the only possibility I can think of. Of course, if you didn't build it correctly, my first question would be "did you add too much water?"

Alas, you've soured me to helping you with your attitude, so I'm afraid you'll have to consult with others. I can say for sure though, that you are the only one thus far to have reported a problem with it, I'll leave you to think that one over.

Just now, Yunru said:

Actually, I did. The rails don't matter, after all.

Although you've soured me to helping you with your attitude, so I'm afraid you'll have to consult with others. I can say for sure though, that you are the only one thus far to have reported a problem with it, I'll leave you to think that one over.

Image result for guess i'll die

Archived