Tips For a Rookie

Hello, everyone.

I am excited about Oxygen Not Included's release from Early Access, the game has come a long way!

I want to ask if anyone has any tips for a Rookie like me?

I haven't played since April and even then I struggled quite a bit.

Any kind of help is appreciated, before I re-hop in this game I wanna have a little bit of knowledge about it by you, the community.

Thank you.

-mathem99

• Don't be afraid to fail.  The bulk of the game is about solving the puzzles the game throws at you.
  • Don't go too big too quickly.  Take things one step at a time.  Best to stick with just one project, as your dupes will split their time between everything you tell them to do.
  • Keep exploring the asteroid.  Everything you need to live for a long time is sitting there, waiting for you to get it.
  • Most of the late game mechanics are completely optional.  Only attempt them if you want to attempt them.
  • Oxygen diffusers and mealwood will cover your survival needs for a very long time.  You can stay on them until you're ready to take on something else as a big new project.
  • Have fun!  If something's frustrating you or, 'Now what?' syndrome sets in, step back, take a break, and think about what's happening and what you want to do next.

On day one, the main thing I try to build is a bathroom. I try to do it in such a way that all the debris is dropped below the floor so that I never risk contamination from the toilet. 

I do a ladder and then 11 tiles, then finish the rest later as needed.

I also build the pitcher pump on day one, but you can't see it in this pic.

ONI01.jpg

1 hour ago, DarkMaster13 said:
  • Don't be afraid to fail.  The bulk of the game is about solving the puzzles the game throws at you.
  • Don't go too big too quickly.  Take things one step at a time.  Best to stick with just one project, as your dupes will split their time between everything you tell them to do.
  • Keep exploring the asteroid.  Everything you need to live for a long time is sitting there, waiting for you to get it.
  • Most of the late game mechanics are completely optional.  Only attempt them if you want to attempt them.
  • Oxygen diffusers and mealwood will cover your survival needs for a very long time.  You can stay on them until you're ready to take on something else as a big new project.
  • Have fun!  If something's frustrating you or, 'Now what?' syndrome sets in, step back, take a break, and think about what's happening and what you want to do next.

1 hour ago, Eli Astronomic said:

On day one, the main thing I try to build is a bathroom. I try to do it in such a way that all the debris is dropped below the floor so that I never risk contamination from the toilet. 

I do a ladder and then 11 tiles, then finish the rest later as needed.

I also build the pitcher pump on day one, but you can't see it in this pic.

ONI01.jpg

Thank you, very much!

If you don't mind me asking, you have any ideas of a good oxygen system? A simple one for starting off in your first few cycles.

4 minutes ago, mathem99 said:

Thank you, very much!

If you don't mind me asking, you have any ideas of a good oxygen system? A simple one for starting off in your first few cycles.

All you need to do to start is expose your base to the oxilite tiles.  After that, build an oxygen diffuser, one per 4 dupes will cover you.  Keep a supply of algae from the starting biome.  That's all you need.

Get a digger dupe and a researcher dupe when starting a map. The third dupe is whatever.

On day 1 I'd say build a bedroom, so your dupes don't sleep on the floor. They get a -athletics debuff if they do that. Build a bathroom also if you can. If you can't, it must be done during cycle 2 morning. 

Dig hard and fast towards water, to the sides, upwards and downwards. You want to know what's around your starting biome. Try to uncover buried objects, but don't dig where unnecessary. That natural tile mass is good for keeping your base temperate. Research only what you need to avoid wasting resources.

Find your ideal early oxygen source, algae deoxydizer if you have access, or rust deoxydizer if you have rust around your starting biome. The latter also generates chlorine, which can be useful if you manage it properly. Oxyferns can help.

Don't touch geysers and vents until you have the necessary dupepower and materials to tame them. Open up water vents and geysers early only if you are lacking oxygen, so you can use electrolyzers, or you know what you are doing. Slush geysers are an exception, just don't freeze yourself.

Ignore everything I said and go on a bold adventure. You won't regret it. Or just a little, maybe =v

1 hour ago, DarkMaster13 said:

All you need to do to start is expose your base to the oxilite tiles.  After that, build an oxygen diffuser, one per 4 dupes will cover you.  Keep a supply of algae from the starting biome.  That's all you need.

And remember mass-loss when you dig a tile. so if you do not want to lose any o2, do not dig oxylite tiles, let them offgas.

And remember: every tile you dig up, wants to be filled with gas - the more you dig, the less gas-pressure you will have

The thing about oxygen is all the oxygen machines shut themselves off when air pressure hits the top of the ideal range. So you literally cannot overbuild them. Note though that they are the only machine that is self regulating. All the rest will run regardless of if you need them or not. 

Archived